Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Getting Ready to hit the road

DW and I are headed out in a couple weeks for two weeks on the road. Destination is Wine country and then south to Palm springs. With the anticipated heat we are sure to encounter, I have been completing extra maintenance to insure a great trip. Today I waxed and buffed the trailer, lube the wheel bearings and wax the truck. I will check air just prior to leaving. Any ideas on some maintenance items I should complete. Truck checked for fluids etc and all works well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Not our choice for going to the hottest area in the country in September. Brothers not doing well and we want to visit with him.

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If you do not have one, you might want to invest in an infared heat sensor. It looks like a gun that you hold in your hand and point at tires, hubs, anything that might overheat. Good early warning device. About $50. Use at any stop for immediate feedback.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
What wine country are you going to?

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Great idea to pack your wheel bearings. Don't forget to stop and torque your lug nuts after driving a few miles. Palm Springs in August??? you are brave. We spend the winter out there and enjoy it a lot. You can always take the cable car to the top of the mountain to cool off. Also, we brought home 3 casase of Walmart $1.97 a bottle Oak Leaf wine. You can buy one bottel at a time to test it. Wine is expensive in Colorado. Sgt. Thanks for keeping us safe.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
We are headed to the Napa valley, then south. Not looking like a stop in Palm Springs, but will now hit Las Vegas. That should be hot enough. Getting amped as its been awhile for a good trip.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I had not traveled in 3 years, so I back-washed the water heater, changed out the heating element, anode as well as the safety relief valve.
this way, the water heater will be like new and not a worry.
Just a good P.M. measure, and very little cost.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I live in the wine country in Amador County about 35 miles East of Sacramento, Ca. Grapes and wineries all over this area.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote