Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Tire Wear

We have a 3400RL with a little over 6k on it. The right front tire is wearing evenly, but the other three tires all show wear on the inside of the tires. Took it to the dealer, and he said the axles, tires, etc are all aligned as they should be. He has a call into Keystone to talk to their tire/axle expert. Any suggestions from the group would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
This just doesn't sound right depending on what your indicating "wear" to mean. If three tires show inside wear it would suggest camber out and is due to possible axle bow. Have you looked down from under the king pin to see if the axles look parallel to the ground? If they sag (low in center) then its possible this loads the inside edge of the tires.
The right front tire sounds like it has a belt separation and needs someone to inspect closely looking for a band that shows on sidewall as an indentation going in the radius...from center to tread. Do detailed inspection...may not show on outboard...so look inside as well.
Let us know how you do...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Sorry if I did not fully explain the problem, it has nothing to do with the side walls, just the tread. By 'wear' I mean the tread shows more wear (less tread remaining) on the inside tread of the three tires mentioned than on the outside tread. The right front looks normal, with all the tread wearing evenly. The dealer did all the axle/tire checks while he had the rig and said all were okay. Have not heard from him/Keystone yet, but something is definitely wrong.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Tire wear was the second reason I went to MOR/ryde Individual Suspension axles. It allows for wheel alignment just like wheel alignments on cars and trucks. First reason was to help keep things from jumping around inside the rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Tire wear was the second reason I went to MOR/ryde Individual Suspension axles. It allows for wheel alignment just like wheel alignments on cars and trucks. First reason was to help keep things from jumping around inside the rig.

Orv
Is that different from the Mor/ryde suspension system that comes on the RV as standard?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Eagle Man I heard ya. I still would do my own gander down under to just eye ball them there axles. Camber can do exactly that to the outside as it loads that outside edge and may be even wear all the way around. The one tire that is odd-ball of group needs to be further investigated for another complication...like a failed band/weave internal construction and often shows as dimple on outer shell. This failure can happen from hitting really bad road condition...like (snow sharks...big ugly pot hole) and such.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Eagle Man

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Orv
Is that different from the Mor/ryde suspension system that comes on the RV as standard?
Yes, there's quite a bit of difference. The individual suspension system allows each wheel to move up and down independently from each other. In other words, when you ride over a bump, the front wheel goes up and over, followed by the second wheel that goes up and over. This is as opposed to the suspension systems mounted on keaf springs to the chassis. If you go to www.morryde.com you will see an actual demonstration of this action.

Please be aware that I in now way am associated with MOR/ryde. I just like the product.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I had the same uneven tire wear that you are describing. Inside wear is caused by axles that have lost their camber. The axles were made with an upward bow in center them that keeps the wheel flat on the pavement. This bow creates the camber that makes the tires match up with the crown in the road. The also lets the axles flex with the load on the trailer as it goes over bumps in the road. Do a search on technical problems and you can see my story.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote