Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
wrhfinancial

M.O.C. #30795
Humidistat add on

I am new to the RV world.
Are you able to install a humidistat is the term I think, to the air conditioner controls to adjust for humidity.

wrhfinancial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:05 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Yes you can as our Florida neighbors have one on theirs since they leave their Monty in Florida during the Summer.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:55 AM   #3
wrhfinancial

M.O.C. #30795
We only had 12 days before we left for home so I could research it.
We left ours in Fort Myers for the summer.
Anyone who has pictures, DIY, and what to buy would be helpful.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:27 PM   #4
charlieSusie3739

M.O.C. #30086
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrhfinancial View Post
I am new to the RV world.
Are you able to install a humidistat is the term I think, to the air conditioner controls to adjust for humidity.
Who is the humidistat maker? Also what is the model of the a/c?
I have a 2022 Monty 3813ms.
Thanks...Charlie
charlieSusie3739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 03:55 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Does a humidistat add moisture? Wouldn't you want a dehumidifier in Florida? Just curious.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #6
charlieSusie3739

M.O.C. #30086
A humidistat controls the thermostat. For example, if the humidistat is set for 70% humidity and the humidity is above 70% it turns on the thermostat to satisfy its setting to cool down the interior else it keeps the thermostat off. The cooling process dehumidifies (removes moisture) from the area until it reaches the thermostat setting. This info was from a residential house.
The thermostat was set at 85 degrees and can easily attain 90+ when the humidistat is below 70% (dryer). This saves a lot of $
I have not installed a humidistat in my 2022 Monty 3813MS yet. Am waiting for info from Keystone for the correct humidistat for the Mach15 air conditioner.
Will post the results later.
You should make Keystone inquiries for your Monty model. It is possible to mismatch voltages. Ac/Dc Please post any info.

Thanks Charlie
charlieSusie3739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:46 AM   #7
wrhfinancial

M.O.C. #30795
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieSusie3739 View Post
Who is the humidistat maker? Also what is the model of the a/c?
I have a 2022 Monty 3813ms.
Thanks...Charlie
I don't know the model of the A/C.
I will have to wait till I get back to Florida and look.
You made a good point of contacting the manufacturer so I am going
ask them the question.

Wayne
Old 06-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Portable-...a-904210994785

And you can program it to the humidity level you want.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:21 PM   #9
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I believe a dehumidistat is what you're looking for. A Honeywell "True IAQ" is a device that control a humidifier, dehumidifier, and ventilation system. These require 24volts AC to operate and would not work on an RV.

There are residential thermostats on the market that have a humidity control feature. If you don't have a separate dehumidifier, it just allows the AC to overshoot it's set point by up to 3 degrees. To dehumidify with an air conditioner, it has to be running. Some of the higher end residential variable speed model air conditioners go into a dehumidify mode when there is no cooling call. They slow the compressor, refrigerant flow, and blower to a very low speed. This keeps the evaporator coil wet and the efficiency high. RV air conditioners don't operate like this.

A portable dehumidifier has a storage tank that requires emptying periodically. The only way to make this a long term solution would be attach a length of garden hose and gravity drain it to the outside. Even at that if the hose became clogged you would likely end up having the water back up and spill out into the coach.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:52 AM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
I believe a dehumidistat is what you're looking for. A Honeywell "True IAQ" is a device that control a humidifier, dehumidifier, and ventilation system. These require 24volts AC to operate and would not work on an RV.

There are residential thermostats on the market that have a humidity control feature. If you don't have a separate dehumidifier, it just allows the AC to overshoot it's set point by up to 3 degrees. To dehumidify with an air conditioner, it has to be running. Some of the higher end residential variable speed model air conditioners go into a dehumidify mode when there is no cooling call. They slow the compressor, refrigerant flow, and blower to a very low speed. This keeps the evaporator coil wet and the efficiency high. RV air conditioners don't operate like this.

A portable dehumidifier has a storage tank that requires emptying periodically. The only way to make this a long term solution would be attach a length of garden hose and gravity drain it to the outside. Even at that if the hose became clogged you would likely end up having the water back up and spill out into the coach.
Actually the dehumidifier shuts off when the holding tank get full.