Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
CRS..... Fridge quit! Update report 11/20

The reason for the CRS in the subject title is that I can't remember if I posted about this problem or not AND I remember there was some discussion about a problem of ammonia leaking. But I can't find it either!

We just had the Recall thing done on our unit about 2 months ago! That is where they installed a protective tin sheathing in the lower right hand area of the bottom of the outside of the fridge. I'm wondering if they did something when they installed the "fix".

I can see the wet area where the ammonia is leaking and can also smell it.

So I apologize if I've posted about this before. And can anyone point me to the discussion about the leak?

Thanks.

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis,

We just had done, I think Al told me that the fix only keeps the unit from going up in flames, but that the ammonia can still leak. He is in the house now, trying to get the dry wall ready for the painters, or I would verify this with him before I post it. But, what I remember him moaning about was that it would NOT stop the leak thing from happening.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carol,

Thank you for the reply. Was it the ammonia leak that you had repaired? Can you give a general idea of what to expect in the way of $$$?

Thanks.

Dennis
Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sorry Dennis, Must have responded in a way that was misunderstood.

We had the recall repair done, no cost.

So far, knock on our old wooden noggins, we have not had a leak.

Previous unit leaked all ammonia out, we were told to toss the frig out and get a new unit, but this was ohhhhh 7 or 8 years ago now, maybe even longer. The frig and TT were built in 1989, older and different technology for sure.

We did NOT repair that frig, we yanked out of the trailer and eventually replaced with a electric frig, built for an apartment, 10 cubic foot. Fit right in the opening with 1 inch maybe on each side to spare.

Have no knowledge that will help you on cost to repair your frig, or if it can even be done. So sorry for the mis-understanding.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks Carol,

I appreciate the quick response. I seem to remember some discussion about this problem being discussed here on the board but so far no one else has stepped forward. Maybe someone who actually had the problem will run across this thread and give a response.

Thanks again for your info.

Dennis
Old 10-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Dennis, I searched - "Refrigerator Recall" and found eleven threads. I couldn't find any threads started by you, but I didn't go through each one to see if you mentioned your problem.

CRS must be contagious, I have that problem too. LOL

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis,

PrairiePoodle???

Think they had a leak, but frig was replaced under warranty??

Is that what/who you are looking for?

Tis early in the AM, you know the ole tired slow brain?? Not sure I got it right, but there ya go.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #8
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
My fridg quit on New Years Day 2005. The ammonia was all over the inside of the cabinet. I was told by two different repair shops that the cooling unit was toast and the repair would be about $1,400 and a new one would be about $2,000. We went with the new one. THEN this year we heard about the recall, our unit was covered and after some correspondence we got a check for $2,032. I did write a letter on my business stationary. YMMD
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Time for a BIG SKY!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
We had our fridge fail (ammonia leak at the "boiler") prior to the recall. The cost of replacing the cooling unit was about $1400. After the recall, we submitted a claim to Dometic, and after going through a couple submissions (having the dealer more succinctly state the reason for the failure), we received reimbursement for the replacement.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
They have to replace the whole back part of the unit--it isn't repairable as far as we know. Ours died before the recall but was replaced under warranty. As a suggestion, you can use a regular house refer. We lost ours one year in Mexico and got a 10 cuft one with auto defrost for under $350. You can get an inverter and use the battery when boondocking. Several mfgrs offer the Amana 15.5 cuft refer as an option with an inverter. Sure would cost less than $1400. Just don't poke a hole in a coolant line like I did trying to anchor it!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:31 AM   #12
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Dennis,
Our ref. went out in Fla. in January 2004 and we had a new one installed at Camping World for $1300. with two year warranty.
They wanted $900. to replace the rear coil and that had no warranty.
The old one had just run out of warranty in June.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Here's an update on the fridge problem.

Took the rig in today and dealer said they would call Dometic. I had called them a few days earlier and they had indicated that the repair should be under the recall. Just got a call an hour or so ago and the dealer said that Dometic was sending a repair part and all would be covered by recall. No charge!

Thank you to all who contributed their fridge situations. We appreciate all the info.

Dennis
Old 11-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Carol,

Thank you for the reply. Was it the ammonia leak that you had repaired? Can you give a general idea of what to expect in the way of $$$?

Thanks.

Dennis
Dennis, when ours went out in 2004, we were quoted a price of around $850 for a rebuilt unit. Since we were under extended warranty, we opted to pay an additional $300 and got a new refrigerator.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:07 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
HamRad, a few years ago my Dad had a dead fridge. He got replacement guts for the fridge for far less than a new fridge. If I recall, it was something around $300 in those days. And it was exchange. They paid shipping both ways. He got it from KC Home Trailer Co. in Kansas City. 1115 Merriam Lane, KC, KS. (913) 262-8722 if you want to talk with them about your options. My brother swapped the hardware. He said it's not very difficult although he did have to pull the fridge out of their rig to do it.

It's not a big place. I've been in there many times. Often they beat CW and RV dealers for prices.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #16
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
You should be able to replace frig. for 1000-1200. New cooling unit is 600-800 and no warranty. The rerebuilt cooling units don't really hold up that well either. There are a couple of places you can order from just do a search on domectic cooling units. I would spend the xtra cash a get a new one though.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 AM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Well............ Since Dometic is picking up the complete tab on this one I'll be satisfied with whatever they do..... as long as it actually works!

I'll keep all this info at hand in case we eventually end up having to replace the fridge.

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 11-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Well we got the rig back yesterday. Get it home and parked in the driveway. We open up and turn the fridge on and it does not appear to be working. So we put an ice cube tray in the freezer. This morning went out to check it out could still not tell that it was working. Opened up the freezer and expected to be able to put my finger in the water. But to my surprise it was frozen solid! So I guess they fixed it. The back side of the fridge looks to be completely new. It is even a different color..... black instead of gray.

Here's hoping that they got it right. Took a total of 17 days. Guess that is not too bad. And of course the best part is that it cost $0!

Dennis
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our fridge in the Monty was replaced with a new one under warranty. We had an ammonia leak and next day it died. Called a Dometic repair person and he checked it out and tried everything to get it to work. Nothing worked so he called Dometic and they sent the new fridge to him and he installed it.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #20
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Good news Dennis. Did you check it both on electric and gas? Have you replaced your window yet?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote