Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Swapping out anodes didn't work

I have swapped out anodes every 4 to 6 months since we got the 08 Big Sky. Today I was flushing tanks and noticed water between the wheels on the driver side. It was dripping from below the water heater. I went inside and looked through the old vacuum door and there was a puddle below the heater. I checked the fittings and they were dry. I noticed that there was rust and water between the tank and the insulation. I went outside and drained the heater after turning off the electricity and the gas. I checked the anode and it was lightly pitted. I flushed the tank and unlike the usual flush I got RUST instead of white cheese. Thankfully I have the Good Sam Extended warranty and a new heater should be here Thursday. Soooo even if you replace the anodes faithfully you can still end up with a hole in the tank. The city AND the well water in southern Nevada and most of AZ is the most alkali water in the country. Since we have been here during the winters (3 yrs) we have seen a dozen heaters being replaced just here at the range. Our softener has kept it at bay for awhile but unless you can figure out a method of countering the effects of the alkali the tanks will eventually leak...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:43 AM   #2
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
One of the trailers in the RV Park we are in, had not been checked in over three years. I shut it off and pulled the Rod. So built up with mineral, I could hardly get it out of the Heater. I just happen to carry a new one with me. Since the next part place is 24 miles a way, I used mine and she will pay for a new one to replace it. I flushed it out and installed the new Rod. So far it is working fine, will keep a close eye on it now that you posted this. Thanks.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yup, even the softeners can't totally compete with really bad water.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote