Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Why Don't Dealers know?

When we tried to order our Montana we were told by the dealer that Champagne was discontinued and that they wouldn't know what the replacement color would be unti l after the first of 21. Well we found out, got photos and sent it to the dealer and told them we wanted Cobblestone. We ordered from them because they were about 500 miles closer (farther south too) than our second lowest initial price (which couod have beaten them). Order's been in a while and they have no idea when we'll see our rig ("December or January").

Now my question: Is this just the way the RV industry operates?

We're new to RV (boat people) and had this expectation that a dealer would know approximately when our unit would start, about how long it would take to build and transport. Silly us...

RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
The RV industry is way behind on production. I had to get work done at my dealer they had signs saying it could take up to 3 months to get parts. There having a tough time getting parts from manufacturers with Covid going on.plus there is an RV boom going on right now, new RV are sparse on the lots.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There have been more campers sold this year than ever. The manufacturer probably don’t know when they can build your camper. I waited 10 months on a F150 Ford in 2015. Ford build single cab trucks last and that is what I wonted. You might haft to get in line and wait until they are building what you have ordered.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
I understand all the market forces and Covid issues. What I don't get is my wife got photos of the new color that were from a new owner (who had actually ordered Champagne), but yet this dealer had no clue and further stated they would not know for some time. Clearly communication is the issue and I wonder if it is the dealer, the salesman, the factory rep or the company? The thought just occurred to me about the folks who were trying to track down their delivery for 4 days from their hotel while the unit was in the dealers lot. That had to be the dealer not knowing since they told them they hadn't even seen a Super Solar Package unit yet when, in fact, it was on their lot at the time. It just boggles my mind, I see other companies that you can track your order online during the manufacturing process.

Climbing down off my soapbox now...
Old 10-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
Toby62

M.O.C. #27324
I ordered mine 10/16 on the top of the order form effective Sept 1,2020 Bourbon, Cottage White and Cobblestone were the interior colors. Cobblestone available late Oct.
Toby62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Even in the best of times delving within the RV/RV dealer world is unlike virtually anything else - and now covid which impacts not only the manufacturer but all the suppliers they use - it isn't much more than mass confusion. Trying to get something specific, within a set timeframe and trying to do that through the disjointed system that the RV manufacturers and dealers use is, well....problematic at best.

Many of your concerns sound like they are dealer problems but I had another thought; you said you were talking to different dealers and people, some 500 miles apart....maybe further? Something that I encountered earlier this year was the E vs W differences in trailers. Would you possibly be trying to compare notes between dealers that are selling E vs W units? I know when looking at the exact same unit from Keystone in FL and in TX there are a lot of differences - some substantial. Why, no one seems to know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Toby62,
We ordered ours on 9/28 and I had to insist that the dealer obtain the current order form that had the Cobblestone option printed like yours. Do you have a timeframe for your unit?
Old 10-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Sourdough,
Just east, I think you're correct - it is just a different business culture. It is what is, we made the choice to order exactly what we wanted, so now we wait...
Old 10-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
makeithappen
Established Member

M.O.C. #27220
I ordered Sept. 26. Mine is a 3120RL Legacy. Dealer said Mid Dec. and that they will be building legacy orders until then.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Paul & Erika,
Hope ours is in that timeframe too! We're under contract on the sale of our house with a 12/14 closing date. Since we're going fulltime we'll have to find temporary quarters for a bit.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
makeithappen
Established Member

M.O.C. #27220
RipNC,

Yes agreed, we are very excited and can't wait. We aren't going full-time like you just yet. BTW 12/14 is my Birthday, would be a great present if it gets here by then.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #12
nebfox
Established Member

M.O.C. #9715
We ordered a 3231ck and was told it would be early january
nebfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The dealers know what their Keystone regional rep tells them or what they can learn from the factory. Remember that dealers nearly always carry more them one brand of RV. The Rv industry has been hit hard by the covid. It took 3 months to get a hydraulic jack from Lippert.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Calm down folks! As has been noted in previous posts here the covid has messed up the whole RV Industry. The dealers are doing all they can but they have not idea FOR SURE on when your unit will come off the line. They can guestimate but that is all. Remember the Montana Division does not build different units one after the other on the line. They build specific models for a specific time and then change the model and build them for a specific time. Can you imagine the problems if they had to build different models one after the other? That would be a total disaster. Dealers and your salesperson sell you the unit, take your money and HOPE it will be built and delivered in a timely manner. The Area Reps have a very large area to cover and a lot of dealers to visit and communicate the news of the builds. They cannot just climb in a car and hit each dealer daily. There are basically two reasons the dealers are not getting the units they have ordered: 1. There is a shortage of transporters (those are the ones that pick up your unit on the manufacturers lot and deliver it to the dealer) If you need a job and like to drive, here's an opportunity for you to make some money by going to the multiple transporter companies in the Goshen/Elkhart, IN area and applying for a job. 2. Since the Pandemic is worldwide the OEM manufacturers are also sort on both supplies and workers to put out their wares and delivering them to the rv manufacturers. You can't expect Keystone Montana to get your ordered unit because YOU have set a deadline to have it to you. This is not realistic. Take it easy, relax and you will get your units, they just may not be in your timeframe.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:27 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I hope no one is paying and signing for a unit BEFORE it is delivered?? You would be amazed how much faster they can get a unit when you refuse to sign the bottom line until it is sitting in the parking lot! Once they have you on the hook, your more or less powerless.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
Toby62

M.O.C. #27324
Rip I was told late December early January. Holidays may affect completion. I am getting full body paint on mine and it adds approximately 3 weeks extra time
Toby62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:49 AM   #17
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
... I know when looking at the exact same unit from Keystone in FL and in TX there are a lot of differences - some substantial. Why, no one seems to know.
Actually, the reason is because even though the two units might be the exact same model, they are actually built in two different locations of the country. And when getting the materials to build those units, they order those materials from the closest source possible. So, the paneling in one unit might be manufactured in Texas, the other might be manufactured in Indiana from two completely different companies. They are not identical materials.

It's like purchasing honey from Maine vs. California. It's still honey, but the bees live in different parts of the country and the taste of the honey can be worlds apart.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #18
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Actually, the reason is because even though the two units might be the exact same model, they are actually built in two different locations of the country. And when getting the materials to build those units, they order those materials from the closest source possible. So, the paneling in one unit might be manufactured in Texas, the other might be manufactured in Indiana from two completely different companies. They are not identical materials.

It's like purchasing honey from Maine vs. California. It's still honey, but the bees live in different parts of the country and the taste of the honey can be worlds apart.

I understand those kinds of things but one in FL had a ram slide when the one in TX had a cable - pretty big difference.

Edit; to clarify I believe the difference I referenced above was on a Cougar 315rls as I recall (compared a lot of trailers).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Actually, the reason is because even though the two units might be the exact same model, they are actually built in two different locations of the country.....
Say what? Where do they build Montana/High Country other than Goshen? AFAIK everything is built in Goshen.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
Pamc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27351
Montana production schedules

We are the people that found our trailer on the dealers lot after being told it had not arrived yet. It had been there a week. When I talked to factory rep he could look up our Vin# and tell me where the trailer was at in the production process. He was able to tell me WHEN it came off the production line and the date it left the the property! But their communication system with the dealers are lacking.
If you buy from Camping World the communication is worse. Once it leaves the factory property, Keystone loses all contact with the location of the trailer because Camping World has their own transportation system.
FYI regarding not paying for the trailer until it arrives: the Montana Super Solars are built by special order only. So, you have to pay up front. Currently, they are building two per week of the "Super Solars." We ordered ours the beginning of July and was told it would be ABOUT mid- October for delivery. It worked out to be the 3rd week of October.
Pam
Pamc is offline   Reply With Quote