Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #21
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
From the other post on this subject (Closet Dimensions W/D), the closet width is 24"...Kenmore says the 88732 is 24"...be a tight fit.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #22
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
My measurement is actually 24 1/2 and the actual measurement of the kenmore 23?. They say the depth is 27 1'4 but is actually 26 1/2. I will see ifit fits if not sears will take back.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #23
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Pud 2 we have a Slendie in our '06 3500. You mentioned you would need to use a lot of extra chemicals as the washer/dryer empties in black tank. Carol (Country Guy) last year gave the following recipe for tank cleaner, without chemicals and we've been using since with no odors.2 cups water softner (Calgon or other, I have used Oxy clean and 20 Mule team borax) to 1 gal hot water, plus 1 cup laundry det.
Mary
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #24
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
OOPS my mistake. we have '05

Mary
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #25
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
we have the 3400 with the closet at the door. we installed a maytag washer and a GE dryer model numbers are dryer DSKS333E. and the washer is maqh2400AWW. these units fit perfect in the closet. the only thing you will have to do is either build soe sort of spacer or buy it, to put between the two units as they will not stack together because of the water supply and electri supply lines. i made my own, not the prettiest but it works. the hardest part of the whole installation if you are doing yourself is the dryer vent. i did my own and was not hard, but it is scary when you first drill the hole in the side of your home.
pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:47 AM   #26
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Mary,

I have used the recipe and not even had hot water available. We even sat at the lake for 13 days with no hookups, no chemicals. Dumped some of the Calgon (not even the soap) in the tanks after dumping for the ride home. Been out there in the drive, on black top, for another couple of weeks, and it has been hot, and so far, no bad odors.

I think I have another jug of chemicals here somewhere, not sure I will ever use em.

Carol

On edit: OHHH, I rarely dump the soap down the gray tanks, as they usually have enough soap! But, I do add soap to the black tank here and there.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #27
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
How is this recipe working for the paper break down?
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #28
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
If you use septic friendly paper it will break down anyway. You don't need to buy the expensive stuff from CW. A lot of the TP available in stores is septic friendly. Put a sheet in a glass of water and shake. It should break up.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #29
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
The other partial answer to this paper situation is to not put so much in the toilet. OK, here we go, said it before, try to be nicey as possible, ewww [D:]

Put all gently used paper in a trash can NOT in the toilet. The other, more icky paper, goes in the toilet.

Use enough water when flushing to be sure that there is enough that it will disolve the paper.

I'm with Sue, no RV paper for me, too expensive and why use anything more than what can be used in a septic system??

To parity a popular commercial:

Less paper, More water!

The recipe works just fine, with less paper, more water. Actually, many times when we are sitting on full hookup sites, I don't even use the recipe. Just a good flush once a week with that back flush system. Went 3 months in Texas, no chemicals, no recipe, no nothing. When we left there I did put a bit of Calgon in the tanks.

Carol

Carol

Old 07-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Carol, can you be more specific on that Calgon? I know it's been posted before, but is the the powder or liquid? And how much - volume, not cost...? And where are you finding that stuff at?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #31
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Calgon, for LAUNDRY, water softener, I prefer the liquid, that is a personal preference, either liquid or dry will work.

As Mary pointed out, you can use other brands of water softeners.

Found usually, in LAUNDRY AISLE of grocery store.

This is NOT bath stuff!!

I use the liquid and dump a about 3/4 of a cap in at a time, followed by a couple of gallons of water to slosh the Calgon around while we are running down the road.

Most effective, when you are MOVING around, like in running from Michigan to Florida, or campground to campground. That sloshing movement is what is so helpful.

Now, if your washing machine dumps into the black tank, you should have a clean tank, but remember to open that dump valve BEFORE you do the laundry.

If I had a washer, and IF it dumped into the black tank, I don't think I would worry bout anything but scum collecting on the sides of the tank, like in the gray tanks. That is where the Calgon comes in, it rinses off that scum.

There have been suggestions of using a bag or two of ice cubes, dumping in just before you leave camp, I would not waste good ice cubes that way, but that is OUR take on that system. If it works for you, then okkkkk. But, you cannot get ice into the gray tanks and that is where the most soap scum is gonna be. And, if you think that gray water soap scum does not smell, well, in our experience, it can have a nasty stink too.

Ole Carol (and Al) are kinda lazy, if you have not figured that out already . Calgon is easy, fairly easy to find to purchase, simple, and not too expensive, considering how long it lasts. It seems to be doing a good job for us, and specifically is useful for soap scum on the insides of the waste tanks.

There, that is more than you bargained on hearing! HA HA HA

Cheers, and happy laundry day and happy dumping!!

Carol
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #32
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Carol
Isn't "happy dumping" kind of a oxymoron? LOL
Happy trails..........................
Old 07-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #33
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sue, you said it, you can spell it (or at least it looks like it is spelled correctly! HA HA), and yep, I think I would agree

Or, a very bad case of black (ewwwwwwwwwwww) humor!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #34
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Now we are getting silly LOL! Guess we are seeing the dark side of you!
Happy trails........................
Old 07-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Carol! Exactly the info I was looking for.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #36
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
In reply to the washer/dryer questions.....We just had ours installed by the dealer. Both made by Whirlpool. The washer is a front loader and has a spin speed of 1200 rpm. The model # is LHW0050PQ. The dryer is LDR3822PQ1. They fit great, and we can still use the small shelf at the top of the closet. The service crew added a piece of wood so that nothing would fall behind the pair.
We have an 06 3400RL, and the washer has it's own drain and goes directly into the sewer, not into either tank.

Also a note..When the service person stepped on the back ladder to do some work on the roof, the whole bottom part of the ladder broke. Luckily, he was only on the second rung.
therebnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #37
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
You are welcome Dave,

Gene & Shirley, there is another thread going on right now bout that ladder thing! I would assume that since they broke it, the dealer fixed it??

Sue, Dark side has always been there, I try to reign it in whenever possible, but ya gotta have a good case of it to participate in that ole family research. If you cannot see the irony and sick humor, and if you get upset by a black sheep now and then in your families, you better stay with quilting and embroidery! Personally, I would rather research a black sheep than a ole boring sweet ancestor any time! I even got to research Black Beard the Pirate one time. Can't prove the family story, but it sure was a fun subject! HA HA
Old 07-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #38
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Ours was prewired in the front closet and we bought the stack washer/dryer when we bought the trailer. It is a Kenmore unit and we have been happy with it. Both the washer and dryer are very quiet. We can only run one at a time. But, as I complained before, I found out the hard way about the unit being plumbed through the black tank when it backed up in the toliet on my first time using it. We were told when we called the dealer that they sometimes do that at the factory. They said they could change it but they would have to have it for a day or day and a half. We are fulltimers and not located close to the dealer so decided to just live with it. We thought maybe they do this was done that way to help clean the tank. Don't know. Anyway, my answer to the problem of a smaller tank is to let it fill once while I am washing and then to leave the tank open until I am finished with all loads. It does mean that I have to be alert on that first load.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:35 AM   #39
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Charlotte

I am not sure I am reading your post correctly, as I am only on my first cup of java this AM.

But, the black tank is volume wise the same size as both the gray tanks. All the waste tanks are 38 gallons, on the Montana. Not real sure on the Mountaineer, etc. You don't state your rig type, so I am trying to CM(you know what).

I'll bet you have a very clean black tank!

Cheers

Carol
Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 AM   #40
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Carol, you are not doing bad on your first cup. I didn't understand her "smaller" tank comment either. Plus I'm wondering why they can only run one at a time. Having both going is suppose to be the advantage of the stack over the combo. We have two plugs but since we have the combo, only use one. We have a strip running into the basement with the other plug.
Happy trails.....................