Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2021, 09:28 PM   #61
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrockatc View Post
I have used the Anderson hitch on the last two fifth wheels, and have always liked it, but with this latest Montana, the weight is considerably more, and I am having second thoughts. At 75 years old I am still concerned with being able to get the hitch out by myself. I was thinking about the Demco recon attached to gooseball, only about 90lbs, and in three pieces. I then starting asking myself if this would be considered a gooseball adapter? What do you guys think? My 2019 model is about at the end of the warranty on frame, but I don't want to do any damage!

Mudrock, my emails from Lippert indicate they are concerned about "attachments" to the kingpin not the goose ball. The Demco Recon attaches to the ball but then has a regular connection for the pin which by every statement from Lippert I've received should be good.

I have zero problems using the Andersen with my current trailer and weight. If I moved up to something like yours I anticipate I would move to a different hitch. I won't go with a 2-300lb. 5th wheel hitch due to health and prior injuries. The Demco looks like something I would consider although reviewing it, the installation and how it's constructed sure looks like it would induce a lot of noise, chucking etc.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:30 PM   #62
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The same with the Pullrite 3900 1P. It is a conventional fifth wheel hitch that attaches to the truck bed via a goose ball. The hitch weighs 74 lbs, but separates into several pieces. The head itself is 40 lbs and releases via 2 pins. I need to get to a clean bed to put my 82 lb kayak on the rack over the roof of my truck cab. I am trading my Pullrite 2600 (similar to the AUH) in on a 3900.
https://www.pullrite.com/3900
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:56 PM   #63
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Looks like a good option.

Camping world says it weighs #153 assembled, so 113 base weight, it seem . Doesn't look that heavy

https://www.campingworld.com/pullrit...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-03-2021, 03:48 AM   #64
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Another fine Andersen hitch bit the dust.. Pic was taken Friday April 2, 2021 at Nellis AFB FAM CAMP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (56).png
Views:	126
Size:	499.1 KB
ID:	8794  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:29 AM   #65
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
Hemiallen, I think you are probably right about adding an attachment to the pin, I also looked at the Reese Goosebox, but watched a youtube video with a guy(not sure of his expertise), but he showed that the "lever action" of the goosebox, in his opinion, probably put more stress on the frame and sidewalls than something like the Anderson or a traditional fifth wheel hitch. As he explained it, it kind of made sense to me! I of course have no expertise in this area at all!!
mudrockatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #66
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
Sourdough, agreed on the pin attachment, and you may be right on the Demco noise factor, hadn't considered that, would like to see some real time reviews from folks who actually use one, can't find much on youtube except from Demco! The Anderson was extremely quiet, solid, no chucking, really liked it, sad we are in this concern now!
Old 04-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #67
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
rames14, Thanks for the info, didn't know PullRite had such a hitch, will look at it a little closer, looks a little beefier than the demco. I had to buy the rubber mat from Anderson, as the AUH was rotating in my bed, called Anderson and they suggested the mat plus torqueing the top bolt to 70lbs, that fixed the problem. Wonder if same mat would be a good idea under either Demco or PullRite? Might protect bed a little better.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #68
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Another fine Andersen hitch bit the dust.. Pic was taken Friday April 2, 2021 at Nellis AFB FAM CAMP
That makes three I've seen that have failed. To each their own but there's no way I'd trust one.

We spent last March at the Nellis FAMCAMP. That place is incredible. One of the best we've stayed at. Unfortunately Vegas was shut down due to COVID so we didn't get to do much.

Barksdale isn't bad either. Spaced a lot further apart. Barksdale has blazing fast Wi-Fi too. Did all of our updates and even updated our Garmin maps while we were there.

Just an FYI, you've gotta use the commercial gate: 32.5255, -93.6758

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #69
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

Andersen has a great hitch from his standpoint. It’s light easy to manufacture little machining. He can show how much weight it will support and it’s several campers worth. Problem is that isn’t the way campers put stress on a hitch. The real stress is put on a hitch when it’s in a wreck. Of course none of us will ever be in a wreck, just kidding I hope. When you put stress on his hitch from one of the sides you see from this picture what will happen. It is weak this way but he doesn’t show you that. I wont a hitch that is stronger than the frame of my truck not weaker. Have you ever saw a B&W or one of the better hitches that failed? If I’m ever in a wreck I don’t won’t to the camper to run over my truck with me still in it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #70
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Maximum force on the hitch occurs on every hard start from stop, and on every hard braking from any speed. Far more than just cruising down the highway. Just makes me wonder if those repeated forces, over and over, are the reason for failure of those small tubes and welds.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #71
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Here's my take:
Users swear that they get no chucking with an Andersen Hitch, but many of us use the rubber MORride Hitch to help reduce chucking since it's impossible to eliminate just do to road imperfection and wheel spacing of TV & RV.
So if we are to believe the Andersen eliminates chucking the forces much be absorbed by the hitch flexing. How long can it go before it finally fails.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:18 PM   #72
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Every thing we do is a compromise. If we won’t the lightest hitch it’s not going to be as strong as a heavy hitch. It might take two people to get that heavy out of your truck but it will be safer. I’ll go with safety especially the places I pull my camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:58 AM   #73
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
This happened to our kids yesterday. They have an Anderson hitch. It does have some nice features but is not perfect either. They knew to watch out for the cab hitting the cap in sharp turns. They didn't know about the pin box hitting the bed rails since it sits so far back in the bed. It split through the plastic and metal beneath. Well check today and see if it bowed out the side of the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8689.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	8799  
Old 04-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #74
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
This happened to our kids yesterday. They have an Anderson hitch. It does have some nice features but is not perfect either. They knew to watch out for the cab hitting the cap in sharp turns. They didn't know about the pin box hitting the bed rails since it sits so far back in the bed. It split through the plastic and metal beneath. Well check today and see if it bowed out the side of the bed.
The instructions for the Anderson hitch include details on how to measure your pinbox, truck box, and hitch mounting area. Once measured, it guides you to the proper install that will prevent the above from happening.

When I first got mine a few years ago I had it setup wrong and it nicked the side of my box cover rails. Which, IIRC, is when my wife asked if I had read the instructions

Hopefully the damage isn't too great, and they can reinstall the hitch to prevent the above from happening again.

Brad
Old 04-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #75
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Starting at 1:20 he starts the measurement process:

Old 04-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #76
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Here's my take:
Users swear that they get no chucking with an Andersen Hitch, but many of us use the rubber MORride Hitch to help reduce chucking since it's impossible to eliminate just do to road imperfection and wheel spacing of TV & RV.
So if we are to believe the Andersen eliminates chucking the forces much be absorbed by the hitch flexing. How long can it go before it finally fails.
I do think that is part of it. However, the other part is that there is just no inherent slop in the system. So, the chucking will still happen and those forces will get transferred, but my take is that many hitches make slop much worse by the nature of their rocking and clevices; like creating a chain reaction.

I also agree that the MORryde Rubber Pinbox with the AUH is a great combination. The RPB does a great job of absorbing the back and forth chucking, and the AUH ball and socket capture everything very tightly. That's what we used for years on our last rig and it was sooo smooth.

I'm not an engineer, so it's beyond me whether the issues people raise are real or not. For example;
1. Is the AUH sturdy enough in its design and construction to absorb thousands of jolts without failing? Does something like the RPB improve that dramatically? Why have only a few failed out of the tens of thousands sold? (other traditional hitches have completely failed also but don't generate the buzz this one does when they fail)

2. Does the Anderson "adapter" on the Lippert pinbox really cause frame issues as Lippert is suggesting? It's easy to see that the adapter will change the moment arm, but again does that induce enough new stresses to cause issues? Or, there are other reasons Lippert isn't saying (maybe some CYA stuff?)

The AUH sure is a controversial hitch, that's for sure. Likely could win an award for most hotly debated hitch on the market.

Brad
Old 04-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #77
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
kowbra, completely agree, I also have the MorRyde rubber pin box, as a matter of fact, I had the shop swap the pin box from my 2014 Montana to the 2019 Montana when I traded, the 19 came with the Rotoflex box, and I think the combo of AUH and Morryde box gives a really smooth comfortable ride. I do however have concern now, and am looking at heavier, traditional type hitches, problem now is everybody and their brother bought campers during this covid outbreak, and every hitch i decide on is backordered!
Old 04-15-2021, 09:59 AM   #78
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
Well, here’s some more Andersen hitch stories from the road.
Preface, we’re on the “pro” side of using this product.

Last August , headed out of Ca for an 8 week journey east, then south to VA and home. We had a little chucking then heard a huge bang, pulled over and discovered the hitch had “ jumped” off the ball and entire RV was resting on top of truck bed side rails.. Gulp ...and terror in what could have been.. safety chains attached but truck tailgate held from full extension. Called Andersen, they overnighted a new coupler for us to install and use along with “ lock out bars” which we had never used nor been advised to use. This is where we began to investigate how this could happen

Fast forward..subsequent damage to both Rv ( now frame flex and other issues) and truck (crushed bed)
decided to continue east and contacted Affinity for repairs. This was now a must do and filed an insurance claim. Left it with Affinity which took one month. (We rented alternate housing while waiting).
Picked rig up, all work performed,and headed back to CA , although we’ve never been quite the same regarding road noises or chucking . Continued to have dialogue with Andersen reps regarding their culpability. And why are these $10 lockout bars not a mandatory part of their hitch system? More pictures sent to them( we are in possession of the old hitch) and some legal assistance we are at an impasse. Andersen claims it could happen if you don’t have lockout bars by design and now claims normal wear marks on the ball could cause this- Really!
Now the frame flex symptoms have reappeared so we contacted Affinity. Hmm.. that’s getting muddy also.. they told us to come back as they stand behind the repairs.. but there are some type of new frame flex issues?? (Yup another long drive from CA).. anyone hear of new frame flex problems?

We are continuing to pursue legal options for Andersen to reimburse out of pocket costs and alert all purchasers to “required” bars..

Grateful not injured, grateful Progressive covered rig repairs with very little hassle. Grateful Geico covered new truck bed, cover, etc, very little grumbling..
Mostly grateful for this Montana community to share experiences with.

Hopefully attending the western region rally in June.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #79
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Slugchick, do you have the RotoFlex hitch? I don't remember where, but I've seen the requirement for the lockout bars for that hitch multiple times...I thought it was in Andersen's own documentation. I can't remember now but will look. I'm sorry for the problems and damage. I hope you are able to get it resolved.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #80
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugchick View Post
Well, here’s some more Andersen hitch stories from the road.
Preface, we’re on the “pro” side of using this product.

Last August , headed out of Ca for an 8 week journey east, then south to VA and home. We had a little chucking then heard a huge bang, pulled over and discovered the hitch had “ jumped” off the ball and entire RV was resting on top of truck bed side rails.. Gulp ...and terror in what could have been.. safety chains attached but truck tailgate held from full extension. Called Andersen, they overnighted a new coupler for us to install and use along with “ lock out bars” which we had never used nor been advised to use. This is where we began to investigate how this could happen

Fast forward..subsequent damage to both Rv ( now frame flex and other issues) and truck (crushed bed)
decided to continue east and contacted Affinity for repairs. This was now a must do and filed an insurance claim. Left it with Affinity which took one month. (We rented alternate housing while waiting).
Picked rig up, all work performed,and headed back to CA , although we’ve never been quite the same regarding road noises or chucking . Continued to have dialogue with Andersen reps regarding their culpability. And why are these $10 lockout bars not a mandatory part of their hitch system? More pictures sent to them( we are in possession of the old hitch) and some legal assistance we are at an impasse. Andersen claims it could happen if you don’t have lockout bars by design and now claims normal wear marks on the ball could cause this- Really!
Now the frame flex symptoms have reappeared so we contacted Affinity. Hmm.. that’s getting muddy also.. they told us to come back as they stand behind the repairs.. but there are some type of new frame flex issues?? (Yup another long drive from CA).. anyone hear of new frame flex problems?

We are continuing to pursue legal options for Andersen to reimburse out of pocket costs and alert all purchasers to “required” bars..

Grateful not injured, grateful Progressive covered rig repairs with very little hassle. Grateful Geico covered new truck bed, cover, etc, very little grumbling..
Mostly grateful for this Montana community to share experiences with.

Hopefully attending the western region rally in June.

Are you still on the pro side of using this setup after all this?