Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Any Refrigerator Tips?

Well the wife and I have been living in the Monty for the longest time so far, coming into our four week. Everything seems to be OK, just a couple questions about the refrigerator. Looks like we have a little ice accumulating in the back of the freezer right now. Will this continue to build up till you need to defrost it? Does an ice build up affect the operation of the refrigerator?

How do you folks who live in the Monty more than than we have manage refrigerator maintenance?

We are really enjoying our Long-timing! This will be the third week that Nancy and I have been both retired, no major disagreements yet, the big trip begins after July 4th out to Montana, down to Laughlin and over to the Grand Canyon. This will be the test to see if we can do Alaska in 2010!

Happy Camping!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We have to defrost ours several times each winter. We wait until it is time to go shopping and then put everything in a cooler. We shut off the frige and turn up the heat and it is usually good by the time we get back home. We have at times used a hair dryer to speed things up. Never try to pry the ice off anything.

This is what works for us.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We full time, so yes, we defrost once every 10-12 weeks. Dianna notices some differences in the way it functions and determines that it is time to defrost.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We long time, 9 months or more on the road a year. We did away with one of the recliners and put a small chest freezer in its place to help manage space.Helen does defrost several times a year. We were also advised by the manufacturer not to use those fridge fans for circulation as they can actually impede circulation. The secret is to NOT pack the fridge to tightly.. We also observe that the fridge is colder when on Electric Vs gas????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
A small battery fan helps alot between defrosting times and try not to pack the shelf next to the fins to closely it doesn't let the air circulate freely.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
I guess we must be overloaded in the freezer. We have lived in our Montana only since March and this will be the third time we've had to defrost the freezer. Also, I just got out ice cream pops that were put in yesterday, they are completely soft and mushy. I sure hope we are not having issues already. There is a lot of moisture around the inside top of the door. Any suggestions?

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
If they are packed with beer they work better. The little fans help, I also extended the drain hose outside past the grill a bit. It works great on AC. I did have a problem with ice cream yet makes & freezes ice well.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
If you have moisture issues look inside the refrigerator door jam and there is a small switch. Turn it on (1 is on).
When I defrost I empty the freezer and put a small fan it there on top of a small towels and wring the water out of the towel frequently.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote