Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Filling the hot water heater

We are going on our rookie trip this week. I have read alot but still wonder how do you know if the hot water heat is filled with water? Does it fill when we connect to water at the RV park?? Rookie question with a new 3475RL.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
One way to tell is to hook up to a water supply and turn on the hot water faucet. The heater is ful of air and that air needs someplece to vent. You will hear th water running into the hate and the hisss of air escaping from the faucet. Be careful because it WILL spit at you!
Only after you have a free flow of water from all faucets is the air out of the system and it is sae to turn on the water heater.
PS same for cold water side!
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
This works if the heater isn't bypassed (if it is bypassed, it won't take long to get water, if it isn't bypassed, it will take a long time to fill the tank, and there will be a lot of air coming out of the faucet). As a backup, try the relief valve on the tank that's accessible from outside the trailer. If it spits at you, the heater is full.
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
These guys are right. I filled mine just this evening and fired it up to make sure there were no spiders or webs in the burner. It took about 4-5 minutes to fill and fired up on the first try. Louisiana here I come!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hi Fultimedreamer- Since you have been to Louisiana & are going again, which is the best way to go through it but yet miss all the bad roads everyone has mentioned? We really wanted to go to New Orleans.
Thanks-Ronni
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I will be taking I-10 from Mobile over to I-12 and then drop down to Lacombe, LA on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain.. I have not traveled I-10 all the way into New Orleans so I can't help you there.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote