Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #21
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Another vote for the Baby Q!!! It is incredible. We had a new Roadtrip that nearly went up in flames along with the fiver 2 months after we got it. A fire was shooting out of the left burner control and wrecked the grill. Sent a letter to Coleman and they responded by saying the warrany is void if you preheat or cook with the lid down, WOW! Weber Baby Q is really quite a great grill.

The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #22
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Definitely the Weber Q. We have the "baby Q" and love it. We considered the larger "Q" but with only two of us, the "baby" works fine. We bought the optional griddle for it, which works good....when we use it, which we actually seldom do. Depends on what you want to use it for. But as far as a barbecue, I would definitely buy another one. We also bought the folding stand as well. It's a bit fussy to set up, but works good overall. We've had this one three years now, and it's still going strong. I did buy the hose adapter and use a 20 pound bottle as I got tired of changing out the small throwaway bottles. We used to carry it in the basement, but then I started just putting it in the pickup bed under the overhang of the fiver, behind the hitch. Rides just great there. I'd go with the "Q" again if this one ever wears out, which I doubt it will in my lifetime.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #23
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
After years of trying almost every other one, we bought a Weber Q220 two years ago and have been very satisfied. It is easy to clean and cooks evenly. I also purchased the folding stand and griddle...nothing like pancake or bacon & eggs hot off the griddle! My biggest complaints against the Weber's competitors is durability...one or two seasons and they are junk.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 AM   #24
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
We purchased the Road trip and are very happy with the way it cooks. As other have stated, it is very difficult to clean. I went to Wally World and bought a general purpose stiff nylon brush. This last trip, I grilled burgers and such and it was as hard as ever on the grill and in the tray below. I put the grill plates in dawn soap and used the brush. I took a hose and sprayed down the grill after going over it with Dawn soap and the brush. Total time was about 5 minutes. I wiped it down and fired up the grill to dry the parts.

A couple minutes later a neighbor came over and commented how easy the grill cleaned up. He went and bought a brush. I now will not hesitate to use the traveler as much as possible.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #25
klefevre

M.O.C. #10290
I hae both the Weber and coleman, as others stated the colman is a little tougher to clean but with the griddle it is a great breakfast grill, keeps the fiver oder free, the Weber is a Great grill very rugged and cooks steaks great, Weber does not flare up, one of there trade marks in thier design. I go wiith the Weber but my road trip has its place as well. Good luck
klefevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #26
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have had a Q220 and stand for 3 years. It has needed a couple of parts, but Weber sent them out for free even though the warranty is only 2 years.

As for cleaning, I generally take a wire wheel brush attached to a cordless drill about every 9 months or so, depending on use, to the grill grate. I also wire brush the burner tube to remove any food debris from the holes and then clean out, with just water, the carcass of the bbq. Once all is clean, I light it up and season it with Crisco.

We use the lid of a cheap storage container (we had one left over) on which we store the bbq in the basement so that it traps any spilled grease.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #27
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Coleman Roadtrip! Quick set up. Easy clean up. Can cook a whole meal for 4 people in about 15 minutes. Steaks or buffalo burgers, corn on the cob, asparagus, and zucchini all on the grill.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #28
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Ditto on "get the Q", I just replaced our stick home Weber with another Weber, after 15 years only because I wanted to not because I had to.

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #29
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Baby "Q" for us. I have had it for over 4 years. Easy to clean. I did have a regulator failure but it was fixed easily. We went to the "Q" after using the Thermos "Grill-to-go" In cool conditions 40 degrees it was hard to cook. Not enough BTU's and if it was windy it would never heat up. The "Q" works well even in the mid 20's. The only mistake we made is not getting the shelves. We run it on a small 4lb propane tank that lasts a long time and doesn't leak like the small bottles.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #30
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Like Johnnyg's post, we too installed a connection off the passenger side 30 pounder just before the regulator. Then a 10' hose to the grill. We use the Baby Q every trip and have had only one problem with it. A year after purchase the regulator failed. Had to wait for a week or so for the factory to send a new one (no charge). We were at the beginning of a week long trip to Maine with no grill. Went to every hardware store and Weber Authorized dealer in the area and could not get a replacement regulator. (Just had to eat more Lobster) Grill works very good, cleans well and does not take up too much room in the storage compartment. We also bought the cart that was built for the Q but then got a small folding table from Camping World that has a wire rack for the grill attached. That is very handy as it provides lots of work area next to the grill. Unfortunately, the cart is now collecting dust in my garage.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #31
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I have the roadtrip and it is tuff to clean, heavy,takes up alot of room and perhaps too much grill for just the two of us. Looking at the baby Q but read many bad reviews on the CW site. I was a Weber charcoal grill fan before I got old and lazy and switched to gas. Need someone to tell me to ignore the whining on the CW site and that baby Q can do a steak with the best of grills.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #32
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I use a remote digital thermometer (Maverick) with my babyQ and haven't had a bad steak since.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #33
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I own a blue Coleman Roadtrip and while I have never used a Weber Baby Q, I have seen them in action. The Roadtrip is big, heavy and slightly more difficult to clean (until you learn a couple of tricks). As pineranch mentioned, it might be a little too much grill for the two of us. But when you are cooking in a group, it runs circles around the Baby Q. The larger grill area holds two dozen oysters, or 10 Lbs of chicken wing, or 10 steaks or 12 chicken breasts all at one time. And with the water tray under the burners, there are no flareups or fires!!!!

I used to carry a Smoky Joe for the time when it was just the two of us. But I am also too old and lazy (also impatient) to wait for the charcoal to get ready. We tend to travel with one or more couples. If it was just the two of us, I would go with the Weber Go-Anywhere Gas Grill as suggested by simonsrf.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #34
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well said, Carl. I don't even get the grill out unless we have someone to share the fun.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #35
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We also use the Weber Baby Q, works great! We also use a folding table and use the propane bottle on the curb side.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #36
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
For my money, you can't beat the Q. We liked ours so well we bought another Weber for home use.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote