Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Blackberry

I was wondering if anyone in the club has a Blackberry? If you do, what do you like or dislike about it? I have been offered one at work and thought this would be a good place to find out about them. Everyone here is a straight shooter. Any comments would be gratefully taken into consideration. Thanks in advance and Happy Trails to you.

Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
Mine is used 100% for work. I like them because it gives you a chance to read emails any place, any time. I can glance at an Email and know I need to read it later. Then at home when things are slow, I can read it. Waiting to get your haircut, you can catch up. Not coming back to 100 emails after vacation, is certainly a big benefit.

Mine is through a different service than my company cell phone or my wife's cell phone - we can get cell coverage anywhere possible. Simple internet device is marginally ok (I carry my portable with WiFi, so that is the preferred device). All the other features are nice (calendar, address book, to do lists) and I use them all, but there are better devices for some of them.

The bad news is all the above. You need to really manage yourself to not spend all your personal time responding to Emails. Your bosses start expecting quicker turn around, not always a good thing. Reading Excel form is extremely difficult

I didn't have an option, but I find it more beneficial than not. (Of course, I don't have a life - that is why we are getting a 5er).
Tall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
I would agree with Tall Paul, mostly about making sure you do not work 24 hours a day. Your thumbs get a great workout and you learn to hold your steering wheel different so you can type and drive...oops, was I suppose to say that...
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Thanks a bunch for the comments. I do plan on turning it off or letting the battery run out on weekends or vacations. . I actually was looking forward to keeping up with home emails on vacation. I have heard comments about the typing while driving from guys at work too, lol. Another road hazard. Anyway, thanks again.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:53 AM   #5
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I had a Blackberry for about a year at work before I retired. As mentioned it was great for email but the web browser and spreadsheet program was useless. It is also a cell phone and using the ear piece and lapel mic made that an easy phone to use.

When I retired I gave the Blackberry to another coworker rather than keeping it. In my opinion it would be too expensive to use for personal email.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:20 AM   #6
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scrowba

Your thumbs get a great workout and you learn to hold your steering wheel different so you can type and drive...oops, was I suppose to say that...
Oh, good, I'm not the only one. It really gets the wife excided!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:29 AM   #7
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virgil

I do plan on turning it off or letting the battery run out on weekends or vacations. . I actually was looking forward to keeping up with home emails on vacation. I have heard comments about the typing while driving from guys at work too, lol. Another road hazard.
I think many of us planned to keep it turned off, but it is a pandora's box. Be careful! Also, the darn battery last forever (I don't use mine as a cell phone), so you won't run it out.

I would probably not use this for personal emails. I think there are better devices for that. Besides, when I'm retired, I don't want to jump to my BB. IMHO
Old 02-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thank you for this discussion. Due to your candid remarks, I think I will pass on this device. Passing on technology is difficult. I guess I am living proof of the adage that the difference between and boys is the price and size of their toys.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virgil

I was wondering if anyone in the club has a Blackberry? If you do, what do you like or dislike about it? I have been offered one at work and thought this would be a good place to find out about them. Everyone here is a straight shooter. Any comments would be gratefully taken into consideration. Thanks in advance and Happy Trails to you.
Virgil I have one of the newer model Blackberry's; also know as the Crack Berry becasue they can be very adictive. It is one of those things that you will use 24/7 unless you force yourself to turn it off. Mine has all the application uses, 2-way radio, cell phone, speaker phone, email, and web browsing. It is a great tool for work, but once I can divorce myself from this job, I plan on tossing it into the Tenessee river.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #10
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
Quote:
quote:It is a great tool for work, but once I can divorce myself from this job, I plan on tossing it into the Tenessee river.