Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
DIY install King Falcon WIFI Antenna, Router and Range Extender

After spending more than a year researching WIFI Antennas and Boosters I finally settled on the King Wifi Falcon. Unlike All other wifi long range antennas the King Falcon is one of the only Directional (vs Omni Directional) The Directional antennas have a rotating motor that automatically aims the antenna (like a satellite dish) at the WIFI source in the Campground providing much better reception than a omni directional.

I purchased the King Falcon from Amazon for $359

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The King WIFI requires two 110v outlets so in our 3791RD I decided to locate the Antenna above the Towel closet in the bath as that wall is shared with the Pantry and small counter next to the pantry. There is a electrical outlet on that counter (Pantry Wall) that wall is hollow so I was able to tap in and install an outlet on top of the cabinets for the interior WIFI. Instalation time about 3 hours.

So first I drilled a pilot hole from the towel closet to the roof. I then drilled a 1" hole where I inserted a 1" PVC pipe to use are a pass through.

On the roof I used a 6" Junction Box and drilled a 1" hole for the PVC to slide through they will also create a water proof pass through when done.

Before attaching the J-Box I attached the exterior WIFI antenna. First I cleaned all surfaces with Rubbing Alcohol. I then traced the outline and laid a bead of Dicor at the parimeter following up with screwing down and then covering screws with Dicor as well.

Did the same for the junction box traced and laid down Dicor then screwed down. Make sure to also put Dicor around the PVC tube to create the water tight seal.

Tape down the Cable ( I used Gorilla Tape Same as Dicor Tape) and seal the J-Box and the roof is done

The rest is very straight forward with the Antenna cable fed into the closet and then to the top of the cabinet it is just plugging everything in.

The set up is very easy, this will create you own WIFI network with the ability to get a Stronger Campground Signal to Maximize your WIFI. I am now able to get relatively strong WIFI signals from about 4 City Blocks away I asked a friend who is just shy of 2 blocks away(with line of sight except a few big trees, We live on a hill which also helps) to connect to their WIFI to Test I was able to Stream Youtube, whereas I could not even see their network before installation of the King Falcon.

With this central location the WIFI will easily service the entire RV as well as outside and now having a private network provides excellent security.

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Great info! Thanks for the instructions backed up with pics.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
That's an excellent writeup with plenty of instructional pics!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
That’s great but usually campgrounds don’t have enough bandwidth to provide good service. At least that’s our experience.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post
That’s great but usually campgrounds don’t have enough bandwidth to provide good service. At least that’s our experience.
That has been our experience too, and its getting worse with everyone cutting the cord. We've done that as well, and so when we go to a campground, we like to stream, as opposed to watching cable. Easier to setup in the RV as well, because you don't have to get out the cable. The park has to have a LOT of bandwidth, though, and when we stay in places that don't, we typically try to use our hotspot, so we are not pulling bandwidth from the park...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
That has been our experience also.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
How do you know? if you do not have proper reception equipment to maximize your share of bandwidth. Unless you are parked next to the office where it is usually located. The other issue is the lack of repeaters in many campgrounds also reduces your reception (that is often intentional by the campground).

While it is true for some/many Campgrounds however this is evolving with demand meaning many Campgrounds are increasing their Bandwidth to attract those that telecommute and have more digital requirements, many will not even stay at a Campground without reasonable WIFI. The Range Extending Antennas give you the advantage in many campgrounds while a few close to the router get Ok bandwidth those that are further do not ot get nothing, so having access to maximum bandwidth available all the time where ever you are located in the park, whatever it is is a plus. For those of us that camp and work during the daytime campground bandwidth is usually wide open.

Here in the PNW being very mountainess Cell Data is rarely strong and often non existent and more often then not the WIFI is better than cell. For us it is rare that we can find a campground that has more then 2 bars of cell. I also have the Weboost Cell range extender but that really only has a radius of 4-8' from the antenna inside the coach.

Now with that said the King Falcon can also take your cell Data and create a more robust and larger footprint of your hotspot as hotspot range from your phone is very limited especially in multiple users are present.

Unfortunately you need an arsenal of equipment these days and the data environment is so different from place to place where you cannot rely on one or the other but you need both (again I say need as I work while camping).

One final observation. unfortunately the cost of cell data is not coming down nor is the demand, real 5G is still a ways out and even then Rural areas will be the last to get it so we are talking years. Here in the PNW if you do not have Verizon you will find little to no data from the other carriers in the Rural PNW, unfortunately data plans from Verizon and many know is expensive and still has its own bandwidth issues during peak hours. While other parts of country may vary these are our conditions here in the PNW and the West (Non Desert) in General.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I'm considering either a cell booster or a wifi booster. Is using wifi from some park safe for things like banking? I know cell signals are readily tapped.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I'm considering either a cell booster or a wifi booster. Is using wifi from some park safe for things like banking? I know cell signals are readily tapped.
The Weboost is the best cell range extender systems (very popular in the trucking industry) however it is very limited. These systems use two antennas external to grab the signal and internal to distribute. The problem you need to be within a few feet of the internal antenna for it to work however the amplification is very good. The Wineguard systems are crap avoid them I tried it and returned it.

Frankly I do not want invest too much right now in Cell I have the weboost with such limited internal reception it is fine for computer but not for TV's (too far away). This technology is changing with 5G on the horizon I prefer to wait before any more Cell upgrades.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I use firewall and VPN to secure whenever connected to park or hot spot wifi, even if the park wifi is "secure" with password.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #11
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
To Jims point, you need your own internal network that is one layer of security but the VPN is critical also. I use Kaspersky Internet security software they also have a great VPN service that is cheap...
Old 04-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Lightsout - just went thru this thread again studying all the pics and everything you did - and I have one question...

Where the heck did you find a bottle of rubbing alcohol????
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #13
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Lightsout - just went thru this thread again studying all the pics and everything you did - and I have one question...

Where the heck did you find a bottle of rubbing alcohol????
I was at walmart while they were stocking that shelf it was gone within 5 min. other cleaners will also work
Old 04-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Nice write up, any rubbing alcohol left?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote