Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dual battery box revisited

Before anyone runs out to buy a dual 6-volt battery box, here are some things to consider:

1. Even though the 12-volt battery box is near and partially under the hydrolic pump platform making it awkward to replace or service, dealing with the dual 6-volt box is more difficult.

2. The dual box must be loaded into the front bay to the left of pump and then slid under the platform to roughly the same position as the old box.

3. There may be some fasteners protruding from the floor of the bay with which to contend. I had to reposition the battery's ground cable.

4. When in position, there is no room to load the batteries, so you must load both the heavier 6-volt batteries, box and all into the bay and slide the box into position.

5. There is just enough room to attach the box cover which is secured by threaded knobs. It fits very nicely. This means doing a visual inspection of the installed batteries is very difficult when the box is in position under the pump platform.

6. If you have, or intend, to installed a nice wire shelf to the left and on the same plane as the pump platform (like the new Montanas), be sure to make it removable to facilitate servicing and/or replacing your batteries.

7. The box will have to be altered after you get it. holes for the bottom drain and the top vent will need to be cut and (if you choose) couplings will need to be epoxied to the case at those sites.

Conclusion: You have to be convinced the transition to dual 6-volt golf cart batteries is worth the effort. The box, itself, is far superior to the OEM boxes in the units. An alternative may be to install the box in an area of the bay with better access, but I didn't want to give up the space.

I purchased my box from another MOC member who had one more than he needed. The box I have is manufactured by Blue Sea Systems. You can order directly from them at www.bluesea.com. It is item #4021.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
This is probably the most inexpensive place

http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufac...e_sea/4021.htm

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also added a second Battery box and battery in our new Montana. we stayed with the 12 volt batteries and ran them through a marine battery switch where I can switch from one battery to the other or turn the whole thing off. We purchased a closed battery box with vent from an rv dealer off the internet for $38.00 shipped. I connected the vents together with a T so they are both vented. There is room for both batteries below the hydrolic pump.
Ken And Velda Taylor
2550 3475 Montana
2000 Ford f-350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Ia a dual battery setup an option for Montana?
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
My 1999 was delivered from the dealer with two 12v batteries, but I notice that a lot of owners say theirs was delivered with only one. I'm thinking it may be up to the dealer and not the factory.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ours came with dual batteries. Don't think it was a dealer thing because our dealer did not seem like the type that would give you anything.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Our 3670 came with dual batteries. The second one was installed by the dealer. I requested it when we were specing out the unit and it was included, according to the dealer, at no charge. Must be my good looks or our mean dog. I know I paid for it some where. It is just not a seperate entry on the list.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:33 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
It seems like a long time ago that I asked my first question on this forum: "Installing a second battery". I got the very help I needed and am very happy with the installation I have made on our 2955RL. Sure, it is a tight fit, but I think it is entirely worth the effort. If anyone is considering this installation using the "Blue Sea Dual Golf Cart Battery Box", you might want to review these notes I prepared for my friend, Stiles:

http://dw4u.net/box.doc

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I intended to include this photo of the installation:

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Montanas are delivered to the dealers without batteries and without propane bottles. So maybe it is a dealer option?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote