Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Glad I had my bearings repacked

I had the service shop co-located where I store my rig inspect and repack the bearings on our fifth wheel last week. They called that afternoon to advise me that the rivets holding the brake assembly on the driver's rear axle had sheared off (the assembly fell off in their hands when the drum was removed) and that the two assemblies on the passenger side have stress fractures.

The good news is our extended warranty will cover the repairs, but it has to done by the dealer where we bought it (since it is within 40 miles) so it has to be towed there on a flatbed because they feel it is not safe to tow AS IS. As is typical, the dealer says it will take at least 30 to 45 days for repairs (the other place could have done it the next day).

The question I have is what could cause these kind of failures? Is this possibly the result of the axles walking when backing up and making a sharp turn? Do I need to consider investing in a X-Factor?

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated and I will keep you posted on what the dealer says.

kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Kyle,
Is the axle the problem or the brake assembly? This is all on dexter so you should contact them either way. I suggest pics and e-mail them to dexter. Brake assemblys are not that expensive.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Towing will likely be considerably more than buying new brake assemblies and having them installed by your shop. Because of the height of your trailer, you'll likely need a lowboy, so now you're talking about a semi truck tow service.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I would think a phone call to Dexter,and pictures to them would be in order. They may cover the cost of brake replacement where it is now. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree. I would also consider X Factors.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Clear things up for me here ... I don't know where there are any rivets on your brake assemblies. Brake shoes are bonded now days. Do you mean the 5 bolts holding the backing plate to your axle flange? If the flange bolts had indeed sheared off, there would have been one hell of a noise any time your fiver was in motion. It also would have ripped your brake wires completely out of that brake assembly surely causing a controller fault. Like previously mentioned, each brake assembly can be had for @$75 each ... they're pretty much bolt on and connect 2 wires. If the tow is coming from your own pocket ... you may be farther ahead buying the parts and having them installed at the current service shop.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
It is the backing plate flange bolts that have sheared off. It is hard to say when this occurred (since last spring when the bearing were repacked), but I have not heard any additional noise. The mechanic did verify the wires were pulled out, but no trailer fault is present.

In regards to towing, they will be using a lowboy for the job, but the extended warranty company has confirmed the repairs and tow are covered. I had not reached out to Dexter since it was past the warranty period and since the repairs were going to be covered I did not press the issue.

We are interested in finding exactly what has occurred so we can take steps to prevent it down the road, but my first thought was X-Factors would be a positive step.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
That's amazing, never heard of brake backing bolts shearing off on one brake much less 2 more about too. Only thing I can think of that would cause this is they did not tighten down the bolts and they were very loose.. I would be interested too, on how this happened. I also wonder why your controller didn't throw a fault too. Definitly don't want it to occur going down the road.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

That's amazing, never heard of brake backing bolts shearing off on one brake much less 2 more about too. Only thing I can think of that would cause this is they did not tighten down the bolts and they were very loose.. I would be interested too, on how this happened. I also wonder why your controller didn't throw a fault too. Definitly don't want it to occur going down the road.
This is my thought as well. I have done mechanical work on cars, trucks and trailers for nearly 50 years (God that makes me feel old!) and I have never experienced a backing plate failure, other than rust.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
All this has us puzzled as well. The assembly does not show any obvious damage externally other than the sheared bolts. The good news is the extended warranty company is finally allowing it to be repaired where it sits and not tow it to the dealer. ETA for repairs went from 30 to 45 days at the dealer to mid-next week where it sits. To be fair to the dealer, they called the extended warranty company and made the case to repair it where it sits.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Kyle,
Your mention of the X-Factor confused me a little. I know our rig was subject to recall where a single X-Factor type brace was installed on the center of the spring hangers. Were you not subject to the same recall?
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You know me ... I've gotta get technical. The X factor is a great add on ... I made and installed a copy of the X Factor with a solid beam for my fiver a couple of years back. It will add some rigidity to the frame in the middle and lessen the twisting of the spring hangers during tight turns on hard pavement. What I can't see is it having anything to do with the backing plates on the ends of your axles. There will always be a certain amount of spring wrap up in tight turns ... it's just a given. The X Factor will help that. Backing plates supply a solid structure to keep your brake shoes from spinning during braking. It transfers braking energy between the loaded framework work of your fiver and the road. I'm leaning toward some previous posters conclusions ... perhaps your backing plate bolts were never adequately tightened. Whatever the end conclusion ... it sounds as if it's all coming together with your repair.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Bingo,
I asked last year about the recall you mentioned and was told it did not apply to our unit. I did do a look up by VIN and it was not on the list.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Even more odd. Here is the recall:
Cross Member Recall
Here is what they put on ours (solid cross member is visible behind the front axle and between the axles):

Looking at the recall, it is date specific, but it does make you wonder what they changed in the course of a couple of months that made the "problem" go away?
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:
Looking at the recall, it is date specific, but it does make you wonder what they changed in the course of a couple of months that made the "problem" go away?
Bingo
Judging from the description of flex, I would bet they welded in a couple gussets to reinforce the frame in that area.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I installed the one piece center X Factor last year and the additional two this year. I can see where they would add strength to the suspension and I feel a lot better having done them..
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I don't think the X-factors had anything to do with the bolts shearing. One thing that comes to my mind is did they balance you tires. Even that I kinda doubt would have been enough to shear those bolts but there's not a whole lot that could have caused that.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #18
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
The tires (G614s) were balanced when they were installed two years ago and I had them rebalanced last spring as well. A point of note I should have mentioned, I replaced one tire last fall where the back plate bolts were found sheared off; it was replaced due to excessive wear on the inside edge. The other three tires, as well as the replacement, are wearing normally.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #19
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
One last question, our rig has the Mor/Ryde rubber suspension, which X Factor model do I need? I see there are two types:

RE21-004 Crossmember for MOR/ryde LRE, RE & TRE suspensions

or

UO21-003 Crossmember for SRE, CRE, Stock & other equalizers
Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

I don't think the X-factors had anything to do with the bolts shearing. One thing that comes to my mind is did they balance you tires. Even that I kinda doubt would have been enough to shear those bolts but there's not a whole lot that could have caused that.
Tire/wheel balance wouldn't have any effect on the bolts holding on the brake backing plates. Loose bolts could though since each time the brakes were actuated, they would slam the backing plate forward (and backward when backing the trailer up). The only function of those bolts, besides holding the backing plate in place, is to keep it and the brake parts mounted to it from turning when the brakes are engaged. I'm convinced that had to be the culprit.