Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Truck Wash for our 5er's

Anyone have any thoughts pro or con on using a commercial truck stop truck and trailer automatic wash with brushes and high pressure water jets on our Montys?

At a truck stop near us, we can get the truck and trailer washed for $15 plus $1/foot for the 5er. For $55 plus tip, I would rather have it washed here, frequently, and then a couple of times a year do the major wash and wax.

Thanks,

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We run the school buses through the truck wash and I would say it is a bit to powerful for the camper.There is one with the high doors that does not have the hi power wash or brushes it uses the same powewr wash as the auto side and although I have not done it yet I think that would work ok..We have a power washer here at the house and have to watch the pressure setting or we would damage the camper
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
The words HIGH PRESSURE = LOST DECALS???? and would scare us off.

By doing a search (of the archives, if necessary) you will find some MOC members report success with power washers, but they are VERY careful, using the lowest settings possible. (and they will correct me if I am wrong! )

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I've used Blue Beacon a couple of times - not automatic. They have some folks with long wands - can't get the top. They've done good both times. Since then, there have been a couple of threads here where most folks vote against it because of the decals.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Have you folks ever seen some of the custom graphics on some of the Owner/Operator's 18 wheelers?? Some of these rigs are works of art and in most cases they are the same type graphics we have on our Monty's. I have seen these same O/O's take their works of art through these same truck washes where they use the hi pressure wands without a problem. These guys know what they are doing and if I could ever find one of these truck washes that didn't have 15 to 20 trucks waiting in line I would not hesitate taking my Monty through.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I use Danny's truck wash in Phoenix (next to Flying J at 67th ave and I-10. They have brushes but don't use them on the top due to the vents etc. There is a scaffold over the top of the rig from which they hand prush the top. They do a good job.

On the road, I have noticed some wash places welcome RV's but others do not. Also, in the parks in Mexico it is typically $1/ft for hand wash AND wax. They really dis a nice job.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We tried a truck washing facility (49er Truck Stop) in Sacramento, CA and we don't recommend a truck wash for the Montana. The water pressure was too high and they didn't do a decent job either as it was more of a quick in 'n out. It's okay for those large trucks, it just didn't work well for the Montana.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:59 AM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I use the over the road truck washes,when I am close to one, and the Mountaineer is real dirty. I have one at the I75 exit and M81 exit close to me in Mich. They do a good job . These folks fully understand about the decals.They gave out discount coupons at a couple of RV shows. I transport rvs part time and sometimes I have to get the rv washed before delivery, as requested by the dealer. Most of the time they send me to a truck wash. I am in line with tractor trailers,motor homes and other trailers. I have never had a decal issue. I really like the one on 70 in Longmont, CO. I transport to a lot of dealer in that area. They have a three bay wash. I transport to that area a lot because the wife gets to visit some of the grandchildern who live by Denver, when we finish the delivery.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote