Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Great Smoky Mountains Camping

Hi All,

I would like to know from any MOC members that live around the Smoky's, what the weather is like in late March or early April. Especially on the North Carolina side.

Would like to extend our camping season a week or 2 by starting out with a week or 2 trip down there or maybe into the Maggie Valley area.

Any recommended RV resorts or campgrounds in the park itself? Have always wanted to set under the awning and look out over a valley or other mountain scene.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dale

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Dale,
Good to see a "non-technical" post from you! My recollection of weather that time of year is that the red buds and dogwoods are just blooming around Easter, but the trees haven't leafed, yet. Maybe Dennis (mail2us) can give you some better info, as he has a place in western NC.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That is an interesting question. If we don't make it all the way south this winter, that might be a good alternative for the spring. Good to hear from Dale again.

On edit: Some years back, we quite often went to Kentucky in April and found the weather there to be quite pleasant, at least when compared to the weather back home in S. Ontario, and I would assume also in N. Indiana.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #4
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Thanks guys, for your quick responses!

Our campground doesn't open until mid April. With business conditions as they are, I'm kicking around the idea of going down there for a week or 2 before Twin Mills opens for the season. Thereby, extending our season a couple weeks because, the campground doesn't close until the end of October.

So, if the last week of March and the first week of April have temperatures for daily highs of mid to high 60's, might be worth while to give it a try.

Hope others that know about that region respond.

Thanks,
Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dale,

Because we have a home near Waynesville/Maggie Valley I can only give you a few parks that I know of, but having never stayed, would not be sure about recommending. You could take the names and check with Woodall's, TrailerLife directory and GoodSams.

1. Creekwoodfarmrv.com

2. Trailsend RV park (google this one)

3. Moonshinecreekcampground.com

Sailer has stayed at Creekwoodfarmsrv which is right in Maggie Valley.

Weather:

March/April timeframe can be great or even light snow. 2 years ago we had 3 inches of snow on April 1st. Locals don't like to plant sooner than May 1st. Trees can begin to bud but all in all, if it's a late spring, views are actually more expansive. Temps can be in 60's during daytime.

Take the Mrs. to Asheville to spend a day touring the Biltmore Estate. It's about 40 miles from Maggie Valley via I-40.

Let us know when you come and we can try and visit if we are up from Florida by then. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
go to creekwoodfarms as they are open year rd , great place to stay as dennis says he never stayed there but we spend 3 weeks at least every year, it is at exit 20 on

i 40 and asheville is at exit 50 about so its only 30 miles at 60 to 65 mph so its 40 min to get to all the sites,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Dennis, Judy, John and Sharon,

Thank you, very much for the great suggestions! If this is something we can plan, I will definitely check into Creekwood Farms. Got the name written right here on the note pad.

Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
BTW Dennis and Judy,

I just noticed you names on the interested list for the rally up in Machinaw City later this summer. Gail and I now have our reservation in. Sure would like to meet you folks up there.

Dale and Gail
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
keep up the e-mails to dennis MIMF as maybe we will get them up out of the mountains for a change in july,,, sailer

other good parks in the smokies Mama Gertie's Swannanoa,nc
Camperfire lodgings in asheville,nc on the top of a mtn
creekwood farms is in the trailer life book i can't find the web page rite now
sailer
Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Here is the URL for Creekwood Farm RV

www.creekwoodfarmrv.com

Another campground if you wish to be over closer to Cherokee is Holly Cove. We have stayed there several times and enjoyed it.

www.hollycovervresort.com

We always try to eat at least once at the Jarrett House in Dillsboro.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Has anybody stayed at Riverside RV park in Sevierville, TN? We will be going there in June and would like recommendations in Pidgeon Forge or Sevierville.
Thanks
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
We stayed at Creekwood Farm RV last year and would definitely go back. Try to get a spot on the creek especially if you have a rear livingroom with a picture window. The owners are really nice and they had a band on the weekend when we were there. They also had a barbeque and potluck for everyone. The bathrooms/showers were unbelievable. Nicer than my house.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dale, we were there from March 28, 2005 to May 20, 2005 and loved it. Early on, trees were bare but we watched as they blossomed. We wore light jackets in the higher altitudes and sometimes at all altitudes. But crowds were light, the water was flowing beautifully down the falls and rivers. We liked it so much we extended our planned month to seven weeks. We stayed in Gatlinburg, just a couple of miles outside the gate to the park.

Dale ... www.geocities.com/stevereigle , then click on 2005 Postcards. The postcards are dated as they were published, not as we had those experiences. The postcards are from April 8 through June 24. Enjoy! That's one of my very favorite National Parks.

Vicki says to tell you April is gorgeous there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Besides the Jarrett House that Padredw speaks of, you can't miss the Moose Cafe, 570 Brevard Rd, in Ashville, just off I-40. Tom41 told us of it a couple of years ago and I am still full from eating their home cooking. Creekwood and the Pride Resort(C2C), next door, are two Maggie Valley campgrounds worth staying at. We were there in mid-April and the days were in mid-60s and trees beginning to bud. We did have heavy winds a couple of days and nights.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Steve, Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing them!

If I was sure about the economy and other factors, we'd be gone! Got the plans made to go up to the rally in Mackinaw City at the end of July.

Gail and are have decided that we want to be there on Wednesday the 29th but first, we are going to possibly leave the house on Monday and stay a day or so at Sleeping Bear Dunes about 2/3rds the way up the western Michigan coast. Need to get campground reservations made at Betsie's Camping Site just outside the park.

Thanks, again for the pictures.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
try Big Meadows RV Park in Townsend , tn , very near pigion forge ,, nice park and friendly people,,,,sailer