Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Paul's RV Park

Has anyone stayed at Paul's Rv Park in Brownsville, Texas? I've been looking at various sites in Brownsville and one of my friends told me they always look much nicer on the internet. We're looking for a place with close by things to do---including places to eat out. One thing that I see on Paul's RV site is that they have day bus tours to Mexico. I think that is the only way we would go there. Maybe there are better places in Brownsville or close by.......? Input needed-----our first attempt at this!

mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mfoss

one of my friends told me they always look much nicer on the internet.
You bet they do. A skilled web site designer can take the crumbiest. shabbyest and cheapest dump and make you believe it is the Taj Mahal. Hate to admit it but I've been there, done that.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
So it's best NOT to make a reservation for a park you have not been to or one that has not be recommended?? I hope we don't end up wandering from Wal Mart parking lot to Wal Mart parking lot looking for a spot and finding none------ha ha. Do you think a person can just take off and hope to find a nice or at least decent place for a couple of months just by chance? I see there is usually a modest cost for backing out of a reservation.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
mfoss: My sister stayed there once for about a month but didn't make any comments regarding the park. I know they stay there to meet up with friends on their way to their place in Mexico every year.
Why don't you consider coming over to McAllen/Mission area. It is about 60 miles west of Brownsville and a lot safer area to be in. The mexican side of the border is a lot friendlier and cleaner also. Progresso, Mexico is a place where many of us visit during the winter months. It is a place that hires it's own security force to ensure visitors are not abused. If you look back in newspaper archives around the Brownsville area it is not one of the safer areas. ie: Police chief assassinated. 6 prison guards stuffed in a trunk of a car, and the list goes on. I am sure others will confirm my post re the McAllen/Mission area.

If you can't play a sport....Be one.

Bill and Ann
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
2004 3670RL Big Sky
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
20K.Reece Hitch
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy Controller

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bill and Ann are right, plus there are a TON of MOC people in that area to have fun with!! Impromptu meals and campfires are harder to get to when ya gotta drive 90 miles! HAHA

Al and rarely use the internet for campground shopping, we rely on the old fashioned campground books, Woodalls and Trailer Life ones! In over 30 years we have only been seriously disappointed one time! They have number ratings for a reason, look at the numbers. And, yes, the one that seriously disppointed us was rated a lot higher than it deserved, and I wrote a long letter to the organization behind that rating and gave em you know what!

Have heard rumors that if the campground pays for advertising in the books that they get better ratings. I don't know if that is an urban legend or not. 30 years and only one real serious disappointment, is not too bad, eh??

Cheers, See ya in the RGV

Carol

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:08 AM   #6
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I really appreciate these comments. I absolutely don't want to end up in some place where I don't feel safe. I had seen where several stay at the Bentson Palms so I emailed them and the gal said the closest place to eat out was about 5 miles. That seems a bit far....The reason we came up with Brownsville in the first place was we know of two couples who always go there, the one couple liked it so well they ended up buying a home there. We don't know these people personally so don't know any of the details. I'm surprised to read Bill and Ann's comments about Progresso being better (than the border towns). It's good to hear from you seasoned travelers! You read these glowing reports put out by the chamber of commerce and everyone definitely puts their best foot forward. Brownsville is sounding more like Laredo! Thanks for mentioning the directories, Carol, I have a Trailer Life. The RGV is where we want to be and it would be fun to meet everyone! I wonder why I'm not getting the yorkie picture today...only a blank square with the red x.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:04 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
mfoss: I have a friend that goes to Brownsville every year also. One day, shortly after he bought a new car, I noticed him under the front of his car with a couple of pieces of steel and a welder. I asked him what he was doing. His reply......Are you ready for this? He said he was welding on a place to connect a heavy chain as he chains his car to a big tree at night when he is in Brownsville. Does that tell you something?

Bill and Ann
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
2004 3670RL Big Sky
20K.Reece Hitch
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy Controller

Old 09-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #8
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Bill and Ann, it sounds like a different life than I'm used to! Around here we leave for the day and the house is unlocked! It's just a whole different lifestyle. I just checked out the Llano Grande RV park. Very pretty looking but also HUGE and probably pretty expensive. The search continues! Marilyn
Old 09-01-2006, 05:30 AM   #9
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Mfoss: Marilyn: Carol and Al (Countryguy) will probably offer a comment on that park. I think they stayed there a few years ago. It was new then with not too much vegetation but I imagine it has changed. It looked like a nice place with big lots. Expand your search to Victoria Palms RV Park in Weslaco. There is a couple from MOC (Bob and Mary Kay) that stay there every year. It is a large park also but close to the big flea market. Go to the Regional MOC Rio Grande section and under RGV directory is a listing of where we all stay. It will give you an idea for an RV park in the valley.

Bill and Ann
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
2004 3670RL Big Sky
20K.Reece Hitch
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy Controller

Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have stayed in Victoria Palms and Llano Grande, they are sister parks. My fav was Victoria Palms. It is a personal thing, I just liked it better. That said, they both have older sections, with VERY small sites and a lot of permanents, so you would want the newer sections, etc. Both are pricy, but give you SOOOOOOOOOOOO many things for your $$. VP has the most glorious swimming pool!! And, a hot tub and a therapy tub. They have so many activities going on you cannot believe it, free cable, free wifi or cable. Each place has it's own stuff, and you have to check out what they are offering this year.

As far as Bentsen Palms, I am not sure bout that 5 miles to the closest place to eat, but, we are down at the end of the road right by the state park, and you do have to get out and about to go eat. But, let me tell you, if you once go to Pepes on the River, you will never complain about how far you might have to go out to eat! And, that is just the best of them. Now if you want to go out to eat every day, it might be a problem.

The great thing about the Valley is that you can pay more for a place and get a resort, or you can pay a lot less and get a nice campground. We have met some that take the cheapest place they can find, cause they don't care about activities or swimming or stuff like that, they want to party and shop, shop and party. It works for them.

We loved VP, but can stay at Bentsen Palms for 3 months, for about the same or less than 2 at VP and Llano Grande. That said, as much as we enjoyed BP and we DID!! it does not have quite the luxury resort feel that VP and LG have. But it does have a great MOC family, anywhere from 8 to 10 of us at any time, and we did have a great time together!!

As far as safety and such, I believe it was in 2005 that they advised us to use Progreso and stay out of Renosa (that is not spelled right) and not to cross at Brownsville, they had a LOT of drug problems and drug wars going on. It was not that way in 2004. Al and I went over at Renosa and at Brownsville on a tour in 2004, and have to say, we prefer Progreso. You walk over, spend a few hours of as Bill describes, MOC time, HA HA HA, and have a great meal, do some fun shopping, bartering, etc. And, then you walk back across the bridge, thru customs and back to your vehicle. Some ride bikes over!

THe red X probably means that tinypics is having trouble????

Carol
Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
Quote:

Bill and Ann, it sounds like a different life than I'm used to! Around here we leave for the day and the house is unlocked! It's just a whole different lifestyle. I just checked out the Llano Grande RV park. Very pretty looking but also HUGE and probably pretty expensive. The search continues! Marilyn
Marilyn,There is a small park 4 Miles north of Mercedes that is a nice quite place.I don't know if you golf any or not but it has a nice 3 par golf corse also has a pool and hot tub.There are about 92 spaces about half park models and real friendly people.I stayed there 4 winters but am going to Az now.The name of the part is La Floresta Rv Park.

2006 Montana 3670RL pulled with 2003 Ford F350 Duelly 7.3 turbo diesel
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Very interesting, Carol! Since this is our "first" I wonder what it is that I want??? Don't want to squished in, don't want to have to cook all the time (Wayne does not cook so that leaves me if we are home). We'll have Tasha our 2 1/2 yr. old Lhasa-poo along so time away will be measured in a few hours. I guess that's why I'd like things to see and do close by. It might be fun to learn golf. I played some years ago but need lessons badly! I did read the RGV section that Bill and Anne suggested. It sounds like such fun and alot of anticipation getting together with all those who you've met who come back each year! The flea market by Victoria Palms would be something I'd really enjoy. By the way what is MOB---mind your own business? That would probably be right----don't make eye contact as it's threatening.......? I'm getting soooooo anxious to do something different!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Texdeano, I'll check that one out, too. Here you are from Texas and going to Arizona and probably wondering why we are all flocking to Texas!!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
HAHA, good ole typo, MOB should have been MOC!! Sorry! HA HA HA

Besides golf, there is tennis, biking, dancing, card and game playing, oh, yeaaa, that Mexican Train dominos game that everyone is bonco over, picking sessions, blue grass, music, entertainment, crafts, woodshops for those that are interested (in parks that offer same). Goodness, you don't have to get bored unless you want to. Many of the parks have small libraries, some offer computer rooms. Spanish classes, tours you can pay for (beware, some of these take ALL day plus, 13 hours some of em, bad for the dogs unless you have a sitter or walker or something).

I think there was a link somewhere to write and ask for brochures from the campgrounds. People that did got 10 or 15 of em.

Best thing, is if you choose a campground that does not suit, next year you can try another!

Carol
Old 09-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #15
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
Quote:

Texdeano, I'll check that one out, too. Here you are from Texas and going to Arizona and probably wondering why we are all flocking to Texas!!
I know what you mean,last year was the first year to go to AZ and this year will be our last then back to TX.We travel with four, sometimes 5 other couples and some of them wanted to try Az.

2006 Montana 3670RL pulled with 2003 Ford F350 Duelly 7.3 turbo diesel
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #16
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Well, my interpretation of MOB was good for a laugh for me several times yesterday as I was painting away! I had even thought I should try and find that site that lists some of the definitions but I was too lazy so took a guess....never occured to me it was a typo!! I checked out Victoria Palms. It sounds great until you come to find out that you have to reserve for four months for the bigger sites! We won't be there. I am wondering this in regards to dogs. Some places have "dog areas" with a place to put the waste. What about #1? Is it okay for them to use a grassy place just out side the camper? Would hate to have to go a distance before bedtime. Marilyn
Old 09-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Marilyn,

My kids go pee around the campsite, yep. In their play pen usually (for the dog literate, that is a X-pen). We don't always walk our kids in campgrounds, as we have been attacked and chased in just about every campground we have stayed at in over 30 years of camping. If you ever hear my ranting about dogs off leash, etc, now, you kinda have an idea why I am like that.

Anyway, back to eatting out. Even at Victoria Palms, we had to drive several miles to find places to eat. Ditto for Llano Grande. So, 5 miles to a place for dinner, while I think is a little overstated, would not surprise me. Some of the places, like VP, for example, do have a restaurant on the grounds, but, the fare is a limited choice, where as you can go down 81 a piece and eat at a Golden Corral and have mega choices.

Four months, eh?? Well, new rule I guess, was not that way when we were there. But, it is becoming more popular and people tend to go back to a park they like an feel comfortable in. They had talked about going to a one dog per unit rule too, as they were having some problems with dogs, funny thing, the problems we saw were with full time resident's dogs. Anyway, the rules for campgrounds do change frequently.

But, there are something like 600 campgrounds in the RGV, not just VP, Llano Grande, and Bentsen Palms Village, and there are something like 6000 to 10000 units per year that come to the Valley, and the majority of those people are pretty happy during their stay there! (My numbers may be off, but there are a LOT of campgrounds and a LOT of Winter Texans!!)

I would guess that with fuel prices as high as they are that some people will change their minds and stay in the north this year. Hear rumors of that happening in Arizona. That might have some effect on the reservations and available campsites. Time will tell.

Carol