Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Tire Pressure...Again

Yesterday I filled the Montana and truck to max pressure in preparation for our departure on a long trip. Over night, the temperature climbed 25 degrees, thus my 10 tires are now all over inflated. In my part of the country it might be 75 today and 35 tomorrow (or 35 today and 75 tomorrow)...what's the consensus on determining the correct TP with the temps constantly fluctuating?

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bert,
I have been going through the same thing. I set all my tires on the coach, boat trailer, and another trailer to the max pressure first thing in morning when the temps were very cool. For each trailer I set the pressure at the maxium "cold PSI" and left it there, then backed them into the garage for winter. I again do the same in the spring when I pull them out. Have been doing this on all of my trailers over the past 13 years and have not had any trouble. Just the way I do it....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Bert
We do the same thing as Montana Sky. I check them in the morning when i am ready to travel at the recommended 80 lbs. I never retest them unless the alarm goes off on the Pressure Pro while i am traveling. We carry a small 110v campbel compressor that goes over 100 lbs for emergencies. I get the 110V from my honda 2000. Temp plays a big part in the tire pressures and with tire friction you will get higher readings during the day. So far we haven't had any problems. we have had our share of flats and one tire on our 2003 Montana that grew a football on the side of the tire. Goodyear took care of that. I watch the tires very carefully as we have the old cooper Tyco tires on our Montana. So far, we haven't had any problems with them. if one goes, the rest will go in the trash. Ken
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Bert, I recommend the same thing Montana Sky, and Ken do. Check them and adjust them cold. The temperature variant isn't going to be enough to cause any problems. Our temps here are also very eradic at times.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree. Cold tire adjustment is what the manufactureer recommends also.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
AND
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS
USE THE SAME GAGE
AND ALWAYS CHECK THE PRESSURE WHEN TIRES ARE COLD AND
NEVER AFTER JUST AFTER TRAVELING 70 MPH DOWN THE INTERSTATE

If you don't already have your own tire gage I strongly suggest buying one. And not the cheapest one in the store. I would suggest buying at a Auto Parts store and not a Wally World or the Big K. Never ever trust the gages on the air pumps at service stations, convenience stores or even truck stops.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Very good point Glenn, a quality guage is a MUST HAVE item.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote