Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Ripped off at the Dealer

Took my 2980 in for some warranty work. My compartment doors have had the locks changed so I left my keys with the dealer. I made the mistake of leaving some things in my unit that I should not of but at the same time I never dreamed I would need to unload my entire rig. They took my socks, food and wifes towels. They also went thru the laundry chute from the inside of the unit and took some tools and things from underneath. There is not even a sign of forced entry. Dealer says he doesn't have insurance to cover this. He also has no sign inside the dealership that releases his respondsibility.It only states that on a work order which I never signed. Owner has never contacted me only the service manager. Dealer is Del Camino RV Longmont Colo. Just a word to the wise if you go in for warranty work leave your socks at home. I know I will from now on. Al

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Sorry to hear that Al. I would dread the thought of having to leave the trailer at a service center, just for that reason. I guess I've been lucky enough to be able to fix all the small things at home.
So far no major break downs. Mind you, they might think twice about stealing my socks.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry to hear that someone felt they needed your things more than you did. I would sure hate to unload my coach every time it goes to the dealership. Maybe I need to start!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:25 AM   #4
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Al-How terrible. Odd things they took. I have never felt I needed to ever worry about leaving my camper at the dealer. Guess I'll have to think twice before leaving it for something that we might be able to fix.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:45 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry to hear that, there is nothing worse than a thief. I would ask for some parts at cost, this would work with the dealer to help the money come out right, that would cost him nothing, and soften the loss for you.
If I were the dealer, I would do it.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:36 AM   #6
Montana_6466

M.O.C. #6466
It is really sad that people or persons have to be like that. Can you turn it in to your insurance? I know one does not like to do that but if some items were valuable than it would probably be worth it. Sorry this has happened.
Montana_6466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:20 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A thief can always get what they want. This also spot lights the good it does to change compartment locks. We have some motion sensors in the camper that make a lot of noise when activated but given the means and the time the thief has the advantage..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
I know it's kinda late but...Yesterday I purchased the roadside service from good sam..(109.00) the platinum package includes up to 5000 in coverage for the contents in the RV or the tow vehicle. I think it is a pretty good deal if anyone knows of a better one let me know...Mike
RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Too bad Al, well if the dealer wont take care of it, then you always have your trailer insurance company, they have to honor the contract.
I had my trailer wortked on at Mike.T. RV. a while back and niticed that the sliding closet door was open, they tried to say I left it open but after I gave them the riot act the appoligised. so any time that I bring the rig in I go through the RV with the service writer and show him the inside and the out for any damage (which there is none) and when I pick it up I reverce the inspection. they are realy good for getting the carpet durty along with the walls, they clean that up if it happens.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
To all that have replied Thanks. I am not going to turn this into my insurance as they only raise your rates to cover the loss. As far as seeking legal council goes I probably should go that route or take him to small claims court. I have chosen this route because I feel like word of mouth will do more damage to him than the legal route. I am out about 1300.00 for the stuff that was taken. I also found out from a friend that is a service manager for an RV place near where I live that if a customers trailer is in his yard for service he also locks the dead bolt. Anyone who works at an RV dealership has access to a key that can open any trailer entry door. I am talking about the flapper lock on the door not the dead bolt. He also told me he can change mine so that you need my keys to get in for 15.00 I did not know that master keys for flapper door locks fit all units. I'm sorry I even took my trailer for warranty service but I had decal and front compartment door issues that I could not fix myself. If I had to do it over again I would of just lived with the problem. I have already chased a few people away and I know that doesn't fix my problem but maybe a Keystone Rep will see this thread and look into what kind of dealers they have selling there products. thanks again for your replys. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
So sorry for the loss of your stuff. We will not go back there again. We did order a wheel from them and will pick it up this week.
After that we are finished with them.
Since they have new owners, the service has been bad. They couldn't find out what was wrong with our AC and told me it was running fine all day. I find that hard to believe because it just didn't work that way. Durtherm replaced the AC and it definitely did have something wrong with it. Durtherm found it defective.
When their service was good, and the previous owners, we considered buying our next Montana from them but we will not do that now.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 AM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BigAl52

To all that have replied Thanks. I am not going to turn this into my insurance as they only raise your rates to cover the loss. As far as seeking legal council goes I probably should go that route or take him to small claims court. I have chosen this route because I feel like word of mouth will do more damage to him than the legal route. I am out about 1300.00 for the stuff that was taken. I also found out from a friend that is a service manager for an RV place near where I live that if a customers trailer is in his yard for service he also locks the dead bolt. Anyone who works at an RV dealership has access to a key that can open any trailer entry door. I am talking about the flapper lock on the door not the dead bolt. He also told me he can change mine so that you need my keys to get in for 15.00 I did not know that master keys for flapper door locks fit all units. I'm sorry I even took my trailer for warranty service but I had decal and front compartment door issues that I could not fix myself. If I had to do it over again I would of just lived with the problem. I have already chased a few people away and I know that doesn't fix my problem but maybe a Keystone Rep will see this thread and look into what kind of dealers they have selling there products. thanks again for your replys. Al
Al, Your insurance should not go up for 1 claim, I have three claims in my trailer and had no increese, thats what you pay for, them to take care of business when a problem like this happens, they might even go and pressure the RV place a little too, dont forget they give a lot of business to the repair of RV's when an accident happens, if they get a lot of complaints they could loose some serious business. and if you have an insurance company that is that does business like that I would look for another provider, there are lots of them out there.
TT2
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 AM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Yes I would turn it into insurance. We had hail damage on one of our previous 5th wheels and insurance fixed it. Our rates did not go up.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al

Agree with the others, we have had several insurance claims on RV's over the last 20 years, one for almost $5000 for hail damage (and that was only ONE side of the TT). Our rates never went up.

Maybe you can ask some descrete questions of your agent on that.

Sorry you are going through this silliness.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote