Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #1
ScaryPapa
Established Member

M.O.C. #30351
Winegard ConnecT 2.0 On/Off Switch

We just took our first trip in our new 2022 3121RL. The Winegard ConnecT 2.0 was on all the time. Whether we were running on battery or 120V. The manual says there is a shut off switch, but we couldn't find one. Anyone know where this switch is? I fine it hard to believe it should be on all the time.
Thanks

Old 06-08-2022, 06:35 PM   #2
M&M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27628
The Winegard gateway comes with a switch. I've read that its often dealer install, and they opt to not install the switch or they install in the ceiling. If you had the switch, it's would be easy to add it next to the gateway on the ceiling. I didn't like the ceiling option, so I chose to pull a new power feed and install the switch in the control center next to the other switches.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #3
OldJimi
Established Member

M.O.C. #31788
I have installed the Winegard Gateway 1000 in my Montana 3231CK and thus is what I did:

As you stated, the Gateway kit includes a switch to you can install to turn the unit on and off. Since the Gateway gets mounted on the ceiling, there is no convenient place to mount the switch where it's readily accessible unless you run long wires to put it on a wall somewhere. There is a video on Youtube showing hos to trim the plastic case of the Gateway to put the switch on the side, but, at least in the 3231CK, you would still have a requirement to get on a step stool to reach the ceiling.

After a little research, I found an inexpensive remote controlled 12V electrical switch.
Smart RF Relay Switch eMylo Wireless Remote Control Switch DC 12V RF Receiver 433Mhz Relay Module Home Automation with Two Transmitters One 1-Channel 1Pack
No soldering required for installation, comes with two double wire press to clamp connectors. simply connect your powwer wires to the input side of the swith and the output wires to input side of the Winegard, stuff the switch into the hole where the other wires come out and you're done. The two remote are identical, an "A" button to turn on and a "B" button to turn off. It's RF so line of site not required.

I've had mine installed for over a mnoth now without trouble. The Gateway seems to work better if I turn it off when I won't be using it in a while and some times, after heavy use, I have to do a power reset to let it reestablish contact with the cell provider or the camp WiFi.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
My Wiengard gateway is on all the time. No real need to turn if off unless I was unplugged or the solar was inactive. It's no different then a router in your home. If you're worried about a battery drain, shut off the battery disconnect.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:07 PM   #5
OldJimi
Established Member

M.O.C. #31788
I have not had reliable service with mine, between cell service dropping internet and Gateway losing contact with cell service, I found found a power reset cleared things up. Install was a headache - my unit was physically different than the one in the instruction illustrations. I think I will change my cell service soon and see if that helps with reliability.

I've always been in the habit of tuning off my internet connection at night - no point in leaving an opening into your network when you don't need it, although I don't do that with my phone, just my router.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:23 PM   #6
rbrown0040

M.O.C. #33527
Was you wired in a loop

[

Was your wires in a loop if so how did you wire into the rf box. Looks like a good solution you have
QUOTE=OldJimi;1266114]I have installed the Winegard Gateway 1000 in my Montana 3231CK and thus is what I did:

As you stated, the Gateway kit includes a switch to you can install to turn the unit on and off. Since the Gateway gets mounted on the ceiling, there is no convenient place to mount the switch where it's readily accessible unless you run long wires to put it on a wall somewhere. There is a video on Youtube showing hos to trim the plastic case of the Gateway to put the switch on the side, but, at least in the 3231CK, you would still have a requirement to get on a step stool to reach the ceiling.

After a little research, I found an inexpensive remote controlled 12V electrical switch.
Smart RF Relay Switch eMylo Wireless Remote Control Switch DC 12V RF Receiver 433Mhz Relay Module Home Automation with Two Transmitters One 1-Channel 1Pack
No soldering required for installation, comes with two double wire press to clamp connectors. simply connect your powwer wires to the input side of the swith and the output wires to input side of the Winegard, stuff the switch into the hole where the other wires come out and you're done. The two remote are identical, an "A" button to turn on and a "B" button to turn off. It's RF so line of site not required.

I've had mine installed for over a mnoth now without trouble. The Gateway seems to work better if I turn it off when I won't be using it in a while and some times, after heavy use, I have to do a power reset to let it reestablish contact with the cell provider or the camp WiFi.[/QUOTE]
rbrown0040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:02 PM   #7
OldJimi
Established Member

M.O.C. #31788
Hello R,
As I recall, it was like a long section of twin lead wire almost like lamp cord that passed through the opening. I pulled a long section out to work with and separated the two wires, the positive from the negative, for about 8 inches, removed an inch of insulation from them midway, folded each wire back on itself and twisted the bare wire ends so that I had a lead for each polarity. I used wire nuts to twist on a smaller diameter lead wire and shield the bare sections. The ends of those I inserted in the switch connection points and snapped them close.
I did it that way because I had plenty of different sized wire nuts on hand and wasn't absolutely certain that the switch would work. There are easier solutions available that I would choose if I were doing it today: TICONN 120pcs T-Tap Wire Connectors - no need to expose bare wire at all, much neater, faster, and less bulky.
Old 10-24-2023, 12:43 PM   #8
rbrown0040

M.O.C. #33527
Thank you appreciate. Mine is a loop wire that also feeds my maxx fan. I cut the wire and then had to wire wrap the wires I cut to the hot and neutral wire of gateway. I agree with using the tap but local hardware store did not so did it the old fashioned way. I thought your rf solution was a great idea for on/off. But don’t think it will work since it was a looped wire and also feeds my maxx fan. I just installed and what I am doing for now is to remove gateway from ceiling disconnect power cord from gateway when not using works but a little cumbersome. Better then running wire to a displaced on/off switch. Was hoping your wire was a loop also to understand how you wire thanks anyway and do appreciate your reply
Robert
rbrown0040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 02:44 PM   #9
OldJimi
Established Member

M.O.C. #31788
I'm sorry, I may have confused you. The switch connects only to the power wires feeding the Gateway. The switch is inserted in the Gateway power line, two wire inputs from power side, two wire outputs to the connecter that plugs in to the Gateway.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:50 PM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown0040 View Post
Thank you appreciate. Mine is a loop wire that also feeds my maxx fan. I cut the wire and then had to wire wrap the wires I cut to the hot and neutral wire of gateway. I agree with using the tap but local hardware store did not so did it the old fashioned way. I thought your rf solution was a great idea for on/off. But don’t think it will work since it was a looped wire and also feeds my maxx fan. I just installed and what I am doing for now is to remove gateway from ceiling disconnect power cord from gateway when not using works but a little cumbersome. Better then running wire to a displaced on/off switch. Was hoping your wire was a loop also to understand how you wire thanks anyway and do appreciate your reply
Robert
I had to install a switch for the gateway. I just put it next to the gateway switching the positive wire. Pretty simple really.
Old 10-24-2023, 08:24 PM   #11
OldJimi
Established Member

M.O.C. #31788
The biggest drawback to the RF switch is that it needs both wires to energize it. I've had it around a year and, since I have a clicker for the power, turn the Gateway off every night - no point in exposing it to internet hackers if I'm not using it. I've used the Gateway with park public networks, with a cell service via SIM card, and with my cell phone hot spot, and found that it works about the same with every source. It helps bring park network internet in better than connecting with my laptop alone.
My wife and I use different cell services so that we can get data from one or the other in low density areas, and we use the same mobile hotspot name on each phone so that it's easy to connect to the internet via the phone with the most hotspot data left.