Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2022, 05:38 AM   #21
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
Do you leave the batteries installed in the sensors all the time? If so how long do they last?
After installing the system in July I have not removed anything nor turned the repeater off except when having 4 new tires installed in August. Have been very pleased with the system.

Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:32 PM   #22
Pathfinder75
Established Member

M.O.C. #19500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
Do you leave the batteries installed in the sensors all the time? If so how long do they last?
I Have the same 2017 353RL. TST 507 non-flow through. Removed theft collars when new so it is easy to remove sensor to check or add air. Also makes batterys easy to change also. Flow through sensor being longer is my onlcompatible. Have not chosen them, I'm sure they are fine. Believe I've changed batteries twice so maybe 24 months average life. I have considered removing sensors for winter but that never happened. Travel in winter now also so still not going to happen. REPEATER is wired to clearance light for power since they are on to power rear camera.
*Rainer E rated tires came off starting 2018 season. MY BROTHER had so many blow outs with his E rated tires I feared them so change early. Current Sailuns over 35K miles and 5 summers now so will change Sailun S637 tires this winter. I ROTATE (all 5 tires added spare tire aluminum rim with new Sallilun tires.) YEARLY ALONG WITH INSPECT SUSPENSION AND BEARINGS YEARLY.
*Shock Asorbers I also want to do. Do that in 2023 and probably swap out leaf springs for preventive reasons.
* Pin Box alway wanted Morryde Box but never convinced it would change much for chucking as really only an issue on Georga Interstates. Guessing their relief Cracks don't match my wheel base well.
* Disc Brakes and wet bolts two years ago. Surprised bushings not worn-out like some others show in their post.
*Batteries 100AH - I added two with the 2 the Dealer supplied. Now finishing 6 summers think I will replace with Lithium but also need to change Converter to be compatable.charging voltage.
HAVE SAFE Travels

2017 Montana HC 353RL - Sailun S637's, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB, B&W Companion OEM puck mt.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #23
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
I'm not looking at a TPMS yet, but I need to replace the tires on my 5th wheel. I'm a newbie with a 2019 41' Montana HC 380TH, And I've had to blowouts. I've only taken it out 5 times and all of those trips were 1.5 hours each way, so not a lot of miles. One was a freak blowout, the other I don't know. While the tries don't look bad, they are obviously the originals, so time to change. I was reading your post about the Sailun brand. I also don't want to pay $500 p/tiire.

I have an interesting dilemma. My model's specs everywhere - even Keystones site and brochure - say I only have 2 axles and 4 tires. Even the pictures show just 2 tires p/side. my 2019 380TH has 3 axels and 6 tires. Can't find anyone to explain that, but it is what it is.

This is what is currently on the RV,

Manufacture: Rainier ST
Series: ST 235/80R16
12 PR load range F tubeless
Max load single 3860 pounds at 95 psi cold
Max load dual 3420 pounds at 95 psi cold
Tread 2 steel +3 polyester +1 nylon
Sidewall 3 polyester

The tires you mention are G rated and 14 ply. I was going to go with 12 ply, but obviously would prefer 14. I realize you can't tell me if those tires are a fit for me, but at the price I find them listed would probably let me get 6 tires replaced and balanced for under $1,500.

Anyone have thoughts?
KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:31 AM   #24
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by KausalityKid View Post
I'm not looking at a TPMS yet, but I need to replace the tires on my 5th wheel. I'm a newbie with a 2019 41' Montana HC 380TH, And I've had to blowouts. I've only taken it out 5 times and all of those trips were 1.5 hours each way, so not a lot of miles. One was a freak blowout, the other I don't know. While the tries don't look bad, they are obviously the originals, so time to change. I was reading your post about the Sailun brand. I also don't want to pay $500 p/tiire.

I have an interesting dilemma. My model's specs everywhere - even Keystones site and brochure - say I only have 2 axles and 4 tires. Even the pictures show just 2 tires p/side. my 2019 380TH has 3 axels and 6 tires. Can't find anyone to explain that, but it is what it is.

Sidewall 3 polyester

The tires you mention are G rated and 14 ply. I was going to go with 12 ply, but obviously would prefer 14. I realize you can't tell me if those tires are a fit for me, but at the price I find them listed would probably let me get 6 tires replaced and balanced for under $1,500.

Anyone have thoughts?
In your case I would install 6 Sailun S637 14PLY tires in 235/85 x 16 tires and run them at 90 psi.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:27 AM   #25
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by KausalityKid View Post

Sidewall 3 polyester

Anyone have thoughts?
Seems as if you have a unicorn! Keep in mind, TPMS may have allowed you to stop before those blowouts did any damage at all. For a 3 axle toy hauler you have 33% more risk/opportunity for a blowout than us 2 axle folks...since its recommended to replace both tires (per axle) at the same time, a TPMS system has the potential to pay for itself if you can prevent just 1 blowout from causing any damage.
That said, many on here recommend Sailun S637 G rated tires, which are the ones I just installed. Not having any personal experience with them, for $180/tire I think they are currently the best choice for most.
Since there is confusion on your specs, I think the first thing you should do is get your trailer weighed (fully loaded) so as to put to rest what your tire requirements are and what your optimum tire pressure should be.
Second, verify your rims are rated for at least 110 psi as most tire installers will not put G rated tires on them if not
Third, make your tire choice, have them installed, make sure they are balanced.
Lastly, know your tires weight and speed limitations. The Rainiers I had were limited to 3520 lbs each @ 81 mph , the (Vietnam) Sailuns are 4080 lbs each @ 75mph. Safe travels.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:49 PM   #26
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
I've had 2 Rainer tires come apart like they were recaps on the same rig except a year newer. pressures were right where they should be, cause substantial damage to the under carriage. I've decided to go to G rated tires, every trailer I've owned I've gone up a load range or two and never had problems. Cheap Chinese tires, I'm buying US made this time around, Goodyear or K9's. around $200 to $250 a tire but well worth not having the aggravation of blow outs, etc.
RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:12 PM   #27
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDH View Post
.....I'm buying US made this time around, Goodyear or K9's. around $200 to $250 a tire but well worth not having the aggravation of blow outs, etc.
Goodyear G614 G rated tires are MUCH more than $200 to $250. A better choice price-wise and performance-wise is the G rated Sailun 637. Yes they are made off shore but have a good track record on RVs.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote