Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #41
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Second gem nut would definitely do it. But you got to take the whole thing apart to get it on there then realign it. Like you said they did the cheapest quickest thing possible.

How about a piece of rubber in a hose clamp just to keep it from backing off

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #42
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Second gem nut would definitely do it. But you got to take the whole thing apart to get it on there then realign it. Like you said they did the cheapest quickest thing possible.

How about a piece of rubber in a hose clamp just to keep it from backing off
I like that better than a weld. Being so easy to keep an eye on it I think I'd try other stuff before I'd let some body weld it.

But then again there is the issue of liability. If I chose to ignore the official "fix" and it came loose..... The lawyers would eat us alive. It's definitely a tough one.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #43
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
I like that better than a weld. Being so easy to keep an eye on it I think I'd try other stuff before I'd let some body weld it.

But then again there is the issue of liability. If I chose to ignore the official "fix" and it came loose..... The lawyers would eat us alive. It's definitely a tough one.
It's all good until some tech is not paying attention and welds the nut to the threaded tie rod
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #44
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
What happened to the old tried and proven split sleeve and a heavy clamp on each end. Fords use these on both the tie rod ends as well as the drag link - and after installing some in the past couple days, have to say they are TOUGH. I suspect GM has used them too as they are not inexpensive. The one shown is about $25 and change, jobber cost

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #45
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The consensus that the Cummins has THE powerplant is about right. Coupled to the Aisin trans makes it an awesome powertrain. The consensus that the rest of the truck is lacking quality is about right.

The deal with welding the steering components is a temporary fix. The long term fix has not been approved for installation. There was another add on bracket that had to be installed on some models. It in my opinion it was crude at best. My friend had his steering components fail which resulted in a bad wreck. They replaced his truck with a new one.

I've lost count but I'm up to 10 or 11 recalls.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #46
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
All done. New steering components and a passed inspection today. Took it to our local Ford dealer to finalize my plumb bob and string alignment (which turned out to be in spec) for that work.

I will say that these steering parts are dang heavy duty as the tie rods are 1-3/8" diameter and a solid steel forging
Old 11-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #47
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
That's ridiculous now you have no toe adjustment unless you cut the welds loose
I took mine in for the recall and when they told me of the fix , I went ballistic. I had to have it fixed cause of liability so I told the guy to put the smallest weld on it possible in case I needed to adjust it in the future.
Engineers, smart but no common sence.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #48
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Engineers, smart but no common sence.

Not the engineering problem. They do the best design possible then the finance people get hold of it and require that they dumb it down to the cheapest possible fix that would work through any liability time. This is for new as well as redesign. I spent waaaay too many years justifying stuff to a 22 year old just out of college "expert" who didn't have a clue on how parts and pieces needed to work together
Old 11-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #49
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Not the engineering problem. They do the best design possible then the finance people get hold of it and require that they dumb it down to the cheapest possible fix that would work through any liability time. This is for new as well as redesign. I spent waaaay too many years justifying stuff to a 22 year old just out of college "expert" who didn't have a clue on how parts and pieces needed to work together
I've known veteran engineers that didn't have a clue about how companies make a profit.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #50
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
I’m not condemning all engineers, it one the designed this recall procedure should be tarred and feathered.

And some of the Ones that designed spark plug placement on some Ford big blocks.
Sorry if you were offended but if you guys had to work on this stuff you would know how we feel.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote