Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good RV Parks, vicinity of St. Augustine, FL?

We're still in the "toying" stage but are "toying" with the idea of being in the St. Augstine, FL, area next Jan/Feb.

We would appreciate recommendations for good rv parks in the area and those to stay away from. We don't have to be right in St. Augustine but within easy driving distance is fine. Or in St. Augustine.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Steve, we are staying at Beechcomer for a week befor the Rally in Datona. I don't know much about it yet but I will let you know. It is a RPI park and I'm not sure if it is open to the public or not. I'm sure someone knows something about St. Augustine and can tell you more.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, do not remember the name, but I believe I can give you general directions and maybe you can find the park that way. We stayed there in February of 2002, I won't go into how cold it was the week we were there, cause others will come along and tell you how fine the weather can be, and we know that every area has it's winter days (like Saturday was here in Mission)!

OKKK, from town, go north to A1A (which crosses water, big bridge). I believe we were out on A1A. Follow A1A north, it was maybe a mile or two north. I see the name of North Beach Camp Resort on Microsoft Streets and Trips, but, it appears on the map on the wrong side of the road, but then we all know that S & T has a error here and there.

Here is a photo of our Layton on our campsite, it was rather private, as you can see, trees and shrubs around the campsites.

We were not there for 2 months, only for 3 or 4 nights, but we thought it was nice. Not long enough to judge for a long timing stay.

OHHH, it is SANDY! the Atlantic Ocean is right across the highway.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks Steve and Carol. Carol, are there full hookups in that park? Sometime in the next couple of months I'll lock this all down.

I would think the weather would be a lot like Savannah, GA, was last year when we spent Jan/Feb there. Cooler than here in the valley but still very comfortable. 30's at night, with a couple of upper 20's, most days in the low seventies and upper sixties with a few in the fifties. We can deal with that. I can't believe we're running the AC again today, in February!
Old 02-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
The way I remember it there were full hookups, yep.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:08 AM   #6
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
After a week of fighting the traffic in the Fort Lauderdale and Orlando areas, we are also considering North Florida as a winter destination when we retire. Have seen some good reports about Flamingo Lakes RV Resort in North Jacksonville.

http://www.flamingolake.com/

Would be interested in further reviews of Flamingo Lakes as well as other suggestions in the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Anastasia state park is directly on the water, driving distance, maybe 5 minutes, was nice and far enough away for a relaxing few days.
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:43 AM   #8
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Fort Clinch S/P in Fernandina Beach, FL is very nice. It is situated on the north end of Amelia Island. They have a campground on the beach and one in a wooded area on the Amelia River. The submarines pass right by the park going in and out of the Kings Bay sub base. Really neat if you are lucky enough to be there when one passes. You need to make reservations early and I think they limit stays to two weeks.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #9
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Were in Indian Forest camp grounds Apr 3-6 coming from the SE Montana Rally. The web page looked very good and it is a Passport America site. See you all at the 2006 Daytona Rally.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Bill and Bobbi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5292
We live in the Ocala area and we or friends have stayed at several St. Augustine parks. Bryn Mawr "resort" offers a lot,not cheap is big and busy,nice location. Stage Coach has less amenities but was quite and affordable,close to 2 outlet malls(good sam c/g too) Indian Forest,good sam-bigger mostly underdeveloped lots of dirt roads and trees,close to a decent flea mkt. Anastasia st pk is tops for beach access and affordable-friends go there regularly.North Beach c/g is across the road from beach,big, lot of small scrub type oaks,you have to very careful as to the site,not bad but we weren't impressed. We are spending Easter week in Bryn Mawr. Ocala/Marion county is beautiful and has lots of c/g's too,usually we get more folks wanting to escape the "Disney" atmosphere.
Bill and Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We are watching this very closely because we too are planning on spending the winter in Flordia so keep it coming.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:43 AM   #12
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
I called Flamingo lakes and they have a 30pound limit on dogs, but they said not to worry about it. We stayed at Pecan Park north of Jacksonville for a couple of weeks. It was nice, flea market next door, but noisy from the airport. PP was cheaper than F Lakes. I'm with Helen, keep the info coming! Kim
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:12 AM   #13
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Bill and Bobbi, Don't have a calender right here so not sure of exact date of Easter. We have reservation for Bryn Mawr April 8,9,10. Wanted to check this park out on our way north. Perhaps our dates will coincide with yours and we will get a chance to meet. We leave the Orlando area on April 5, and will be going to Salt Springs in the Ocala National Forrest for 3 nights and then on to St. Augustine Beach. We have never stayed in St. Augustine, so wanted to also check the area out as a winter destination. After St. Augustine we are going up to Cape Hatteras, NC, for a few days. Let us know your dates at Bryn Mawr either here or via email.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks to everyone for the terrific information. I am saving this info. Before too long we need to make some decisions and then reservations.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:19 AM   #15
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Steve, we are staying at Beechcomer for a week befor the Rally in Datona. I don't know much about it yet but I will let you know. It is a RPI park and I'm not sure if it is open to the public or not. I'm sure someone knows something about St. Augustine and can tell you more.
Let me know how you like the Beachcomer CG. I saw that it was an RPI park but have never been there.
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote