Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2006, 06:05 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
High Gloss changes [:(]

In July 2002 we took delivery on a new 2003 3295RK. We ordered it with high gloss. The locker doors were high gloss on that model.

Next Tuesday we take delivery of a 2007 3400RL, also ordered. It arrived at our dealer's on Thursday and I took a 15-minute look at it. It also was ordered with high gloss. However, this one has filon locker doors, not high gloss.

I was told by customer service they stopped using high gloss locker doors about two years ago because of lack of storage space for two types of doors.

My concerns are twofold:

First, one of our reasons for getting this $2170 option is because I think it gives the Montana a richer, classier look. The lack of high gloss on the locker doors cheapens that look and will irritate me every time I see them.

Second, we are fulltimers whose rig is outside all the time. We wanted to eliminate any yellowing of filon over time. Now we'll eventually have yellowed doors on an otherwise white rig. This will be rather unattractive.

We are very disappointed about this situation and ask that you reconsider this policy and consider retrofitting our rig with high gloss locker doors.

Thank you.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Agree...well said.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Steve, That makes no sense whatsoever. If it were me I would not be accepting this rig. As I see it they can get you the hi gloss doors or they can get you an entirely new rig without the hi gloss and remove the $2170. I know over the years you have built a relationship with certain Keystone higher ups and I feel you should be getting in touch with them for whatever assistance they might be able to give you.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Our 2006 2980RL was built the same. High gloss everywhere but the locker doors. I sort of wondered about this but did not know they once came with high gloss doors. It doesn't look that bad, but have to admit it would look better if the doors were high gloss. I don't know what keystone can do for you, but someone should have told you about the doors before they took the order. I just haven't figured out who is going to wax one of these puppies.

J&D

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/global/stations/71892.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Vancouver, British Columbia Forecast" height=60 width=468[/img]

[IMG]John & Dawn

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
2006 2980RL &
2005 F350 Lariet, Crewcab
Shortbox Powerstroke 4X4
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Steve,

Can you just not accept as is and save the extra dollars and order another one? Just a thought.

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, we could, but we won't. I still would rather have it with high gloss as it is than to have one with no high gloss. I know this is a personal preference item, but that's my preference. Otherwise it appears to be built solidly from what I could tell from the cursory look. We've not yet done the PDI. I climbed up on the roof and looked things over carefully up there. I was very impressed with the fit of the rubber membrane on this one. Better than on our 3295. And the seals all looked very good.

Glenn, I don't know that I have any "contacts" in higher up positions but I did email Keystone with my complaint just before I posted it here.

The only other anomaly I found is we deleted one of the recliners for credit. But both recliners are in the rig. I did verify we got the credit. We're making arrangements to give away the extra recliner.

I was unable to open the slides (no battery in it yet) and just took a quick look. Tuesday we'll do our PDI.

Thanks for the suggestions on the high gloss.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Steve, Bob used to work in a boatyard and suggests that you take your doors to a boatyard experienced in marine finishes, have them put an epoxy undercoat on the doors, which will create a smooth surface filling in all of the filon finish, then have it spray painted with a polyurethane finish the same color as your fifth wheel. You will end up with a finish as smooth and shiny as your high gloss gelcoat which won't yellow over time. Bob recommends Awlgrip paint (made by U.S. Paints) for this purpose. If Montana won't provide you with new doors, this might be a good solution. And, by the way, congratulations on your new unit!!!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Steve congrats on the new Montana I did not know you were looking hope you enjoy this one as well as the 3295. Roman

2004 3295 rk
1995 F-350
3"down pipe&4"exhaust
k&n air filter
1st Moc rally attendies
Roman & Pam Bialecki
Ottawa Lake, Mi.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Congrats Steve and Vicky,

Sorry about the doors. If you make it down here to Spring Hill maybe we can try my Poli-Glow on it.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
Congrats Steve and Vicki on your new 3400RL. Sounds like we are having our PDI the same day but at different dealers! WOW I hope you are getting as excited as we are. Do you know if there is a certain sequence that they go through this inspection? We printed off the PDI forms from the website but it is so long and wasn't sure how to go about it. Since this is our first we are novices to this. We didn't order the High Gloss but we did the Dual Pane Windows and the Slide Toppers. Any tips about this inspection from all members would be greatly appreciated.We do get two days "camping school" so we will try everything.
Coleen

KSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The excuse for the door change sounds like "spin" to me. What it sounds like is a cost cutting decision to keep the option price down. Is Thor sticking their finger into the pie? I hate it when good companies get cannibalized by bigger, but not as good corporations.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

Go to Top of Page

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:52 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve, I would be disappointed by this change, too, and it sounds like a shoddy decision by Keystone. Hope you can get it resolved.

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Steve,

I agree with all of the above and, at the VERY least, Keystone or the dealer should credit or compensate you for the MISSING hi-gloss on the doors. Obviously, the hi-gloss option is misleading, since all exterior surfaces apparantly are not hi-gloss.

POOR decision on Keystone's part; don't know of any other reputable manufacturer who would do this. Maybe a good topic of discussion at the rally...

With that said to Keystone, CONGRATS on your new rig Steve...!

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[IMG] http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...rand_Blanc.gif border=0
alt="Click for Grand Blanc, Michigan Forecast" height=60 width=468>[/url]
[/IMG]
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Well I just got off the phone with five dealers looking for the best deal on a 2007 3295. This email about the NON-HI Gloss compartment doors is a concern to me too. This will be our last upgrade.
Thanks, I will put it in the contract. The only reason I am upgrading is to get the zero degree weather capability because mom and dad live in Rochester NY and are 90 and 87 years young.
The boating suggestion will be the other option to the dealer since we are in Maryland and there are plenty of them around.
Cheers

John, Master Sergeant USMC/RET 66-86 2651
Kohl's Pictures
03 Ram 3500, 4x4, 6 spd, 3.73, Jacobs exhaust brake, Jordan Controler, Line-X bed liner, Taylor Wing boxes, Xtang Black Max tonneau cover, Kenwood D-700, APRS KO4A-13 Where are the Kohl"s?
02 3295RK Big Sky, dual air, 3.5KW generator, IC 706 Mk II G, Kenwood TMV-7A
Rig stored in NY, waiting July 07 return from working in Australia
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:26 AM   #15
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
I just ordered a 2007 3400RL last week with the high gloss, I and my salesman were surprised to hear that the doors were not also high gloss. I managed to reach someone on the customer service line and was told that the reason for the doors not being high gloss was because they would weigh more....yeah right! I also emailed them and my salesman has made a couple of calls to them but no answer yet. Steve, I am really anxious to hear how your PDI went. Hopefully mine will roll in here in five more weeks.

Pete, Waltraud (Wally), Brian(Grandson) and Hannah (Big German Shepherd).
2005 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW FX4 Crew Cab 6.0 Turbo Diesel, w/tow boss package, dual batteries and alternators. Reese 16K fifth wheel and a 2005 Montana 2955RL.
IMG]http://i4.tinypic.com/1115lk2.jpg[/IMG
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:04 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I just got Lorraine into at least thinking of upgrading to the 3475 and am hoping to be ready to move on it by the RV show here in Tampa this January. I surely do hope they have this non-hi gloss door thingy ironed out by than. You can bet it is something I will be asking about at the plant tour.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
Just thinking out loud, could you add the 3M clear bra film to the storage doors? I know the Clear Bra is supposed to help protect vehicles paint from fading, as well as stopping rock chips. Just a thought...

I also want to say it again, Keystone needs to offer a full body paint option on the Montana. Would sure solve many of the exterior problems/concerns that has arrised over the past year.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:31 AM   #18
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Steve, I think Keystone should offer the gelcoat on the doors as well. Also, that storage door is sooooooo heavy, I suggest Keystone should be installing gas struts on those doors. try lifting the door and reaching for something in there. We are going to have Camping World install them when we go.

Diane,Dennis & Taffy
3400RL
2003 Silverado 2500 HD D/A, Prodigy Control
Reese 16K Slider
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:46 AM   #19
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My salesman emailed Montana and was told it is not a factory item. You have to special order it and I was quoted just under $1000.00 for five doors and that did not include shipping. The comment from Montana was yes a few owners have ordered them. Oh, since it is not a factory item you will also have to pay for the installation at the RV service center. Montana, what are you doing to your customers? Does this mean they are not covered under warranty also? hum.
Cheers

John, Master Sergeant USMC/RET 66-86 2651
Kohl's Pictures
03 Ram 3500, 4x4, 6 spd, 3.73, Jacobs exhaust brake, Jordan Controler, Line-X bed liner, Taylor Wing boxes, Xtang Black Max tonneau cover, Kenwood D-700, APRS KO4A-13 Where are the Kohl"s?
02 3295RK Big Sky, dual air, 3.5KW generator, IC 706 Mk II G, Kenwood TMV-7A
Rig stored in NY, waiting July 07 return from working in Australia
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:50 AM   #20
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
John, a bit off subject, but your "where are the Kohls" says you are in Maryland, are you on vacation or done with your work in Australia??

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote