Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Dropping Water Pressure

I have owned my Montana since 2007 and tried many fixes but nothing seems to change how my water pressure functions. When I am using the pump and not hooked up to an external water source the water pressure is good, almost like being on external water, then after about 10 to 15 seconds it drops to a trickle. Taking a shower is a real challenge with this drop in pressure. I was wondering if I am experiencing something unusual or are the rest of you experiencing the same thing. Of course, if you are and you figured out a fix please let me know. Thanks John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Describe how the pump is running. Does the pump maintain the same operation or is it surging, pumping harder, etc....It sounds like it is unable to draw water.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Sounds like the screen on the pump could be blocked or you need to adjust the pressure screw at the pump, a lot of times they are set to low and will do that. locate your pump and you should see an adjustment screw to turn up the pressure.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
OK, I will try to adjust the pressure screw tomorrow. The pump seems to pump as though it was normal and basically pumps pretty much the same for a while and then cuts off but the pressure still seams to drop drastically after the first serge.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I have now taken the pump out, I also removed the Accumulator and it still does the same thing. Starts out strong and then drops to a trickle. I did pull the pump, opened it up and cleaned everything in sight. I also adjusted the pressure screw to allow for more pressure but all that seemed to make no difference in performance. Any other suggestions? Thanks. John
Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
Is this happening in all the faucets or just one? I had a similiar situation and determined it was sand blocking the aeriator on the faucets themselves. Mine happened in the shower wand and the bathroom sink. Seems that on a trip to Rocky Point we didn't have our filter on and we took on a bunch of sand from the park hook ups. The pump would run great for a short time then the faucet would slow way down.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #7
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
gojodo,Try capping off the shore water inlet. The O ring there could have debri in it allowing air to be pulled in. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
It is on all faucets. I will try to cap off the shore water inlet, it has a quick connection now but I will take it off and cap it.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
OK, I have now checked everything I can, including the City water inlet. I have also replaced the pump with a new one. The problem still exists. By elimination I can only come up with some form of blockage between the pump and the fresh water tank. But I can think of no place where such blockage could occur. Can anyone come up with anything further?? Thanks. John
Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Wonder if maybe the end of the suction line in the potable water tank might be restricted, and the pump is gradually collapsing the suction line? I've had the bottom down at the fresh water tank, but don't recall how it is plumbed.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Can the lines be "blown out" with an air compressor? or will that do more damage than good? I still have no DC pump water (since the spring rally). I've been so busy and it's been so hot I've just been putting it off. I did take the pump out, hooked it up to a battery in the workshop, and it pumped water. As soon as it started, though, I disconnected the battery to keep from getting my shop wet. When I re-installed it, nothing but noise. I may try to cap off the city water this weekend. That does sound like a possible cause.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I don't see city water inlet causing a problem. It pressures up when pump is operating. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #13
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I did check the city outlet and it is not the problem, but SlickWillie I would love to know how you know that.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hee hee! Me to.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gojodo

I did check the city outlet and it is not the problem, but SlickWillie I would love to know how you know that.
Stand in front of it on a nice cool day and poke the check valve with a small screwdriver and you'll see what I did (with pump on). Then the darn check wouldn't re-seat. Dang near drowned me.