Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Our fridge failed too.

Here are some pictures of our failed refrigerator "boiler"
http://picasaweb.google.com/john.coc...railerPictures

Two things I have learned from this experience:
1. Yellow deposit of sodium chromate is a sure sign of a refrigerant leak. The sodium chromate is bright yellow, and is used as a corrosion inhibitor in the refrigerant.

2. Cooling units can be repaired and there are people around who do this work. Much cheaper than replacing either the whole fridge, or even just the cooling unit.

Thanks to our dealer who directed us to a repair shop when they could have just sold us a new fridge.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
John,

Yellow is NOT your color!

I take it, your frig was not included in that recall??

I was unaware that a frig could be fixed once the YELLOW leaked out, just what was involved, do you know?? And, WHO would we look for to fix this if we have the same situation?? A RV repair shop?? OR???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ours is a local outfit called "Fox RV Refrigerator repair" in Oakville, Ontario. I think if you try googling you may come up with something, Otherwise ask around, preferably at RV repair places that are not primarily RV sales places. I noticed several other places that either repaired, or supplied refurbished units. Last time I checked we were not in the recall.

If you always "wondered where the yellow went" ...now you know! (you probably have to be a "certain age" to get that reference.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John,

Sorry to hear that you, too, have received the "yellow bird" of the refrigerator! It took a lot of washing to get that stuff all out of the compartment. But be careful when washing it out. Put some rags under the fridge on the inside of the rig.

Fortunately we were under the recall and everything was covered. But we will look for a repair outfit if we ever have the problem again. Thanks for the info.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great info!! thanks for sharing it. Stored away, but hope it is never needed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote