Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Awning Center Supports

Do any of you use a center support to hold the awning when it's rolled up?
Mine looks like it has a slight sag in the middle, which makes me think it needs supported.
Would a support do more harm than good, like rubbing a hole in the vinyl?

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:26 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Lonnie
If your awning is over 20 ft long, a support would help it. We had a 3655 before and the long awning required a center support and a center arm. We saw no wear from the support. Our 3475 awning is shorter and I don't see any need for a center support.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Now that is a concern I share as well Lonnie and am glad you brought it up.
The part that stops me from putting that support in there is putting holes in the side of our rig.
I also use a spreader bar in the middle for when it's open, but just used a rubber pad against the side rather than drill the holes to mount it.
Those roller tubes sure don't look very sturdy.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:49 AM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Lonnie I saw recently a awning locking system that would lock and might possibly support at the same time.

I looked for it in new Camping World book, and didn't see it. May have seen it in the recent TrailerLife Mag. SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Lonnie I saw recently a awning locking system that would lock and might possibly support at the same time.

I looked for it in new Camping World book, and didn't see it. May have seen it in the recent TrailerLife Mag. SeeYa
Were you talking about the awning lock described on http://www.awninglock.com/? This only prevents the awning from accidentally unrolling. It provides no support for the center of the awning.
We have the awning lock but do not have a center support and everything seems okay after 6+ years of fulltiming.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:37 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lonnie,

On our last TT rig we installed the center support from A&E that was just a shoe that supported the awning when it was rolled up. Our roller (22') had started to sag just from weight going down the road. The center support helped, but the awning tube was already permanently bent slightly, so once out of the shoe it was still bowed somewhat. We also added the center support rod to overcome the bend in the tube when it was out. Without it the fabric sagged in the middle because of the bow.

I guess if your thinking about it, now would be a good time before the bend in the roller becomes permanent.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
It's not really a bow Brad, just a very slight sag, that's probably not even noticeable to 90% of the world. Maybe I've built too many miles of pipe fence, and chewed out too many hands for sagging rails, because it just jumps out at me every time I look at it.
I haven't ordered anything yet, wanted to get input from the experts first. I don't think my awning is any longer than Orv's, so it's probably not needed. I did order the awning lock that Ozz posted a few months back, it's the same as the one you posted Orv.
Thanks guys, I'll continue to wait and see what others have to say.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We had the center support and extension arm on our last TT. We had a 22' awning. I realy like the idea that I could put some tension upwards on the rolled up awning. I never did develop a bow and boy was it secure when going down the road. Cost was less that $75 installed by my dealer. I'm thinking about doing that for this TT.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lonnie,

This is the sag that caused me worry. You could see the bow in the roller when extending the awning, enough to cause a droop in the fabric before I installed the center support arm.

This was a WIDE awnging though.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
I measured the awning supports, out to out, and took away 8 inches, making the tube to be about 18'-7". After that I stood back and did some carefull eye-balling & decided it's just an optical illusion ( or dillusion ). The way the top of the trailer is shaped makes it look like the awning sags a little.
I decided to leave well enough alone, and just keep a crooked eye on it. If it gets worse, I'll install the support.
Thank you all for your input and the time spent.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:38 AM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Glad to here the awning is not sagging, even to the keen eye LOL.

I did find the system I posted about, don't see that it would help support the awning (my bad). It is a different type of locking system. SeeYa

http://www.rvinnovations.com/CustomDocs/AwningClamp.asp
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm with Ken on this one. On our previous 5er we were shopping for a center support when we bought the Monty because that awning was around 20'. The Monty's awning if shorter and we don't feel it needs a center support.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:03 AM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ours came with one but it may be because it has the metal cover and that adds weight.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
After lsoing an awning to a rain storm we added a center support. When the awning is stowed for travel the center support keeps the roll level and should also keep the awning from being able to billow out. In use it keeps the center of the awning from being able to fill with water and provides another tie down to the ground. We still tilt the awning to one end to allow water runoff.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote