Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > THE TRADING POST A MOC MARKET PLACE > Trailers, Tow Vehicles & RV related items for Sale
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Remote for old original '07 DVD sound system

My DVD player/sound system died several years ago and I replaced it. But yesterday I found the remote stuck back in a drawer. I remember someone some time ago asking about a remote as theirs no longer worked. If that person, or anyone else, needs a spare remote just let me know and I will send it to you, no charge.
It is a "no name" remote, sorta off white with a grey front panel. Words "DVD Video" at the bottom.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
That's a very generous offer, but it's not likely that there are any of those systems still working. I went through 4 of them in less than 6 months. My dealer finally told me to purchase what I wanted up to $300 and he would repay. I did/he did. Problem fixed! This happened on our 2008 3400RL.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I replaced mine with a brand name and much better system.
When I stumbled on the remote I remembered someone asking some time ago if anyone had one.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Bill, I sent you a PM regarding remote. I could use it if it is still available.

Thanks,
Russ
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

That was probably me asking about that.
Fortunately, a fellow MOC’er came through and had the remote.
It was still working when I replaced the system.
Glad to see that someone can make use of it!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Thanks to BB_TX for the remote. I can't wait to try it out next week when we take our next trip. The MOC family is so generous!!
Russ
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Bill, what did you buy for a replacement, how much and where did you buy it. My system in my 2010 Montana is pretty pathetic. Bad radio reception and poor sound quality for the CD music. Looking to replace whole system.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have a fairly restricted opening in the cabinet where mine is mounted. I measured the width, height, and depth available (and that of the speaker openings) and went to Best Buy to see what they had. They had several models of home theater systems from several different manufacturers including Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc. I bought a Panasonic Bluray DVD/home theater system as the basic unit was the closest in size to the old unit. And we had a number of Bluray DVDs at home we can now take and watch in the Monty.
But the primary reason for choosing the Panasonic is that the speakers were also the closest in size to the old ones. The basic unit fit in the opening fine. But I had to open up (i.e. cut) the cabinet openings a little to get the new speakers in. Not much, maybe a 1/2" width and height. Not too big of a deal to do that. The other units had larger speakers and would probably have required fabricating some new cabinet components to mount those speakers. But for the small floor space in the trailer you really do not need large speakers.
Have not tried CDs in it. But it does have an iPod port that I have used. Good music sound from that.
Has an FM tuner but have not tried that either.
I also connected the TV audio output to the home theater audio input. Sound from the (also new) Samsung 32" TV is pretty good, but is much better thru the home theater system.
Bought mine 4-5 years ago. Was in Best Buy a few days ago. They did not appear to have the same model I bought, but they did still have several different manufacturers, models, and sizes.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
Penny and I added a Samsung Blu-ray player to the existing system on our 2010 Monty. I ran an HDMI cable directly to the 2nd input on the TV and the sound (as predicted) only came out the TV. I thought about the issue and finally it dawned on me that what I really needed was an additional audio tap off of the Blu-Ray into the system amp.

The solution was actually simple. All I needed was an optical cable from the Blu-Ray to the D-In on the amp. Sounded pretty decent, certainly not my home system!

Side note: When we first got the unit (Jan 2010), the sounds were totally messed up out of the speakers. Using sound diagnostics, I went through and reconfigured all of the speaker wires. The factory person obviously wasn't having a good day when they were done. A couple of the wires were not terminated correctly (open) and in the wrong position.
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jgavin

The solution was actually simple. All I needed was an optical cable from the Blu-Ray to the D-In on the amp.
I am curious. Apparently you did not already have an optical cable from the TV to the amplifier? You might try connecting the optical cable from the TV, instead of the Blu-Ray, to the amp. That way sound (including any 5.1 type) from the OTA, what ever is hooked into HDMI #1 (satellite system?) and the Blu-Ray from HDMI #2 will all be fed through the amp. If you have the Samsung amp be sure to set the sound to "Matrix" to exploit any 5.1 Surround Sound signal.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jgavin

The solution was actually simple. All I needed was an optical cable from the Blu-Ray to the D-In on the amp.
I am curious. Apparently you did not already have an optical cable from the TV to the amplifier? You might try connecting the optical cable from the TV, instead of the Blu-Ray, to the amp. That way sound (including any 5.1 type) from the OTA, what ever is hooked into HDMI #1 (satellite system?) and the Blu-Ray from HDMI #2 will all be fed through the amp. If you have the Samsung amp be sure to set the sound to "Matrix" to exploit any 5.1 Surround Sound signal.
No Carl,

We only had an HDMI from the amp to the TV, nothing else, but now that you've suggested that, When I pull it back from storage in a couple of weeks, that's on my do list before the labor day vacation.
Many thanks!

Will advise on results.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #12
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Hi Carl,

I reconfigured the TV, amp and Blu-ray player as you suggested and it worked great! Many thanks!

The Tailgater Satellite system is due in today and we'll get that setup posthaste. Really interested in seeing how that works out.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Glad to hear you got it working.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote