Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Satellite Antenna Options

We're tired of hassle of aiming our Dish Network satellite every time we move the Montana. We would welcome any comparisons of the roof-mounted self-aiming satellite vs. the portable cube. We have HD and a DVR. We like to record programs. And what about security with the cube? Any comments would be appreciated.

John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
We have the vuecube, but haven't used it yet. I did quite a bit of research, and I'm sure we'll be happy with it. Security is an issue, for sure but I think I've solved most of that. I got a tripod for a dish system from my Dad, who doesn't use it anymore...I've modified it to mount the cube onto it and can use it several ways. With the cube mounted on the center post, I can clamp it up on my ladder and cable lock it all to the ladder. With the tripod on the ground, I have the tripod mounted to a plate that will go under any tire...monty or dodge...and they'll play holy heck getting it. You can buy mounts for the vuecube for different applications, but they are pricey....my "fixes" cost me less than 50 bucks total. You just gotta be creative.
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have been thinking about the same question. From my Ham Radio experience I have learned the size of the antenna helps with the quality of the received signal.
Talking with those that have Direct TV HD they need a larger antenna then regular satellite so I would check the small portable antennas for quality of signal reception for HD if they will even work on HD. This web site says using the VuCube on HD has to be with DISH Network.
I know Dave (exnavydiver) has a "bird dog" satellite finder that is expensive but solves the pointing and aiming problem for the most part.
Roof mounted systems are restricted by trees or buildings so parking the RV becomes an issue.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
From the King controls site.....

""HDTV. For customers wanting to received HDTV programming with our mobile antennas, we recommend Dish Network HDTV programming as you can access all available channels. These antennas are not compatible with DIRECTV's Ka band HD signals which require a typical home style dish that is 3' wide x 2' high.
""
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
jordjd
Established Member

M.O.C. #10078
I have a VuQube, and it can be a real pain to setup,not like the book says, with the unit level the elevation is never where the remote shows, looking for replacement, might sell this one.
jordjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Before we bought our Big Sky, we camped next to Exav8tr. He showed us his Winegard Traveller. That's what we bought. Full HD without additional add-ons. Hit one button when we arrive and by the time we are set up, TV is ready to watch. Even in high winds, we don't lose reception - rock steady. Drawbacks - cost, thick trees - poor reception. Plusses, easy setup, no more putting satellite dish up in the dark and rain, no extended time spent setting up and done from inside. We usually set up late on Fridays so we are in the dark when we arrive. Hitting a button and then being able to sit down with a cold one - priceless.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I gotta agree with Rames14, except poor reception. The only time it falters is in "Heavy" rain... We sure love the convenience, BUT you cannot park under the trees, which may be a drawback for some. We had ours mounted midship, we like being out of the trees as they can make a mess and can be treacherous in windy conditions. DW likes the abiity to record one and watch another, We ran another coax cable to the Bedroom TV and have the standard HDTV in there, the one in LR has the DVR function. Push that one button and we are good to go. Camping,(and I use the term loosely), could not be better....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I'm considering the Winegard Portable auto unit. comes with 50' cable. It's about 15"high and 20"dia. Looks like half a beach ball, and youcan get a tripod for it. List is $899, just saw it at Camper World on sale for $699. Believe if you want HD you need to go to DishTv
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have the carry out Winegaurd. Love it, love it, love it. We have dish but are not interested in HD. Works great for us. We have the tripod for it also. We hook a large cable to it and feel it is pretty secure. Like anything if someone wants it, they will find a way to get it. We've had it for 6 months. Just hook it up and hit a button. Best $$$ spent for loss of frustration. We paid around $700 with the tripod. Got it off the next in the spring. I think they are coming down in price.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The two reasons we didn't go with a dome or cube are:
1. We have Directv. Dish doesn't offer as much programing.
2. I was concerned about not having the option of moving the dome to avoid trees and things as I was considering a permanent roof mount.
As HD programming expands Dish will ultimately have to use more than one satellite as Directv does in my opinion.
If HD is important to you my advice is to wait a little while. Hopefully the dome manufacturers will develop a unit that will allow you to get HD from multiple satellites easily. As popular as HD has become it probably isn't far off either.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Having the Wineguard Travler for DirecTV HD installed tomorrow. I'll keep my old small portable dish for the rare time when the roof mount is blocked by trees or buildings. I would think, with the height of the Montie unless we're almost under the trees (such as most sites in Letchworth State Park) we should be able to clear most. Headed for Allegany State Park mid-week so I'll give an update next week when we get back (no cell or 3g coverage in the park).

Regards, Michelle
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Greg, the Traveller locks in 3 satellites already and comes in either Dish or Directv models. It adjusts Azimuth, Elevation and Skew. Although not a dome, I'm pretty sure the only advantage of a dome is on motorhomes where people watch while going down the road. Phil, as long as I am not completely blocked, I can still get reception in the trees.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #13
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

We have the Winegard Carry out and love it. It does take a little getting used to on which sat setup to use. Once I figured that out it is very easy to use and setup. I have a 25 foot cable I hook to the dish and padlock it to the trailer. Never had any issues other than people asking questions. We have Directv, so no HD, but after all, we are out camping and have to make sacrifices...
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Thanks for all the input. We appreciate it? Does anyone have experience with the cube and recording several programs while your TV is turned off? Does it shift from one satellite to another, record 2 programs at once, like we can do with our manual dish? When there are trees and nearby RVs, does the cube work on the ground or does it need to be on a tripod? Keep the comments coming.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote