Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Which lock looks stronger?

Just for the sake of friendly argument which design looks stronger.
I know we have some engineers on this Forum and I would love to hear their opinions on these two designs,

My feelings are the clamp to the awning rafter looks much stronger on the model that tightens on the roller.
The model that has a locking pin looks easier to use but has a weaker looking attachement to the rafter. What do you guys think?
http://www.toys4rvs.com/as.htm

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...inglock010.jpg

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi D&D,

Years of work in structural Eng., tells me you won't go wrong with either. This problem is not all that common. Both of these will add enough of a locking feature to do the job of backing up the original design.

Go with what ever turns you on. There both simple designs and apear to be robust.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:06 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
either would be fine. we don't use any, and have never had a problem.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Don, I presonnaly like the latter of the two. They both look sound, but what I can see from the picture, the clamp type looks like you would have to climb a ladder to release and lock it. I could be wrong though, it's happened once or twice in my life, lol.

On Edit- I told you I've been wrong before, after looking closer I see how it locks down by turning the lower extension with the awning rod. I'll give mysel a quick boot to the head. Looks like they both will do the job well.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think mine is Purrrtier
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...inglock010.jpg
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Agreed Ozz, yours does look mo-better.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks for the replies and I agree that Ozz's wins in the looks and probably all around winner.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I guess I don't understand the point, I always use tie downs but the fact is when the wind comes up the best thing is to have the awning rolled in. When I was a kid I got up too many times helping dad bring the awning in at night when the wind came up. So now I always take mine in at night and if it starts getting windy. It only takes a minute or two. Like I said, I guess I don't understand what I'm missing???

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Mac, a few days ago there was a thread on here about wind getting under the awning with it rolled up while traveling. The factory ratcheting mechanism sometimes fails allowing the awning material to fill like a sail and unspool, tearing the stuff out of things. These extra locks are a security measure to stop the awning from unspooling. There may be a better explanation on the other thread, you can find it in the search area.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
MAC,

I believe these are for securing the roller when the awning is up to prevent the fabric from billowing and unwinding going down the highway. Never had it happen or seen it, but it must be possible.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:20 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

I guess I don't understand the point, I always use tie downs but the fact is when the wind comes up the best thing is to have the awning rolled in. When I was a kid I got up too many times helping dad bring the awning in at night when the wind came up. So now I always take mine in at night and if it starts getting windy. It only takes a minute or two. Like I said, I guess I don't understand what I'm missing???
mac
Mac,
Here is my original post on the locks:
Posted - Sep 04 2006 : 07:33:23 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am near to the end of my list of Mod's and additions, the awning lock should go on today, if everything goes according to plan.
The reason for an awning lock, you might ask?
Last year we did some traveling, lots of traveling.....
We were leaving Albuquerque, heading South to Tucson in a horrible wind, it was miserable. The Tumbleweeds were 20 feet in the air. I knew we were in trouble when we saw wind socks on the highway at the Canyon intersects. I told Sue, "We're not in Kansas anymore, Dorthy"!
A lady in an SUV from Texas was waving and pointing at us, I said man, they are really friendly around here, she was about the Third person to do that. The the Duh! moment came. I told Sue, I think something is falling off our rig, so we pulled over to find the Awning ripped and blowing all over the trailer's side.
I climbed up on top and started cutting it off with my Spyderco knife, while Sue was holding the awning remains, trying to keep it from beating me to death. We got it on the ground-in the air, all over, and stuffed it into the back of the Excursion.
Oh, I contacted Dometic- A&E, they had one shipped to Island RV Repair in South Padre, and we had it installed when we got there, N/C for the awning, only a service charge of $70.00 to the grouchy old fart service guy-owner.
Here's some pictures, and the awning lock, it looks pretty nifty.
Ozz
Awning lock
http://www.awninglock.com/
Torn awning:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/86bad725.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/a3b5be8d.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/c3e63071.jpg

Ozz
Old 09-17-2006, 02:36 AM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Well then, that makes things a little more understandable.

mac
Old 09-17-2006, 02:55 AM   #13
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
That clears things up a little!

mac
Old 09-17-2006, 03:13 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mac,
I dismissed the need for the awning lock until I was impacted by the awning industry's corner cutting, light duty gear system. I pulled the gear in the awning and found a light duty aluminum ratchet that has very little resistance to the reverse action, (actually the failing of the gear's teeth) that causes the unfurling. It is no wonder this happens quite frequently, and their willingness to replace a defective system with few questions asked.
Ozz
Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #15
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
I have the second one and found it easy to install and seems to work well. I can use the wand to operate it from the ground. Cheap insurance... Jack
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote