Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2006, 05:15 AM   #1
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Sunshades

I did a search on this subject, but the results were somewhat overwhelming, so I decided to just ask about where folks purchased the kind of sunscreens that snap on around the windows. It seems to me that, quite some time ago, there was a discussion on this topic.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Several of my friends have purchased those at Quartzsite. There are several vendors there who will make them for you on a custom basis. Hope that helps.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Vicki, Star at BPV had some very nice ones on her new 3500. They were made and installed by a couple in the RGV who do this as a living. You might try asking Star how they are liking them.(I have her e-mail address, if you need it send me a PM)

We may look into them this winter for our rear window. We installed window awnings on all our other windows, and are quite pleased with how well they shade the sun from the window.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Vicki,
Try checking the RV Toy Store. www.rvtoystore.com They carry Sunguard window shades.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Vicki: Do you mean the sunshade like we have on our rear window? We have also just got one that goes on the inside of the windows. We installed in on our kitchen window. It is a roller blind made of the sunshade material.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
My initial thinking was one that snaps on on the outside. Thanks Dave, I'll check out that link.

I spent a great deal of time today searching the Internet for this and some other stuff I want for the new rig but I should probably just wait until we have it before I start doing any serious looking/shopping. I tend to get ahead of myself sometimes ...
Old 07-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Vicki,
I am going to have the roll up sunshade installed on my rear window one of these days. I am also going to have the the window awnings put on the dining room, sofa and computer desk windows, hopefully will have that done this coming spring when the coach comes out of the garage from winter. I have picked Carefree of Colorado for the rear window, and am going to use A&E on the side window awnings, A&E will match the main awning. Congrats on your new 3400RL, you are going to love it!!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:27 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Dave: That's the way to go for the rear window. Ours is the Carefree on the rear window. We also went with the Carefree on the roller blind inside the coach on the kitchen window.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:29 AM   #9
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Vicki: Make the installation of a Carefree sunshade on the rear window as part of your deal. That's how we got ours installed @ n/c.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:36 AM   #10
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Dave, we want to add the side awnings as well. They'll just have to wait a bit for the budget to recover from the new Montana and all the new stuff I'm going to want to get to put inside. Where will you be going to have your rear screen installed? If you don't mind my asking, would you mind sending me a pm with the estimated cost?

Bill, unfortunately our deal is signed and sealed so that is not an option.

We're still researching and would like to know how those with the snap-on shades feel about theirs ... any drawbacks or advantages over the roll-up type?

Again, thanks all for the input. I may not be back online until next week sometime, but I will definitely be getting back to this.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #11
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Vicki, there was a discussion on this subject a while ago. We will just add our two cents again. We had a snap on sunscreen made and installed with marine snaps to the large window of our current Montana. It does save the A/C somewhat when the rear is oriented south into the sun. It was installed by a company the came around to the RV parks in the Orlando FL area. The word of advice that was given to me was never fold it up. Role it up and store it behind your sofa. The folds are visable through the window when it is up. By rolling it up, you never have that problem. Ours is going on three years of use and it still looks good. The marine snaps that they installed have never rusted and they still look good.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:45 AM   #12
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Thanks, Ken. I remember the discussion well, I just couldn't find it. Thanks for your input...gave us something more to think about.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #13
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Vicki: It is a matter of needs and wants.
With the snap on shade: If you WANT the screen on you NEED a place to store it and a ladder to put it on and take it off.
With the rollup shade: If you NEED the screen down I don't WANT to get on a ladder to use it or a place to store it when I don't NEED it anymore.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:24 AM   #14
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Good points, Bill. I'm guessing Steve will have the final say on which way we go with this since he's the one who'll be doing the up-and-down-the-ladder thing.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #15
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Vicki, we had sunshades made in Yuma for all of our windows, and they have worked out really well. For a time we kept the big one on the back window and even traveled with it. Ours came with a carrying bag to roll them up and store. Bob keeps them in the front locker. We are now in Oklahoma where it is 107 degrees and we're in full sun all day. So, we bought some 1/4" Dow polystyrene blue insulation foam, cut it to fit each window and put in under the sunscreens. It makes about a 10 to 12 degree difference inside. It feels like being in a blue lagoon in here, but it is cooler!! When we were in Chicago for the two winters we put the plastic wrap on each window and covered it with the sunscreens. That gave good winter insulation. We marked ours with a Sharpie in the lower left corner as to which window it belonged and that also helps us put them on right side up. They are easy and quick to use and you can put them on whatever windows you need. Hope this helps.
Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote