Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2023, 06:04 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Knee Replacement Followup

On July 31, 2017 I had a total right knee replacement. Everything went well, and today I am, probably 99% where I use to be before the surgery. It's been almost 6 years now since the surgery.

The last follow up visit I had with my surgeon was at the 1 year mark. I was suppose to have a follow up at year 3 and then again at year 5 and then again at year 10.

When year 4 rolled around I asked my doctor why I never had any follow ups after year 1 and that's when he told me my surgeon retired (somewhere between my year 1 and year 2.) I asked asked him then to hook me up with a new surgeon, which never happened. I figured if my family doctor wasn't concerned, I shouldn't be either. I felt the knee was was just fine.

Well, my family doctor retired and I got another new family doctor in the same practice that took his place. On one of the first meeting with him I talked to him about my knee and he said he'd hook me up with a new surgeon for followups. Well, THAT never happened either.

So, here it is, going on almost 6 years. I am doing just fine! Really, Absolutely no issues at all. I still don't run, and yes, I can now even sit Indiana style again. But, it's been bugging me about not having any follow up visits for the knee. I figure the next time I see my family doctor I'll push it. I want to keep the doctors in the same network and I still need his referrals.

So, imagine my dismay when I got a letter in the mail from my health network stating there is a RECALL on my artificial knee!!!

The paper work gave me a phone number I need to contact, talked about insurance reimbursement and all of that, and where I need to get started to determine if my implant needs additional "maintenance" or not. YIKES!

Here's an exert from the letter I received:

"Dear Valued Patient,

Because the safety and health of our patients is our top priority, we are writing to inform you that between the years of 2004 and 2022, you received a specific type of partial or total knee replacement system that was manufactured by the orthopedic device company, Exactech, Inc, headquartered in Gainsville, Florida, USA.

Exactech, Inc, has recently implemented a recall of one component of the knee replacement device that you received and is communicating with surgeons and patients who have utilized this knee replacement model.

During a recent review of its knee implant manufacturing process, Exactech learned that one of the packaging layers for the plastic insert has been out-of-specification and may allow oxygen from the air to diffuse into the plastic insert prior to it being implanted in yur knee. If a large amount of oxygen diffuses into the plastic insert prior to it being implanted in your knee, this can lead to a process called oxidation, which can cause the plastic to wear out earlier than expected or to become damaged after it is implanted into the patient's body. ... "

HAS ANYONE ELSE RECEIVED THIS NOTICE? I'm calling the number today to see what has to be done, how, and when.

If you have not received this notice, you might check with your family doctor or your knee replacement surgeon (if they are still in business and not retired).

I'm not sure how this is going to work out, especially since both my original doctors in 2017 are now retired. But, it's still the same network, so hopefully this will all work out ok.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:30 AM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Dutchman I hope you find some good feedback here. I still have all of me OE equipment, but gimp around more than i like due to my back. I can only imagine your uncertainty and frustration of not knowing. Man is unfortunately only as good as his word. Remember to leave your worries in the Good Lord's hands and His plan for you. I'm sure you will get the answers you need. Keep us posted, for you have an extended family right here.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:08 AM   #3
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Got a knee replaced during the recall time period. If I received the same notice, I guess I'd respond, but if the replacement is not bothering me, I sure wouldn't want another surgery.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:17 AM   #4
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
A recall on a vehicle or an appliance is inconvenient, a recall on a medical device is downright scary. I know this doesn't make you feel any better, but we have a friend who got a recall notice on her artificial heart valve.

I had a partial (inner) knee replacement in 2005, mine is a Stryker I believe. I realize you've been through it before but my understanding is that a total replacement is a much more difficult recovery than a partial because they have to cut the ACL for a total.

I also had a hip replacement a couple of years later on the opposite side which I'm told is the worst scenario. Trust me; the knee was a much easier recovery than the hip. The last time I had to learn to walk was over 60 years prior.

I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery if you have to do a mulligan.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 01:18 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Most people don’t know that plastic can absorb oxygen and moisture. When it does it changes size. I made some parts for a customer and sent some and put some on the shelf. When I sent the second shipment they were all out of specifications. How could that be? They had absorbed moisture and grew. I put them in an oven at 200 degrees backed the water out and they shrunk back to size.
This could be what is happening to your knee.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:03 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Becky had her right knee replaced in 2015, and some months later an infection erupted. The surgery after that replaced the plastic spacer, cleaned out the infection and she was on a picc line infusion of antibiotics for six weeks. Things were looking good, picc line was removed, but a day and a half later the knee was fully swelled up again. A while later, surgery #3, the hardware was removed, replaced with an antibiotic spacer and six more weeks of antibiotic via a picc line infusion. Finally, surgery #4, she had new hardware installed and is doing well, except that leg is about a 1/2" longer than the other. All this was due to a staph infection, likely from the hospital. All this to say, I don't think replacing the plastic spacer is too dramatic a surgery and it's great that it's not the hardware that has to be replaced. Removal of hardware requires the use of a slide hammer device. Good luck. I had my right hip replaced the end of 2015 and the left one replaced October 2021, and both were easy, same surgeon that did Becky's initial knee replacement. Knees and hips are both considered outpatient surgeries now by Medicare.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:43 PM   #7
Griller
Established Member

M.O.C. #29611
I feel your frustration i had a total knee replacement in 2022 i hope i don’t get a letter like this
Griller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:42 AM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Hopefully only some units installed had an issue and yours is not one of them. Other than that, I'm glad you're doing great.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:19 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Frist update:
After half a day of frustration, I HAD to make an appointment with my family doctor for a "referral" to a surgeon. So today, I'm meeting with him for the "referral". Appointment is at 2:30.

What's the frustration? OK... Friday about 6:00 I realized I had that letter and attempted to call the phone number supplied, just to find out they were closed and would open Monday morning at 8:00 am.

I waited and bit my teeth all week-end. Monday morning at 8:15 I called. Just to find out they are on Central time and Indiana is on Eastern. I had to wait another hour.

OK, I made the call again and got right through. No waiting. I got the information, told the rep my dilemma with my doctor retiring and she advised going through my health system to locate another doctor.

I then tried calling the original phone number for my original surgeon's office (still part of the same system) and was on HOLD for 30 minutes. By now, I'm fuming! What's going on with me and phone calls! Sheesh!

So, now I'm even more mad. I hung up and tried calling my family doctor! Unbelievable .... I was on HOLD for 15 minutes and never got through. Now I'm beyond mad.

I decided to drive over. The distance is about 20 miles one way, since we no longer live in that area, but while driving, I REALLY tried to keep my cool.

Well, the main road going from my house to town has 2 bridges out. I took the back road, local yocal detour that's not posted (you know what I mean).

I went back to the original office where my original surgeon was and ... there is now no orthopedic doctors in that building, no joint replacement surgeons any more! There was a cosmetologist (ok, a pimple doctor!) I did go in and talk to the receptionist and she said the surgeons moved out of that building years ago. And she said, THEY were not part of my health care network either. I thanked her politely and decided to go to the MAIN hospital this time.

OK, I got help, but by now, I'm exploding. OK, I was rough on that old lady, but she listened. She got ahold of my doctor office and was able to talk to a real person. I ended up talking to my doctor's nurse and after a lengthy discussion, she asked if I wanted to be transferred to make an appointment and I politely told her HELL NO. I wasn't going to be on hold for another 30 minutes or longer. I was at the hospital (within a mile) and I'd just come in and make the appointment. She was OK with that.

I thanked the dear lady and apologized for being so gruff and really did thank her, because she was the first person who actually helped me.

I took of in the truck only to be detoured by yet another road construction. The road my doctor's office was completely blocked ... OH GREAT! More frustration.

I ended up driving another couple miles so I could turn around, and cut through a gas station, came out the other side, and swung around to the other end of the road for my doctor's office.

I then finally went inside and was able to make an appointment for today!

When telling my story to the office people who made the appointment, SHE told me their phones were out all morning, not working right, and it was affected across their entire health care network.

Now you know the rest of the story!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:32 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I feel your frustration. What you received is "Customer Service 2023"
Old 05-02-2023, 07:19 PM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
My brother had both knees replaced at the same time. he went to the surgeon for his first follow up visit. the surgeon told him his knees were recalled 3 days after the surgery. there was an issue with teh metal bonding with the bone. He is on his 4th replacement on his left knee.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:13 PM   #12
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
Nano Knee

My wife had a Nano knee installed last Sept. She walked out of the hospital with a walker three hours later. No physical therapy needed. Nano knee will be the way to go for me in the future. The neighbor had one knee done full replacement, after we told her about the Nano knee she had the other knee done with the Nano knee. She said she would never have had the full one done if she knew about the Kano knee.
offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:25 AM   #13
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Just subscribing to the thread as my knees are starting to "wear out".

What scares me is the chance for infection. A lady friend of ours had a knee replaced a couple months ago. Nasty staph infection and still using a walker. Last week she had a heart attack though seems to be doing well but that infection supposedly was the cause/

Dutchman - hope you get some real answers today. My primary and dentist both retired during COVID with my DW facing the same with her docs
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:22 AM   #14
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Hang in there Dutchman. When you have a bad day you REALLY have a bad day! Keep us posted with updates. Wish you well
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:41 AM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you are like me your knees are wearing out and will need to have them replaced. I think are hearing the horror stories. The vast majority of people who have their knees replaced have no problem so if you need them replaced don’t worry get it done.
Lynwood
Old 05-03-2023, 11:54 AM   #16
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
NANO KNEE mentioned above sounds interesting.
I’m not in need yet - just an occasional hitch due to RA.
My dad had both hips and knees replaced in his 80s. According to my late mother - they were all difficult procedures. Fortunately Dutchmen - me and you are still spry kids of 68…should be a cakewalk!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:55 PM   #17
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
NANO KNEE mentioned above sounds interesting.
I’m not in need yet - just an occasional hitch due to RA.
My dad had both hips and knees replaced in his 80s. According to my late mother - they were all difficult procedures. Fortunately Dutchmen - me and you are still spry kids of 68…should be a cakewalk!

You young pups! I was in much better shape then than now at almost 77. Enjoy it while you can!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 01:51 PM   #18
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Aging sucks but could present an interesting poll:

How many MOC members have artificial body parts.

Are you the six million dollar man or the bionic woman ?
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #19
deb50jean
Established Member

M.O.C. #20316
Smile Knees - what a headache!

I had my first knee replaced in 1999, the second one in 2004. I did super both times. I did everything they told me therapy wise and had real good range of motion plus no limp! Fast forward to 2007 I slipped on black ice and broke my femur on the 1999 knee. It broke right above the artificial knee and spiraled all the way up the back of the femur. I have a very long rod in my leg that is attached to the upper part of the knee replacement, also about 20 screws holding it all together. Spent 4 months in a wheel chair, 4 more with a walker. It was a year before I walked somewhat normal. The surgeon told me afterwards he didn't know if I'd ever walk again! I have a limp most of the time and that leg is about a half inch shorter, only use a cane if I have to walk a longer distance. So in about 2019 the 1999 knee started to bother me. The surgeon said maybe he could replace the plastic spacers if I could find out what kind of replacement they had used. Needless to say that surgeon from 1999 had retired, I sent papers to the hospital where I went to get my records - nothing! So now my surgeon says he's hesitate to replace that 1999 knee because it might open up a whole new can of worms with that rod. His advice was to be really nice to 1999 knee! I'm dealing with it and just keep telling myself at least I can walk. I'm 73 now, so I hope I can baby 1999 knee until the good Lord calls me home.
deb50jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Aging sucks but could present an interesting poll:

How many MOC members have artificial body parts.

Are you the six million dollar man or the bionic woman ?
I’m not a 6 million dollar man but I Will someday need a right knee. My wife is a bionic woman. She had a knee replacement. She took one pain pill after the surgery and now has full range of motion.
Lynwood