Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #21
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssetw03 View Post
Hi All, New to this site but have viewed things on the forum...thank you for letting me join. I have a 2002 Montana 5er 32RK. It still has the original tires from the original owner..purchased from him in 2007. The tires on it are:
LT 235/85 R16 Load Range E.
I want to but new tires and owner of the RV storage center it would be better/cheaper to purchase new rims with the tires. He sent to a tire dealer he deals with and they want to sell me just tires but is recommending ST vs LT.
I called Keystone and they said to stick with what is on there because they are on there for a reason. They gave me 2 tire manufacturers that they deal with 1 being : Tredittire.com THey are telling that they provide all the camper manufacturers with the same tire a ST their issues for Light Truck (LT) tires.
I am confused as to how to proceed....BTW...getting a vrey good price from them of : $103.37 per tire mounted on a 6 lug White MOD rim.
Can anyone give me some advice. Thank you
Eddie - ssetw03@yahoo.com
Watch someone backing a 5er into a site, especiallhy the tire sidewalls. An LT tire is NOT designed to deform that way, the ST is. BTW, buying some unknown brand to save $50 vs the thousands in repairs when it blows and rips out the floor is not good judgement.

3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #22
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I hope everyone has told you to only use ST tires on your trailer!!!!!!
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #23
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
Keystone installed Ranier tires on our MHC321MK. Got 11,000 miles out of them and that was pushing it. Didn't replace them sooner because we were on a trip from Ohio to Alaska and back. Had to hit the brakes hard one time and one tire had the tread tear up like it was made from a pencil eraser. The only good thing is that is was in Indiana on the last day of our return trip.
BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #24
jimc100
Established Member

M.O.C. #18876
Michelin XPS rib

I understand the potential problems with running LT tires on a trailer, however you will not go wrong with the XPS rib except for the premium price. Had a 35" Bighorn that went through China bombs before switching to the Michelins and never had another problem. Expensive but the peace of mind was worth it (now using Goodyear G614s on my 3160rl and happy).
jimc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #25
John_F

M.O.C. #26571
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
I hope everyone has told you to only use ST tires on your trailer!!!!!!
I would spend the few extra bucks and get the Goodyear endurance. Well worth the money. I have them on all 5(!) of my trailers. Never had a blowout and they wear a long time. Cheap tires are the most expensive tires you can buy. LT tires are not designed for lateral loads like sharp backing. I have seen more than one LT let loose while backing into a tight spot.
John_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #26
ssetw03
Established Member

M.O.C. #26669
Well was still researching tires and dealers....tried the other place that Keystone recommended ,,Lionshead...left may last week and again Monday...still no reply from them and called again on the phone but could not get anyone on the phone...so I called Keystone again...got a very nice and knowledgeable girl on the phone. We chatted fora good while and she was digging into my 2002...didn't hair bbn e some info on hand like VIN but she still took the time to help me. She said definitely go with ST tires as that is all they have been using for years and believes on mine. My unit is stored about an hour south of my home but she told me to look on the I side of driver side unit storage compartment where it will tell me exactly what was mou Ted on my unit. She thinks that whoever had unit previous to me changed out the tires. My unit is a 2002 that I bought in 2006...was told that they were original ...now believing g they weren't. With all.l that discussion with her need to check the unit now. But at least now it looks like with everyone's help here and Keystone looks like I will be going with ST....thank you everyone...
ssetw03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #27
ssetw03
Established Member

M.O.C. #26669
ST vs LT tires

85 vs 80 R16 tires - another question...girl from Keystone was talking 80 tires...the ones on the unit are LT 235/85 R16 LR E....not sure what the differences are....replies ? Again thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #28
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The 80 or 85 numbers are the Aspect Ratio.

The aspect ratio is a percentage. It’s the height of the sidewall measured from wheel rim to top of the tread, expressed as a percentage of tire width. In other words, it’s sidewall height divided by tire width.

If you have tires with an 85 aspect ratio then they are not the original tires. Montana used 235/80 LT tires in 2002.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #29
RVTraveler

M.O.C. #8709
Sailun vs. Goodyear

I just went through this tire replacement process for my 2004 2950 Montana. I previously had the Michelin Rib which I think is the best tire on the market for E rated tires. I ran them slightly over 10 years and they still had great tread and had never had a flat but cost is high. I'm not going to live another 10 years RV'ing. I wanted to go to Sailun because of all the great ratings but I really didn't want to buy new 110 psi rated wheels. The Goodyear Endurance was also getting good reviews and since I have the 6000 lb axles, I don't need the super weight capacity the Sailun provides. Many, including tire dealers, suggested running 80 psi in the Sailun and they say "everyone does it". But I was talking to Michelin customer service and they told me to be very careful about reducing tire pressure on a trailer tire. Trailers put stress on tires, especially when turning/maneuvering, that trucks do not. They also suggested that reducing tire pressure down a certain percentage is getting near what many (?) manufacturers consider a "run flat" situation which is dangerous because of heat buildup and voids warranties. I went with the Goodyear Endurance. It meets my weight requirements, plenty of cushion on the speed rating, and so far, good reputation.
RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #30
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTraveler View Post
I just went through this tire replacement process for my 2004 2950 Montana. I previously had the Michelin Rib which I think is the best tire on the market for E rated tires. I ran them slightly over 10 years and they still had great tread and had never had a flat but cost is high. I'm not going to live another 10 years RV'ing. I wanted to go to Sailun because of all the great ratings but I really didn't want to buy new 110 psi rated wheels. The Goodyear Endurance was also getting good reviews and since I have the 6000 lb axles, I don't need the super weight capacity the Sailun provides. Many, including tire dealers, suggested running 80 psi in the Sailun and they say "everyone does it". But I was talking to Michelin customer service and they told me to be very careful about reducing tire pressure on a trailer tire. Trailers put stress on tires, especially when turning/maneuvering, that trucks do not. They also suggested that reducing tire pressure down a certain percentage is getting near what many (?) manufacturers consider a "run flat" situation which is dangerous because of heat buildup and voids warranties. I went with the Goodyear Endurance. It meets my weight requirements, plenty of cushion on the speed rating, and so far, good reputation.

Only negative thing I have read about the Endurance is mileage, they have a shallow tread depth, and wear out very quickly. For a lot of RV owners thats not a problem, they usually age out before they wear out, but if you are a high mileage traveler, they may were out faster then you would like .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #31
ssetw03
Established Member

M.O.C. #26669
Once again all good feedback thanks to everyone....have some more quote research to do now....Eddie
Old 07-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #32
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Once again all good feedback thanks to everyone....have some more quote research to do now....Eddie

You got two choices ,Endurance or Sailun Can't imagine what more you need , I don't mean this in a mean way, you have gotten advice from years of experience . Go get one of the two ,and be done .
Old 07-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #33
ssetw03
Established Member

M.O.C. #26669
ST vs LT tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
You got two choices ,Endurance or Sailun Can't imagine what more you need , I don't mean this in a mean way, you have gotten advice from years of experience . Go get one of the two ,and be done .
What I was meaning was the pricing.....when I said Quote research...thx
Old 07-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #34
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
I found the specs and Keystone brochure for your trailer. It was equipped with 2 6000# axles and four ST235/80R16 LRE tires. Those tires provided more than just adequate - even by todays standards - load capacity reserves when inflated to a cold 80 PSI.

Your options are ST235/80R16 LRE, LRF or LRG. Brands are a personal choice. Your wheels will have be rated for the higher PSI values of the LRF or LRG tires to take advantage of their increased load capacities.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #35
Anatnom
Established Member

M.O.C. #23514
Great discussion here on this I like the ST for a trailer since they allow more flex when cornering than LT tires.. I had Goodyear Marathon tires and they were from China I had three blowouts at night all within a few hours on tires that were only a couple years old and a few thousand miles on them. Tore up the side of my camper real bad. Even the Goodyear dealer in Knoxville told me to get rid of all the Marathon tires. I did I got new Good year Endurance tires ((ST) and the best thing I could do. these USA tires are heavy duty and firm. I would recommend you get them balanced.. Many places say it isn't necessary but I think it's a great idea for a smooth ride for the trailer and for wear on the tire...I like low profile tires. Wider tread and the trailer axle lower but it may hit some suspension parts best to stick with the size you have.
Anatnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #36
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
I found the specs and Keystone brochure for your trailer. It was equipped with 2 6000# axles and four ST235/80R16 LRE tires.
Do you have a link to those specs and brochure? I believe they used LT tires as STs didn't exist in 2002.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:27 AM   #37
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
[QUOTE=Carl n Susan;1191759]
Quote:
I found the specs and Keystone brochure for your trailer. It was equipped with 2 6000# axles and four ST235/80R16 LRE tires. /QUOTE]
Do you have a link to those specs and brochure? I believe they used LT tires as STs didn't exist in 2002.
Old brochures and spec sheets are not always accurate. Only the individual trailer certification knows for sure.

I know for sure that our 2003 Everest came with OEM ST tires. I'm confident that all Keystone trailers from late 2004 to early 2006 having 6000# axles had OEM Uniroyal LT tires.

Only the vehicle manufacturer gets to select and fit original equipment (OEM) tires. That makes the tire designated size on the vehicle certification label the minimum standard for that trailer.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #38
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
[QUOTE=CalandLinda;1191771]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post

Old brochures and spec sheets are not always accurate. Only the individual trailer certification knows for sure.

I know for sure that our 2003 Everest came with OEM ST tires. I'm confident that all Keystone trailers from late 2004 to early 2006 having 6000# axles had OEM Uniroyal LT tires or a China built LT tire now out of business.

Only the vehicle manufacturer gets to select and fit original equipment (OEM) tires. That makes the tire designated size on the vehicle certification label the minimum standard for that trailer.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #39
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
What I was meaning was the pricing.....when I said Quote research...thx
Walmart sold me the Sailuns at the lowest price. Simpletire was a close second. Also Amazon can be competitive . As far as the Endurance, never been interested in them, only mentioned them because for lighter applications they could be an option. I wouldn't even consider them for 15,500-16,500 GVWR fifth wheel .
Old 07-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #40
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
[QUOTE=Carl n Susan;1191759]
Quote:
I found the specs and Keystone brochure for your trailer. It was equipped with 2 6000# axles and four ST235/80R16 LRE tires. /QUOTE]

The ST's sure existed in 2008. Mission brand came on my 2008 3400RL when I ordered it. I did get away with them for about 18 months. Then went with the G614's . When I was getting them installed there were two G614's in the shop with no tread on them , that didn't exactly give me a warm feeling about them. They had remained inflated ,but threw the tread.

Then Keystone or whoever sold the wheels recertified them to 110 psi, so many went to the G614 on that information only to have them change their minds on the recertification . They even went as far as sending out stickers for them. Anyway had no issues with the wheels for nearly 10 years running G rated tires. Just more nonsense that went on with tires, and wheels from Keystone, that seems to still continue today.