Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Service Center - Seaside Or., Port Angeles

We are on a cross country trip from Maine and presently are in Seaside Or. until Sunday. From here we are moving up to Port Angeles for a week and then Whidbey Island for a week or two.

Our Norcold 1210 refrigerator/freezer does not seem to be cooling correctly. We defrosted the freezer and noticed that the ice cream does not get firm (left side of freezer). The meats that are frozen, are staying frozen, but it did not freeze the new package of chopped meat that was put in there (right side of freezer). We normally keep the temp at 6-7 and have raised it to 9. Ice in the ice trays are good (no ice maker).

Besides service center recommendations, does anyone know what the normal temps should be for the refrigerator, freezer left/right side and the tempisor?

Thanks for your help,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Have you tried a mobile repair service... If you think it is a bad circuit board you can call Dinosaur Electronics in Newport Or. and have them send a new board to your next stop.. That is if you feel that could be the issue. I have used Northwest motor coach in West Olympia to have my floor replaced on one of our slides and found them to be honest and do good work... Bigskyjimmy might have an idea of a place in PA as he hangs in the area some of the time. I am replacing my board in or fridge as we speak as mine was acting funny while running on gas.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks Larry, at this time we don't know what is wrong with it. Hoping that someone who has this model 1210 might be able to help too. Hate to cut our trip short and head home. Jim said if we can't get it fixed, there is always a cooler and ice. Could do that, but what a pain it would be for a month. I see that Northwest Motor Coach is 2-1/2 hours away, that's not too bad.

Thanks again,
Marge
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Drifty1

Have you tried a mobile repair service... If you think it is a bad circuit board you can call Dinosaur Electronics in Newport Or. and have them send a new board to your next stop.. That is if you feel that could be the issue. I have used Northwest motor coach in West Olympia to have my floor replaced on one of our slides and found them to be honest and do good work... Bigskyjimmy might have an idea of a place in PA as he hangs in the area some of the time. I am replacing my board in or fridge as we speak as mine was acting funny while running on gas.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I wouldn't think you need to cut trip short. If I was on a trip I would look at buying a cheap dorm room fridge from Walmart and set it in your trailer on the floor. If traveling during the day you could look at a cheap inverter to hook to your battery and run a extension cord to the fridge.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
You can look at this link.. It might help.
http://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?state=WA
Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I had a problem in Port Angeles on the day we were to catch the Ferry to Vancouver two years ago. The KOA there recommended an RV repair facility who dispatched a mobile tech who solved our problem (slide electrical) within a couple hours. I can' t remember the name of the RV facility but it was close to the Port Angeles KOA, and the tech seemed quite knowledgeable.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks Larry, the dorm frig is another great idea! We appreciate the link to the reviews of service centers too.

I really didn't want to cut the trip short, who knows when we would make it back to the west coast. The west coast is just beautiful, we arrived in Coronado, Ca. May 4th, spent 2 months in Ca., one month in Oregon and 3 weeks in Washington. By the time we are done we will have driven Highway 101 from Ca. to Washington. (of course not all the way with the Big Sky)

Love, love the west coast....
Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks Steve, that is another possibility too. Glad they were able to help you.

Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hunts800

I had a problem in Port Angeles on the day we were to catch the Ferry to Vancouver two years ago. The KOA there recommended an RV repair facility who dispatched a mobile tech who solved our problem (slide electrical) within a couple hours. I can' t remember the name of the RV facility but it was close to the Port Angeles KOA, and the tech seemed quite knowledgeable.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We just came from Seaside Or Mainer, and Yep you are right Drifty1 I do spend a lot of time in the Winter in Sequim/Port Angeles and right now we are in Ocean Shores Wa and they have a good Rv repair place called North Beach RV I have seen mobile techs come to the Resorts AND there is a RV repair facility in the town of Sequim and Port Angeles I just do not know if they are any good,...Mainer if you are going to Port Angles Via the Wa Coast North Beach Rv in Ocean Shores would be a good place to go get it serviced
Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You say this started after defrosting the refer. Did you move the thermistor by chance? That is the little clip on the fins which fine tunes the internal temperature. To get warmer, move it down. If you want it colder, move it up. I tend to keep mine near the top of the fins. If it was accidentally slid down it would explain the warmer temps.

I have seen a fair number of thermistor failures on the 2011/2013 models. It is an inexpensive part and easy to change. I really think you can check these out single handily before calling in the heavy guns. In any event, don't give up on your trip now! You are just starting to get to the scenic parts.

P.S. My 3700RL has been on all of Hwy-101 from the bottom of CA to the top of WA with the exception of San Francesco and Big Sur. Even I am not that adventurous!!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #11
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
Refrigerator/freezer temps should be no warmer than 40 degrees but no less than 34 degrees in the refrigerator, 0-25 degrees in the freezer and -10 and below for deep freeze according to my NSF refrigerator thermometer. Also the more "stuff" you have packed in there the harder it will be to maintain an even temp through out the interior of the unit.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Marge,

Some great advice here.

OH, and do whatever it takes to NOT interrupt the trip. Coolers, dorm frig, eat out more!

Seriously, the suggestion to check out the thermistor is a great one.

CountryGuy finally replaced the ignitor module on ours, made a huge difference, no more scares that it would not start when switching from gas to electric, etc.

Also, be sure the door(s) are closing all the way, we make sure the door CLICKS every time. Otherwise, it is like having a frost free frig.

Have fun! Stay west!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Marge, the thermistor in our fridge is about 3/4 of an inch down from the top of the fins and on the 2nd fin in from the right. I am taking readings with a digital thermometer in the freezer section to give you something to compare against. We have ours set at 5 on the controls, so you can also compare to yours now. See next for readings. John
Old 07-25-2014, 04:27 AM   #14
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Marge, readings are still dropping and i don't know what the low end spec is for my temperature probe...but it is now reading 13 degrees F in the right side of the freezer. We are in Southwest Florida where the humidity is stinking and the temps are in the mid 90's outside in the shade. John
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #15
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Jimmy,

Thanks for the recommendation. If we could get a mobile service to come out to Elwha Dam that would be great too. We will be coming up the coast to Elwha Dam park but it will be on a Sunday. Will check the hours on North Beach RV.

Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

We just came from Seaside Or Mainer, and Yep you are right Drifty1 I do spend a lot of time in the Winter in Sequim/Port Angeles and right now we are in Ocean Shores Wa and they have a good Rv repair place called North Beach RV I have seen mobile techs come to the Resorts AND there is a RV repair facility in the town of Sequim and Port Angeles I just do not know if they are any good,...Mainer if you are going to Port Angles Via the Wa Coast North Beach Rv in Ocean Shores would be a good place to go get it serviced
Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #16
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Carl,

The thermistor didn't get moved, we too always keep it toward the top. Jim will have to test the thermistor, great if that would be the problem.

We drove the coast too from southern Ca. but did not take the 5th wheel all of the time. Have been slowly moving up the coast, 100 miles to another campground. Park the 5th wheel, then drive the coast leisurely and take in all that the beautiful coast has to offer. It has been breathtaking. Think I like the west coast more than the east coast, much more dramatic.

It's hard to believe that it gets any better than what I have seen so far. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again,
Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

You say this started after defrosting the refer. Did you move the thermistor by chance? That is the little clip on the fins which fine tunes the internal temperature. To get warmer, move it down. If you want it colder, move it up. I tend to keep mine near the top of the fins. If it was accidentally slid down it would explain the warmer temps.

I have seen a fair number of thermistor failures on the 2011/2013 models. It is an inexpensive part and easy to change. I really think you can check these out single handily before calling in the heavy guns. In any event, don't give up on your trip now! You are just starting to get to the scenic parts.

P.S. My 3700RL has been on all of Hwy-101 from the bottom of CA to the top of WA with the exception of San Francesco and Big Sur. Even I am not that adventurous!!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #17
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks for taking the time to check this out for us.

Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gjetzen

Refrigerator/freezer temps should be no warmer than 40 degrees but no less than 34 degrees in the refrigerator, 0-25 degrees in the freezer and -10 and below for deep freeze according to my NSF refrigerator thermometer. Also the more "stuff" you have packed in there the harder it will be to maintain an even temp through out the interior of the unit.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #18
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Carol,

Yes, great advice and recommendations, wonderful group of people. I will be staying West. Will talk to you on FB too.

Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Marge,

Some great advice here.

OH, and do whatever it takes to NOT interrupt the trip. Coolers, dorm frig, eat out more!

Seriously, the suggestion to check out the thermistor is a great one.

CountryGuy finally replaced the ignitor module on ours, made a huge difference, no more scares that it would not start when switching from gas to electric, etc.

Also, be sure the door(s) are closing all the way, we make sure the door CLICKS every time. Otherwise, it is like having a frost free frig.

Have fun! Stay west!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #19
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thank you so much for taking the time to check your frig/freezer. We definitely do not have those readings.

Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

Marge, readings are still dropping and i don't know what the low end spec is for my temperature probe...but it is now reading 13 degrees F in the right side of the freezer. We are in Southwest Florida where the humidity is stinking and the temps are in the mid 90's outside in the shade. John
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #20
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Marge, okay...right side of freezer is stable at 12F with the fridge setting at 5. Left side of freezer is 10-11F (measured with analog type national standard thermometer) and the fridge is at 39F on the top shelf where I measured it...could be cooler where I keep my yogurt since I find an ice film on the aluminum foil lids at times. John