Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I have to get one!!!!

I`am at the northest rally at Pine Hill as I type.Last night a storm came in.Thankfully a guy let us all know before it hit.He said a storm is brewing and any one who doesn`t have a awning tie-down should go to their rig and retract their awning.Well that was me.

With some help from david-of David & Jo-anna i got the awning up just in time.All the smart MOC members who know a lot more then I had awning tie-downs already in place.None with the awning tie-downs had a problem.

These awning tie-down systems really do a good job in keeping your awning where it sould be.The wind blew pretty good and every one that had the tie-downs had no problem with their awnings.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I use the screw in or spiral anchors. Even then, if I hear of severe weather coming, I retract the awning.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Even with the tiedowns you need to protect the fabric from tearing away from the attachment on the Montana. For years I've used three deflappers on each side. But last year in the RGV with the constant wind I bought some more and now use five on each side. The awning withstood some pretty strong winds without a problem. However, if prediction is for very strong winds, the awning comes down. I'd rather do that before the storm than be out in the storm bringing it in (which we have had to do a couple of times).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Place little trust in any kind of awning tie downs..When bad weather comes up...roll up the awning. we just use the de flappers in moderate winds..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto Stiles and Steve, I use the screw in anchors with springs and straps, de-flappers, and watch the springs for movement when I am at the rig, if there are winds in excess of 30mph at night or if I am leaving the rig, awning comes in!! Knock on wood, haven't had to replace an awning yet.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
The problem last night with the screw in ones. is that with the rain and the ground getting soft they pulled out of the and was the start of the problems.
If the ground is hard, or with large stones they are hard to get it.
What works the best is a 12 to 16 inch long piece of concrete re-enforcement rod with a washer welded on it put in at an angle.
Also paint them with red florcent paint
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
When you think about it, the awning has more surface area than the sail on some small sail boats. It can catch a lot of wind and generate more force than the attachment points or fabric can handle.

I always put mine down when I'll be gone for any appreciable time (unless I'm very certain the weather forecast is for calm winds)or when I know a blow is coming. I have been known to be outside at 3am, shirtless and getting wet, putting mine down though. LOL
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
The new Big Sky has an electric awning, I don't think you can use tie-downs or deflappers. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carlson, I agree. I have a tripod with a bar about that same size for tightening the tripod. I use that with the anchors for the awning tiedowns. Without it I'd never get them in and out of the ground in most places.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote