Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
minkid
Established Member

M.O.C. #6545
Grey Water Tank

Repairing grey water tank today,just to much ,they sure don't build these things .Artic insulation looked underneath an fell on the ground laughing. oh well still havin fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

minkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
minkid
Established Member

M.O.C. #6545

Well we patched temporary,have to order a new one .This is the last Keystone product for me.been a mobile home service man over 30 yrs, thoght i had seen it all,wrong.I really think they should quit the false adverting they do .
Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by minkid

Well we patched temporary,have to order a new one .This is the last Keystone product for me.been a mobile home service man over 30 yrs, thoght i had seen it all,wrong.I really think they should quit the false adverting they do .
I have never seen any "false" advertising. Maybe I missed something.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
I don't guess I've seen any either. Would be nice to know what it is.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Perhaps the "Artic Package"?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well there may be a fine line between "marketing" and false advertising. The "artic package " is not at all "artic" as marketing suggest but if you investigate further there are realistic specs on the artic package. Besides that silver stuff does have a great deal of insulation properties. Marketing does not falsely advertise " but rather does not tell the whole truth."old world crafstmen" is another marketing thing ...not false.. The Amish are refered to as Old world craftsmen and they do work there..however........???? A mobile home and a Rv are two very different things and built to very different standards. I do understand his fustration... Many of us who have dropped that under belly, My self included) were shocked at what we saw.All part of Rv'ing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
If it is the foil insulation that minkid is referring to, check out this link to one brand of it.

http://www.insul.net/prod_astrofoil_all.html
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
There is also a paint manufactured that creates a thermal barrier and is used in homes where the ceiling is the roof, or close to it. We have to remember that technology changes over the years. Keystone may be using some of that new technology. Of course, I do understand that corners may be cut in the manufacturing process, also.

For information:
Radiant Barrier Paint
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I haven't seen any false advertising here. Nothing in the advertising says it is any more than it is. It's insulation value, not thickness, that counts, after all. Sure works well on ours. Down to 5 below zero so far.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Minkid I just finished putting my grey tank back in after a repair. I got some more astrofoil from lowes and doubled my jts. It has a suprising amount of R-value. That being said I did see that the abs belly that is suppose to be 1/4 inch is realy 1/8 inch on mine but there is no R-value to abs I guess. I also stop all holes with great stuff. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just don't forget to leave some exit for the air pressure that builds up when the furnace pumps heat into the belly. If never in subfreezing weather maybe this isn't a concern.

Doug, thanks for the link. Wayne, too.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

There is also a paint manufactured that creates a thermal barrier and is used in homes where the ceiling is the roof, or close to it. We have to remember that technology changes over the years. Keystone may be using some of that new technology. Of course, I do understand that corners may be cut in the manufacturing process, also.

For information:
Radiant Barrier Paint
I saw something like that displayed in Dallas at a home show. Some sort of ceramic paint. They had a display with decking with a composition roof and a heat lamp on the roof. One area was painted with the barrier paint, and the other was bare. It was amazing how much cooler the painted area was. If I were building again, I would be looking into that stuff.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
minkid,

Where are you? You've got folks wanting some clarification on the proposition you put forth. Please step up and straighten them out. You started it. Now is time to expand or bring about and end to it. We just need you to step and state your positions. Don't quit now.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I remember how disappointed I was when I realized the 'Arctic Package' was just a thin piece of foil.

Thanks Doug, I feel a lot better now and warmer too!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 AM   #15
minkid
Established Member

M.O.C. #6545

Sorry,i should have been more clear on what i saw ,bubble insul is fine ,but their is none outside the frame ,you can look up and see the wood floor.This just is not acceptable workmanship. Doesn't anyone take any pride in what they do anymore. Maybe i was in buisness to long,and have just become a critical old fart.Like the Montana other then all the problems.Maybe when i get them all fixed[one thing after the other]we will have something to be proud of.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd like to see a layer of insulation directly beneath the floor. When it gets down to five below zero, as we have been in, I have to wear slippers when walking around the rig. The floor is too cool for bare feet or socks. Fortunately, there is heat pumped into the belly by the furnace, so nothing freezes down there, not on this 2007 anyhow (earlier years may differ). And we're comfy inside, too.

I'd still like to see more insulation subfloor. And in the slide walls, too.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If anyone wants to put more insulation into the floors or above the belly wrap, Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot all carry the rolls of the foil wrapped bubblewrap that is used in the Artic packages. I have put some of it in my stick house above the blowin insulation and it really helps with the cold and the heat in the summer! It comes in 16, 24, and 48 inch widths. Could be a problem putting it into the walls of the Monte however!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote