Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Sofa to Futon

Has anybody exchanged their sleeper sofa to a futon? Maybe I should back up here for a minute and let me explain. We have the 2955 model with the sleeper couch and when extended to a bed it opens all the way to the kitchen base cabinet, making it impossible to walk through the unit without climbing over the bed. This situation kind of discourages taking guest with us on overnights. Don't mind it with our granddaughter because she thinks it's kind of cool.
Is there a futon out there that will open to a bed that is kind of comfortable and fits in with the decor of the Monty and has anyone made this conversion?

Jon

Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Jon,

Go to this link:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=18984

Good luck
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We replaced the sofa bed in our 2955 for a futon and love it. In fact if you're in the Clearwater Florida area in mid January we'll swap ya as we will be trading the 2955 and not taking the futon with us. We will be getting the New Airsofa in our new rig.

HOWEVER--It's black and really doesn't fit the decor but a throw cover could change that.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:38 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I never met a futon I cared for.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #5
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I've been thinking about this same thing for awhile. I love the look of Carol's futon. It doesn't take up the room, plus it's got to be soooo much lighter. Also, I need a new sofa in the brick house, the colors would match and we already have one of the recliners from the Monty inside the house. Hmmmm.... We have more company at the house than in the Monty too. It's kind of funny that when we have company, we give them our house and we go the Monty!! It works out real well even though our company thinks we're nuts. I think they're just jealous! LOL
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:56 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
illapah

I hear ya, but don't think this is our hippy days futon mattress. Let me tell you, they have come a LONG LONG way in some 30 years! They have them now with springs in them! OH, MYYYY!!! My son has one like that and it sleeps like a little piece of heaven.

We compromised on this one, it is not quite that good, cause the one with springs you need someone to stand in back and in front of the futon to close it up. With the mattress we purchased we still need 2 people, but we can move from bed to couch positions from the front without pulling it out in the middle of the room.

We purchased ours in Ann Arbor Michigan at a large futon store, walked in, told the guy our situation, he showed us frames, we chose what fit and what matched in color to the wood in Tana, then he showed us mattresses, explaining the difference in all of them, how easy or hard they might fold up, etc. It took me longer to dig through their HUGE inventory of mattress covers than it did to pick out the frame and the mattress.

It sleeps right nice! Al hates it when I want to put it in the sofa position, cause he just LOVES taking a nap on it, with the 4 yorks all cuddled up!

For us it was a compromise of looks vs comfort. I sleep on the futon every night, so, comfort won hands down. I slept on the sofacouchfromhe** for about 2 weeks when my back went out, I was in pain for well over 6 months. As you can imagine, I came to hate that piece of furniture. No back pain with the futon.

Now, if they had offered that air bed couch that is new, I would have been in heaven. Would not have needed to spend all this extra $$ and change. Nahhhh, we are not going to upgrade to a 07.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We put a futon in our previous 5W after trying a couple of other alternatives to the jack knife sofa and it was great. Very comfortable and we had three covers, so we could "change the scenery" every so often.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Heres a place that has all kinds of futons and 3 diffrent pads. You can choose your color of the cover and get drawers also. They give you the size of the frame. Free shipping. www.futoncreations.com
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote