Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Waste Tank Rinse Regulator

Friday I had a bad water leak on my living room carpet around the steps to the bedroom. This happened right after I had dumped the tanks and rinsed the black tank. At first I thought it was a loose hose connection to shower faucet, since we had just used the shower a short while ago. I removed the panel to access the back of the shower faucet to check hose connections and they were just fine. I then removed the basement panel next to the furnace and noticed water dripping down from the backside of the shower. I looked at the shower connections again and found they were fine. I played contortionist and looked further down from the shower faucet connections and noticed two water hoses about two feet below the shower faucet connection which appeared to have a regulator, which was leaking, connected between the two hoses separate from the shower hoses. Of course, there wasn't an access point to get to the regulator, since the shower faucet access was 2 feet above and I could only reach the regulator with one arm. I cut out a square access hole in the wall panel in the closet so I could use both hands to grip the regulator and hoses. After removing the leaking regulator, I went to the service department of a local Keystone dealer, and was told not only did they not have the part, but really didn't know what it did or had never seen one before.
Fortunately, the water regulator had the name of the distributor and a model number. The distributor is "Lakeview RV Supplies" out of Austin, Texas. The Regulator is there to regulate water between city water supply and waste tank sprayer.
I contacted Lakeview RV Supplies, and they put a new one in the mail that morning at no cost, said it was warranted for two years. I got the new one this afternoon and it is fine.
During the weekend I used water from fresh water tank, which bypasses the regulator, so no leak problems. (Even if you are not spraying black tank, water does circulate through regulator if you use the city water connection regardless if you are using hose attached to city water inlet or waste tank rinse inlet.)
Hope nobody else has this problem.

PS: Lakeview RV Supplies telephone #512-261-8000

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Thanks for the info and number. I'm sure it will help others in the future.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
So are you saying that Keystone puts a pressure regulator on the back-flush but not the potable water source? I have been of the mindset that I needed a regulator for both - I use a 60 PSI one on the city water side and a 40 PSI on the back-flush (because I didn't like the 40 when it was connected to city water and bought the 60).

Ozz is at Travelers World in San Antonio, with 160 PSI city connection. We were there until Tuesday morning (Jim and Sue - I wish we knew you were going to be there; we would have waited a day or two before leaving - we really miss you guys). I had the regulator attached *after* the water filter. Don't ask why - just dumb, I guess. Anyway, the water filter sprung a leak due to the high pressure.

I got the idea that I should use a regulator on the back-flush connection while in Salt Lake City where the local KOA has high water pressure. I was using the regulator for our city connection and then went to start flushing the black tank. As I was connecting the gray hose, I said to myself - self? If high pressure no good for potable, then pressure no good for back-flush!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I just posted in another thread (What is it??)about a "valve" which is under my bathroom sink...its clear plastic with wires in it......I think I should have read this thread first and it may be a regulator.....What does one look like ?? and what do I do to/with it??
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
The regulator is clear plastic, shaped similiar like your propane regulator. Inside the regulator is a white disk with a black rubber gasket around it, which sits at the bottom of the regulator until water is turned on to flush the black tank, at which time the disk goes to the top of the regulator sealing the relief holes in the top of the regulator, unless of course there is too much pressure and then the water leaks out of the top. Hope this helps. Anyway, I just traded my Montana today for a 2008 Carriage Cameo, so the very best of luck to all of you. (I didn't trade because of leaky regulator, we just wanted a triple slide vice our double slideout, and Carriage dealer had a great deal.)
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
It is NOT a regulator.
It is a vaccum break valve.
Sometime the seat will leak, and needs to be replaced.
I had the problem last winter and had to replace the unit.
That is why when you un-hook the hose on the outside the water runs out.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote