Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Camping near Asheville,NC

Am looking for some nice camping sites within 50 miles or less to the southern part of asheville ,NC not on the north side ,, someone told me some good spots but forgot.. will be in the area 2 1/2 weeks till june 15 , then slow to wis by the mack bridge way

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
My wife and I have stayed at the KOA-Swananowa a number of times and liked that park. It's pretty close to all the area attractions like the Blue Ridge Parkway, Bat Cave, and ofcourse the Biltmore Estate. Don't miss the Biltmore, it's beautiful!
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We camped at Pride RV Resort south of I-40 south of Exit 20. This is a nice cg in Maggie Valley with the mountains all around you. Beautiful and it is just a short hop to Ashville. We also took Tom41's suggestion and ate at the Moose Cafe, south Ashville right next to the farmers market and also just south of I-40. Great homecooked eats with fresh veggies and meats.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Another one right next door to the Pride Resort is Creekwood Farms.
www.creekwoodfarmrv.com It's a PA park www.Passportamerica.com
We have stayed at both, and we're happy with both.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We will be staying at Creekwood Farms on May 18, 19, and 20. Looking forward to the stay. We will visit a friend in Wanesville, NC before heading toward home on May 21. If you stay there or nearby, send us an Instant Message (Private Message) or email.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
John, Sharon, Creekwood farms is nice, I have been going there since it was new yrs ago. I'm a;so will be there june 8 thru july 8th, we have many friends that will be spending the summer there for its cool, and a very pleasant place to be at. It is passport america, has free wifi, and a good magement team, Bob the mgr is very helpful, so is Chris who works in the office.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Again Sailer,

If you do stay at Creekwood or Pride, a day trip that has become one of our favorite memories of the area is, a road that takes you into the less traveled part of the Smokies.

Between exit 20 off the I40 and the Campground is a Road that takes you west into a small housing area and then continues up into the Mts. It turns into a very good dirt road. You'll climb into the Forest and and you'll find an area that has been preserved from earlier times. A beautiful old country Church, an old School House and a couple of old Homes that you can just wander thru. It was kind of a magical place. Only saw a few People up there.

You should be able to see the Road I'm talking about on a detailed map. The Name of the Road I have is Cove Creek Mt. Road. I can zoom in on it on my Streets and Trips. Maybe you might want to pack a lunch and have a great as we did.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
There are alot of campgrounds in the area, depending on what you are wanting to do. When I moved here last year, I stayed in Rutledge lake http://www.rutledgelake.com/ which is on the east side off of I-26. Easy access to Asheville while being able to avoid the interstate. Nice, clean park, quite and good location. If you want a killer view out of your window, nothing is better than Campfire Lodging http://www.campfirelodgings.com/index.asp. This is on east side, and you can still avoid interstate. The premier sites have a view that is fantastic. Downside is the road in is gravel/dirt and a tight turn around to get out when you leave. Bear Creek, http://www.ashevillebearcreek.com/ is 1 exit down from Biltmore, and is a good location if you plan on doing tourist stuff while here. It is nice, but more for a place to stay while out doing the town. There are some nice campgrounds near me, Hendersonville, about a 15-20 minute drive to Asheville. One of our favorites, if you like camping on a lake is Cascade Lake http://www.cascadelakerecreationarea.com/. Sites on lake have a private dock, full hook up, no cable, but great place to relax. About 30 minutes out of Asheville. If you stay toward Waynesville/Maggie Valley area and plan on doing alot in Asheville, be ready for some time in traffic. The interstates are a mess, alot of traffic and construction. The I-26/I-40 junction is a parking lot in the afternoons. Enjoy your trip.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:38 AM   #9
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Steve and Nina is correct on cove road, also go there about 5 or 6 in the afternoon and you will probably see all the moose grazing! also take a side trip over to Hot Springs, a very pretty drive and its a small country village for rafting, also some quaint shops and cafes there. 2007 Dura is right about the construction on I-40 bridge at ashville, but if you happen to stay at waynesville, maggie valley area you can reach Ashville via hwy 19 which is a very good road thru the country and a couple small towns and only takes 30 to 35 minutes to reach Ashville from creekwood farms or Pride resort. Be sure to visit the Moose cafe beside the Farmers Market in Ashville. There is so much to see in that whole area, just have fun and enjoy!
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote