Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #21
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
Bob.
I fully agree with you concerning the stability of these jacks.The ones that I took off are made the same way but much lighter.I have had two fifth wheels and a regular pull behind,both of those had the screw jacks and the moved a lot more than this one does.
Now as far as twisting the frame,some state that it will twist it with the new style hitch I am using and it will twist with a goose neck type hitch.Over the past year and a half I have loged about 18 to 20 thousand miles on this fifthwheel and never once have I woried about the frame twisting.I have had it all over the Poconos,catskills and adarondaks and the Green Mountains of Vt.It has covered Ky.Wv.Oh.Fl.Sc.Nc.Ga.and In.It's been on every type of road to include ice and snow for 125 miles at 6 degrees.I haven't and don' babby this unit,I pull it where I want it to go and don't worry about the frame twisting. I don't delibertly abuse it nor do I babby it, I use it for what I bought it for and that was to travel and it's not always on good rd. So use your unit and enjoy it that's what you bought it for, Happy Travels.

Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #22
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Broome, I bought the scissors jacks similar to what you have to replace the stabilizer ones on the back of the trailer. After I heard about bending the old ones straight, I never installed the scissors ones. I too had heard about Steve installing them behind the wheels. My question to you and Steve is. Do they get a lot of abuse from road debris and water from wet roads?
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #23
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Fordzilla, to answer that simply is no, i have had no issues. Now i do lube them twice a year with WD-40 once they are extended out I spray the screw bolt as well as all pivot points. No issues and they do help a good bit.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:38 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, our scissor jacks are mounted right behind the rear wheels so they do get the spray, mud, etc. But they seem nonetheless for wear. When I wash the Montana I try to remember to spray the jacks. I've lubed them twice in however long they've been back there. I think that's about 18 months and probably 15,000 miles or so.

Sometimes when we overnight we do not put the scissor jacks down. That's when we really notice and appreciate how much these jacks help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:26 PM   #25
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Thanks Steve, and Broome. I am going to mount them hopefully this weekend. These longer trailers sure are not as easy to stabilize as the smaller one I had before.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:03 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One thing to watch for is whether the screw on the jack will hit the galley tank dump pipe. I didn't think about that until after installation. It just rubbed the pipe but was beginning to create a notch in the dump pipe. After a little experimenting I figured I could cut off about 3/4 inch from the end of the screw and it would clear the pipe without possibility of the screw coming out when moving the jacks. I could not go more than 3/4 inch. But it was enough.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:47 AM   #27
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I had same issues but mine was for the washer/dyer drain line to the dump value. After I had went through the aches and pains of lying on my back drilling the holes through he frame to install did I notice when putting the driver side one down it hi the drain pipe. So i just rerouted the drain pipe about 4" with two 45 degree angle sections and short piece of pipe works fine. The extra jacks do help out good bit, got that tip from Steve.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #28
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Thanks Steve and Broome, I have a brand new pair of jacks in a box and have been wondering what to do with them. Broome, about how far back of the rear wheel do you have them mounted?
Thanks
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:17 AM   #29
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
About 18 inches or so.