Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #1
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Way too early

I know it's still 2 years away but I've started looking at the path of the 2024 solar eclipse. We went to Crossville, TN to watch the 2017 eclipse and enjoyed it very much. Hard to believe there will be 2 eclipses in less than 7 years in North America.

It looks like the path of totality starts in TX and arcs across the eastern part of the country all the way to the maritime Canadian provinces.

Has anyone else looked at this and started searching for campgrounds across the eclipse path? I'm curious to hear any recommendations/ideas you might have.

Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, thanks for the heads up.

Here's a link with a little bit more information. Don't know how long it will stay upYahoo News

or Here.

I suppose I don't have to go anywhere. You are welcome to come park in my driveway if you want. I'll throw you an electric cord and you are welcome to fill your water tank. We live in the country about 40 - 45 miles North and East of Indianapolis. Indianapolis is directly in the path of the eclipse. And, I think my house is right in the middle of the arch on the map.

Campgrounds in the area that might suit your needs are the Anderson KOA, White River Campground (Hamilton County campground), Summit Lake State park, Mounds State Park (Anderson, Indiana), Glo Wood Campground (Pendleton), KOA Indianapolis (right on I-70, east of Indy).

Well, maybe that will wet your whistle.

Here's a link to many more private campgrounds. You can visualize where the "arch" runs. Also, several Indiana State Parks in the South Eastern part of the state fall in the arch too. Click here.

Well, good luck. Just an FYI, Indiana State Park campsites cannot be reserved more than 6 months in advance. Private campgrounds all have their own rules.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We live right in the path of the last one. If you have never seen one it’s worth the effort. The most interesting thing for me was the way the light filtered through the trees to make hundreds of little half moons on the ground. Take your camera. You will need it!!!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We will be at home for this one. We are in the path. I've already got it on my calendar.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:39 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
We will be at home for this one. We are in the path. I've already got it on my calendar.
Same here. Be watching from my back yard.

April is typically a stormy month from mid US to east coast. So flexibility would be a benefit. Semi long range weather forecasts could send you in one direction or another to avoid predicted clouds.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I was about 50-100 miles from the centerline of the last one in Wyoming. I talked to the campground host in Dubois the next year and they said the sites booked up about 2 years out.

My only observation from my viewpoint was sort of a dusk that come on us, but not very dark. While watching from my truck, the auto lights came on tho!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:21 AM   #7
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Thanks DutchmenSport for the campground information and the moochdocking invitation.

Just took a quick look at the KOA Indy online; from the google earth picture it looks like the spaces are well spaced. They would only go forward 6 months for online booking so I just punched in some dates for this month to see the rates. The rates on the premium slots were what I've paid for ocean front slots in FL! According to the reviews they have some flooding issues, and as pointed out that's rain season. I haven't looked at the private campgrounds you linked, but I obviously still have some time and will do so.

I also see that the NCAA championship game is that night also.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:46 PM   #8
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
LOL I'm looking forward to a nap when it happens! LOL
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #9
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Two years ago one of our club members made a deal with one of the RV campgrounds they frequent. They reserved the full camp for the 2024 eclipse. We have a spot there and also a VRBO farther southwest outside Fredericksburg, Tx.

It's almost too late to begin reserving as many from out of the country have already made deals with the VRBO and AirBnB locations near the center line.

Good planning map at http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages...leMapFull.html

One thing that I suggest is to make a trip the day of to get on the center line on some out of the way back road. Many locals do not know and do not care about an eclipse. Take a couple of lawn chairs and eclipse glasses and get comfortable by the first contact time.

My Mom lives on Lake Travis at the 3.5 minute totality area, so no need to travel for her.

I've included the best driveway in the US showing a spot that is on the center line for both the 2024 and the recent 2017 total eclipse. What luck!

A good atlas for the eclipse can be found at https://www.amazon.com/Road-Atlas-To.../dp/1941983154
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eclipse best driveway in USA.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	11706  
Old 04-13-2022, 04:25 PM   #10
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I'll add that the historical weather along the eclipse path in Texas is some of the best on the path. Also, the area SW of San Antonio (highway 131 & US277) has the longest totality times in north America (4m27s) with the Sun up 68° at 13:30CDT. While at the other end (central Maine) the Sun is up 37° at ~14:30EDT with much worst weather prospects. See https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/
Old 04-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #11
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
One other thing I suggest is to nix taking images unless you are thoroughly prepared and practiced. If you have never experienced totality, just watch. With protection b4 the beginning of totality, but naked eye and small binoculars during totality. Might consider grabbing a snap during with a normal to short zoom to try and record some of the outer corona. Thing is, the human eye has a contrast range far greater than current sensors or film and the only way to capture what the eye can detect is with many, many exposures of different lengths and then to combine them using software. Do not loose the moment while fiddling with your camera. Ask me how I know. Mexico, July 11, 1991 & Missouri, August 21, 2017.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:30 PM   #12
Linnea
Established Member

M.O.C. #20604
2024 Solar Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
I know it's still 2 years away but I've started looking at the path of the 2024 solar eclipse. We went to Crossville, TN to watch the 2017 eclipse and enjoyed it very much. Hard to believe there will be 2 eclipses in less than 7 years in North America.

It looks like the path of totality starts in TX and arcs across the eastern part of the country all the way to the maritime Canadian provinces.

Has anyone else looked at this and started searching for campgrounds across the eclipse path? I'm curious to hear any recommendations/ideas you might have.
YES! We are definitely planning our trip right now. The campgrounds are very scarce in the area you need to be in TX but we are currently researching the options. Stay tuned. I'll give updates.
Linnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:46 PM   #13
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
YES! We are definitely planning our trip right now. The campgrounds are very scarce in the area you need to be in TX but we are currently researching the options. Stay tuned. I'll give updates.
We stayed at i35 RV resort just north of Waco. It was nice. They had volunteers serve breakfast for donations.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:21 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Google maps searches for rv parks will show many rv parks that are not always obvious otherwise. But in our area of TX there are a LOT of small no frills RV parks scattered along major and minor highways that do not show up on rv park review sites, google map searches, and other traditional methods. Many of those are no where high end, and many are mostly permanent residents, but most typically have some empty sites and would work for a night or two. But unless you know where they are, asking locally if there are any in the area may be the only way to find some of them.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:44 PM   #15
pips063
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22801
Eclipse

BB texas, so I'll have a good view from Princeton/Lake Lavon??
pips063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:39 AM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by pips063 View Post
Princeton/Lake Lavon is within the total eclipse path, but the center line of the path is around 25-30 miles to the southeast. That center line is roughly a path from Waxahachie to Terrell to Sulphur Springs crossing directly over Lake Tawakoni. Being the "shadow" of the total eclipse is a essentially a circle, the total eclipse near the area of the center line will last longer than the areas farther from the center line, especially as you get farther away from the center line.

Should still be a good view of the eclipse from Lake Lavon area, but (not being an eclipse expert) I would guess along the center line would be a better view of the sun's corona during the longer totality period.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:00 AM   #17
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pips063 View Post
Yes, you will. Princeton/Lake Lavon has about one minute less of totality than say, Elmo, just east of Terrell 3m23s vs 4m21s. So it makes the time at Princeton/Lake Lavon equal to the time I had at Bell Missouri of the 2017 eclipse and the time that my Mom will have on Lake Travis in 2 years. 3m23s is a respectable amount of time to enjoy the totality if you don't waste time trying to photograph it.

I always recommend to lay back and enjoy. Especially your first total. The Sun (and Moon) will be very high. You can use binoculars during totality to really pick up the outer corona and detail on the limb. It will be amazing.

Just be ready to move if local weather looks like it will interfere. Clouds can be a game as totality approaches. Plan a drive path along the center-line. Looks like State 34 runs parallel to the center-line.