Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
extended warrenty

Advice please. I generally do not buy extended warrenties. My Monty is 2 years old next month, and Dometic is offerring me the opportinity to buy more warranty for years 3, 4 and or 5 for both my 15k btu air conditioner and my refrigerator. Seems like the warranty cost is about 5 to 7 % the cost of new, installed from Camping World.

THat warranty percent seems reasonable since I wouldn't expect the appliances to last 20 years. (BTW I am a full timer).

Still, hard to part with cash. And I always figured the manufacturer knew all the statistics and knew how to price the deal. Maybe since I am a full timer and I plan to keep the unit, maybe it'd be a good investment.

Look forward to your advice.

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Gene,
I used to be a non-believer in extended warranties because I'm of the old school that says manufacturers should make their products better. Remember the days of yesterday when Sears advertised "Good, Better, Best?" They didn't need an extended warranty. But today's manufacturing has led me to be a believer of extended warranties. They have paid off on my truck and RV as well my replacement Dometic refrigerator. The fridge was replaced under extended warranty so I was offered an extended warranty on the new fridge. It has paid off already in just minor things like the replacement of the door latches--6 latches have been replaced in two years! But Dometic makes a great product. I believe for using them full time, they're not doing too badly since they are originally designed for "vacation" or "occasional" use.

Don't let anyone tell you need or don't need an extended warranty. You have to weigh the costs and determine for yourself. All we can do is provide our experiences for you to draw on.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #3
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks Orv
I certainly plan to weigh all advice received both pro and con. I will have to make my own decision in the end.

And I DO REMEMBER "good, better, best"!

Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a extended warranty..We were just not confident that we would have no high dollar failures over the next 6 years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I also went with the extended warranty. With all the electrical components as well as electronics that are in these units makes the odds of something failing much greater. Rather then spending money on a warranty for just those items you are talking about I would recommend you spend a little more and get one that covers everything. Like the 1/2 time ovens or the DVD units that fail so often I don't worry because it will be replaced under warranty anytime it fails.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have a extended warranty..We were just not confident that we would have no high dollar failures over the next 6 years.
Same here.

We are quite confident something (high dollar) will break in next seven years.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We bought a warranty through the dealer. It is for 6 year and if it is not used you get your money back
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
For me the extended warranty was well worth the money. Things are going to fail over time. I am using my warranty right now for a new hot water heater. The heater and the labor will be about the cost of the warranty. I still have 2 years left on my warranty. This will come in handy if there is a problem with the fridge, air conditioner or electrical problem.
Food for thought.
phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I bought the extended warranty for the same reasons that have already been stated here.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:33 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I will be purchasing the dealer-offered extended warranty before the end of the Keystone warranty period. Even though the price has increased $300.00 since the time of the Montana purchase, six additional years of coverage with no deductible is a no-brainer for me. I will be on my third Apollo by the time we go for our Thanksgiving trip, so if that average continues, the cost of the extended warranty is way under the 18 Apollos we should go through at the current rate. LOL!! Seriously though, I justify it as others have knowing that all of the covered equipment will be bouncing along (the highways and byways of WV) which is enough punishment for me to want the coverage. Insurance is insurance, a personal decision, but I feel it is warranted for my ease of mind and wallet.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:49 AM   #11
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I have always been an advocate of extended warranties. They are cheap insurance over the long haul when they are needed. We have to have the converter replaced on our Monty. With our extended warranty our cost is $34.00. That covers the converter and labor at the dealer.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote