Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Trailer Length in Campgrounds

Hi. New guy here. Does anyone have information on the maximum length 5er for various campgrounds (state, federal, etc.)? We don't want to be excluded from too many locations because our rig is too long.
(Also, do they generally use the length on the tag by the door or is it from the TV to the end of the trailer?)
Thanks for any input.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Hi Larry,
Welcome to The MOC forum.
When calling the campground for reservations let them know it’s a 5er and the true length of the trailer. Also tell them how many slides and awnings you have. For some of the old campgrounds here on the east coast I add a foot or two. They have a tendency to try to put 10 gallons in an 8 gallon spot.

Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Larry
There are many state and federal CG we are eliminated from with a Montana because they have a 28' rule and no slides. But there are also many that can accomodate the longer units. With our 3400, we always mention we have slides on both sides. We use the actual length so we don't have to worry about arriving somewhere only to be turn away because we won't fit. We have also found that many of the campgrounds with the shorter length requirement are on roads that would be difficult to drive on with the Monty. Hairpin curves, etc.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Larry, welcome to the forum. As as rule the older parks are not set up for large 5th wheels like a
Montana. So it will save you a lot of headaches to call ahead and ask about size of lots.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Campground books frequently state maximum length and width allowed, or length and width of sites. That said, those books don't always list state, county, or provincial parks. And, yes, some of the campgrounds were built for smaller units than our beloved Montana's. Some of them were built so long ago that we could not get our 30 TT in them, and we bought that in 1989.

Measure YOUR unit, do not take the literature measurements, get out a rule and do it yourself. Most of us find that our units are 1 to 4 feet longer than what Keystone reports length to be. Not sure how they measure, but our contention is we have to get the nose in the site and we have to get the ladder in the site and everything in between. For us that is just about 37 foot. Therefore, we cannot fit into a 34 foot site!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have found there are some campgrounds that cannot handle my 3400RL, including most of the National Park campgrounds that I have read about. Like the others, I always let the campground know I am 39' long and have 3 slides on one side and 1 super slide on the other, and I need a nice wide space. They can tell you right there on the phone if they can handle your rig or not. I am with Carol, if possible go out and measure your specific coach. Keystone stated that my 3400RL is 37' long and in actual measurement it comes out to 39' 4".
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:23 AM   #7
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We frequently stay in a Corps of Engineers campground near Atlanta to visit our daughter. Our favorite site is one described on their website as "maximum length 27 feet". Why the restriction exists I don't know, but we regularly put a 35' fifth wheel in there with no problem. However, I sure wouldn't try that if I wasn't familiar with the site.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:27 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our 37 foot Montana has rarely been the reason for a change in camping plans, even during our extended trip to Alaska last year. We did have trouble in a couple of Provincial Parks and had to find a different site. But most of the rigs in Canada and Alaska are shorter than ours. The popular camping books and camping reservation sites on the internet usually give you approved lengths of trailers or you can inquire before you arrive. If you haven't purchased a Montana yet, I wouldn't let the length of the unit deter you from buying the floorplan that you like. It's almost always possible to find a campground where the long Montanas will fit.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Thank you for the various ways of answering my question/concern.
I'm just getting started here and look forward to maybe, someday, being able to return the favors.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think it depends on the state and the age of the campground. In Kansas we never had a problem (at 36 feet) getting into any state or corp of engineers park. In California many of the state parks we don't fit.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:26 AM   #11
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Oregon state parks have the length of the site listed on the park map you can see online. There are even notes about some sites if they are difficult to get into.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote