Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2022, 04:48 PM   #21
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
That's usually blizzard temps when a front drops down from Canada.
Tank heaters don't keep the tank water line from freezing, or even tanks from getting big blocks of ice in them. They do seem to keep the tanks from breaking from the ice, and they thaw out a little quicker once it warms up again.

I keep a full 5 gallon jug or two around in the winter myself.

Things go pretty well down to around 15F degrees. You don't have to do much if it warms up during the day. But below that you just try to keep things from breaking. I keep a light on in my water works box, a heater on medium in the small area where my water hoses are (low heat doesn't work), and I don't fill up the water tank to the top.
When the ice blocks off the black tank so I can't dump... I have to switch to a portable emergency toilet for a couple weeks. That's the worst part.
The 'trick' with the sewer line is to close all the valves and only pull them to drain. As long as your hose is self draining, i.e. sloped downhill it will remain open. I forgot so mine was frozen solid for about 48 hours. We were lucky to have a public washroom across from our site that nobody uses except one person. Lesson learned.

3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:26 PM   #22
Rick n Kelly
Established Member

M.O.C. #24855
I used a water trough heated hose. We do not worry about the warning concerning not to be used for human consumption. I grew up drinking out a water hose. I found mine a tru value, several farm and ranch stores also have them. My opinion better than the blue stiff hoses.
Rick n Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote