Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Black Tank replacement

Last winter in Brownsville TX I found out (smell) I had a leaking black tank. An RV repair facility put a patch on it. That stop the leak for a while but it is now leaking again.
So I pick up a new tank today and plan on doing the work myself. I would appreciate any advice, hints, what to do/not to do in regards to removing and installing the new tank.
Thank you.

Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Jacques, what happened to the repair? Did it fail or do you just want to have a new tank installed?

I can't offer any info on the procedure but I will watch and hope that it goes well for you.

Say "Hey" to Shirley.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
The repairs were done using "internabond" tape. It held good till we got back home. I see no need to waste more time and money trying to patch it up again. The new tank cost me $174.00 cdn including taxes plus $90.00 for shipping a lot cheaper than I expected.
Will let you know how the install went.
Say hello to Audrey

Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Jacques,
Replaced our a couple of years ago on a 3400 RL.
You need to get flex couplings, for each one of the pipes, that is the rubber couplings with hose clamps on each end.
You need for the top of the tank two rubber inserts, the pipes slide into the inserts, the pipe size of the vent and drain pipe, the tank does not come with the fittings already in the tank.
Short lengths of the pipe for the drain outlet, toilet in and drain line.
Take the toilet out and remove the screws that hold it into the floor.
You will cut the toilet drain pipe about 6" above the storage compartment floor and the vent pipe, I think I removed the valve from the tank.
On the bottom, there is one of the hangers that is welded to the frame and the other is held by bolts.
Have some help removing the tank as it will be heavy from the wasted stuck to the bottom.
Measure the length of the pipes on the old tank, then add a few inches
where it will go into the tank in the.
Just take your time and plan, look at it and plan again.
Good Luck
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Thank you so much for the info.
Will take a long look then another one before I remove anything. Will even take before pictures just in case. I am not looking forward to the job but am planning on replacing the tank next week. Will post the results.
Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yes, pics will be good for us to see how its done...good luck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Amps

The repairs were done using "internabond" tape. It held good till we got back home. I see no need to waste more time and money trying to patch it up again. The new tank cost me $174.00 cdn including taxes plus $90.00 for shipping a lot cheaper than I expected.
Will let you know how the install went.
Say hello to Audrey

Amps, I hate to say it but I think your dealer made a right handsome profit off that tank. I know it's a lot cheaper than one would expect. However, last November we ordered a new black tank from our Kansas City dealer. He got it through Keystone. We paid $136 and change, including shipping and sales tax.

However, I paid a whole lot more for installation labor (a mobile service) than you will.

One possible tip. The mobile service spread a large plastic sheet under the rig before they started removing the old tank. The mess that occurs from removing a black tank was caught by the plastic sheet and not the ground or concrete pad. When done they just pulled out that sheet, rolled it up and put it into a dumpster. No mess to clean up on the ground.

They also had to cut the downpipe from toilet to tank where it goes through the basement. They used a rubber union with clamps when putting it all back together. I'm surprised they had to cut the pipe so check it out before cutting.

They also told me the black tank flush unit is epoxied into the tank. So be sure that's properly set and leak proof.

I don't know if any of this will help. I didn't watch much. The high temperature for the two days they were there were 27 on one day and 22 on the other. I spent most of that time indoors.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Thank you for the reminder to use a plastic sheet. I am already planning on using rubber unions for ease of use and to provide some flexibility in the pipes.
As for the price. Well when our dollar goes up prices do go down eventually but it takes a long time so I was probably charged 20 to 30% exchange on the dollar. UPS also is a high price shipper that I do not like to use but had no choice. Their broker fees are way up there.
Cheers
Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Amps, I'm sorry. It was my mistake. I totally missed that you were talking Canadian dollars. I got too focused on the numbers. Sorry.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Depending on where the leak was(top or bottom) you might think about adding some strap supports in at least two spots under the new tank. By all means have some help with you, our service guy broke his forearm when they slid the old tank out when it dropped and got his arm between the frame and top lip of the tank. Good Luck and remember measure twice, cut once... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Well it took a while to get going but the tank replacement is complete. It is over a week now and after 2 flushes no leak so hoping for the best.
The work took about 5 hours. The biggest problem was to take the old tank out. It sits on the frame with the floor on top of it. After cutting the toilet pipe and vent pipe flush with the floor you still have 3/4 inch of pipe left which prevents you from sliding the tank out. So I used a gig saw to cut away the pipes then I could slide it out. These are NOT set up for easy replacement.
My concern is that the black and gray tank sit side by side, the valves are connected directly onto the tanks with a Y in between. This does not allow for the use of flex couplings, nor the use of ABS glue to secure the valve into the black tank. Could only glue it on the outside.
Here are some pictures.

The old and leaking tank (look at the internabond tape):

, ,

Cutting away old tank connections, sealing old tank.

, ,

Preparing new tank, connecting new tank using flex couplings

, , , ,

The finished product:

Hope these pictures give you a better look at what is involved when changing a tank.
If you have any questions I will gladly answer them.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Good looking repair. But that's why I get someone else to do it. I'd get too frustrated, not to mention sweaty and tired.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Amps
Well it took a while to get going but the tank replacement is complete. It is over a week now and after 2 flushes no leak so hoping for the best.
The work took about 5 hours. The biggest problem was to take the old tank out. It sits on the frame with the floor on top of it. After cutting the toilet pipe and vent pipe flush with the floor you still have 3/4 inch of pipe left which prevents you from sliding the tank out. So I used a gig saw to cut away the pipes then I could slide it out. These are NOT set up for easy replacement.
My concern is that the black and gray tank sit side by side, the valves are connected directly onto the tanks with a Y in between. This does not allow for the use of flex couplings, nor the use of ABS glue to secure the valve into the black tank. Could only glue it on the outside.
Here are some pictures.

The old and leaking tank showing the internabond tape.:

Cutting away old tank connections, sealing old tank to avoid spillage.
, ,

Preparing new tank, connecting new tank using flex couplings
, , ,

The finished product:

Hope these pictures give you a better look at what is involved when changing a tank.
If you have any questions I will gladly answer them.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Great looking repair. But I'm with Orv, I'm afraid I would have to pay someone to do it. You know that ole Murphies Law, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong! That's the kind of luck I have when I tackle something like this..Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Amps,
Great job and pictures! That is quite a job. You made it look easy. Sure hope that fixes all those tank problems.
Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote