Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Love this Generator

Hi All,

Recently bought this Generator, after seeing it at Checker Auto and then reading about it on several RV Forums. There's a couple hundred posts out there on RV.net, Camping World Forums and Escapees. I read till I was cross eyed. Then I noticed the Contractors using them in our new Community that's still under construction. Saw about a half dozen, and they run those things 8/10 hrs. a day. Talking to them they gave me the thumbs up. (My Spanish isn't great, had to use hand signals.)

Everyone that has bought these has been very impressed. The main question that kept coming up was "How can this be?. Quality and low price. It just doesn't equate.

I ran mine in for the 5 hr. break in at 3, 1/2 hr and 4, 1 hr. runs, then changed oil. Used Syn. Mobil 1 after break in. This thing runs like a dream.

It's a 3500 Watt with 4000 Watts peak.

It has all the power we need and runs our 15K A/C with out hardly knowing it.

Plenty of outlets. 30 Amp 120/240 AC Twistlock Plug
30 Amp 120 AC RV Plug
20 Amp 120 AC Plug
10 Amp 15 DC Plug

Also a built in Volt Meter

Starts on the first or second pull (If I remember to flip the switch to on. ) Not as quiet as some, like Honda or Yamaha, but here's the best part $299 till the end of the Month.

If you have been thinking about a Gen. you may want to jump on this one. www.partsamerica.com Also can view at www.cpeauto.com/de3500RV_gen.htm

Happy camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've read some on this genset on other forums ... I can't argue with you on the price nor can I argue with the success stories so far, but for personal satisfaction, I can't seem to find any black and white info on the quality of output voltage and how much distortion of the output sine wave one should expect. Most any RV manufactured as of late has PC boards controlling about anything from your fridge to the A/C to your converter. Some of the entertainment centers are now sporting LCD and plasma TVs. Owners are connected to the internet via their computers onboard the RV. I'm wondering if this is but a contractor grade genset with the RV plug as a marketing ploy. I have no doubt this unit makes "electricity" suitable to run a fan or lights, but what about the risk of the above mentioned items. I reckon I'll need a wait and see period. One final thought ... at 68 decibles, I'm thinking you won't be the most popular guy in the park.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,

I've had one of the Chinese Generators for a couple of years. Mine is a UST3000. It has 25 amps going to a single 120 Volt outlet. I used mine to power my coach while doing disaster relief after Katrina. It powers my 15K BTU AC and microwave with no problems.. The voltage never varies from about 124 volts and it has been run for hours on end. The frequency is controlled by the speed of the generator which is very stable. The signal out is very clean. The noise level is not as good as a Honda, but you can stand beside it and talk without having to raise your voice. It does meet the noise requirements set by the National Park Service. If you were boondocking away from other campers it wouldn't be an issue anyway.

I have been very pleased with this generator at the $319.00 I paid for it, and at 8 - 10 times less than Honda or Yamaha I can throw a few away and still be ahead of the game. The Champion you describe is an even better option because it already has a 30 Amp RV plug. I had to make an adapter for mine using the twistlock plug provided with the generator.

Here's a link to my installation:

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...generator.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
I purchased the Champion this past winter and am more than happy with it. I monitor line voltage will my Kill-o-Watt meter and it stays right on the 124 volt reading and 60 hz. This was while running our 15K A/C, microwave and TV. I never use mine in a situation that would bother other people so being whisper quiet is not a factor for me. I only wish some people with their kids and dogs would be so considerate.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My Chinese Kipor is a Honda clone and called a Sinemaster. Power is supposed to be safe for all high tech stuff. So far so good.
A little harder to start than a Honda and a tad noisier but I would buy another one.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I've been looking at the Kipor also. From what I've read and seen in action, it will work perfect and not effect the computer or other sensitive electronics.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I bought one of these chinese generators hoping to be able to use it in campgrounds. They are definitely worth the money. It is dependable and puts out enough power to run everything in the coach (not at the same time, of course), but in my opinion, they are not quiet enough to run in a campground.
I still use mine around the stickhouse, but I sprung for a Yamaha 2400 for camping.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the Kipor 3500ti. It cranks up the main A/C with no problem .Ran it at Quartzsite and our neighbors less than 100 feet away had no idea I was running a generator.With a normal load it is a low hummmm inside the camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
I did exactly what bobgay did. I felt the Champion was too noisy. I was even happier when the Yamaha 2400 ran my 15K A/C. Outside temperatures were not hot so it remains to be seen if it will run it when it heats up.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
Sorry about the triple reply. I kept getting a "Timed out" message so I hit the "Submit Reply" button three times before it took.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yep,

Don't recommend this if you need a gen. for close quarters Camping. I'll have mine in the back of the Truck for running the A/C if needed at our place in the Adirondacks, where we have acreage. I also might need it someday for charging the TV or the odd chance we should break down in 100+ deg. temps. and want to turn on some A/C or powering the 120V compressor.
Not a fan of generators in general, but hey, it was $299.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote