Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
Hot water heater

Well, I guess there are glitches with everything new.....my glitch is the hot water heater. When I have the hot water tank set on the electric setting it will not heat the water and the light stays on constantly. If I turn it to the gas setting the water is heated and the light goes out. Should I be looking for a fuse or should I be calling a dealer?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

KardRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Did you turn on the rocker switch at the water heater behind the outside panel? It has a 'safety pin' to help prevent unwanted application of power that must be removed to set to 'ON'
The heating element may be burned out if someone had the electric switch set to 'ON' without water in the tank and plugged into shore power.
Always a good idea to check all fuses and circuit breakers when electrical problems arise.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #3
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
illapah....it's the simple things in life, as well as the simple minded (like myself). I did not have it in the on position, but it is now. Thanks for your invaluable assistance. I love this site!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Im pretty sure that the switch on the actual water heater is for electric heating and the switch inside is for propane. On mine, which im sure on most of yours, you can heat with both, but the switch inside the rv is for propane only, not electric.
dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
KardRV
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10180
My switch on the inside of the trailer has electric or gas. When I initially switched the hot water heater to electric the red fuse light came on but did not go off, but when I turned it to gas the water was heated. Now since I turned the outside switch to the on position I can turn the inside switch to electric and the fuse comes on for a second and than it goes off and the water is heated. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Dmaxmountaineer -

I'm not sure about the new Mountaineer, but the newer Montanas have an activation switch on the heater for electric and switches inside to turn on both gas and/or electric. The older Montanas had the electric switch outside and the gas switch inside. The only danger is running electric without water in the tank - it will quickly burn out the element. So, if I'm draining my tank, I also switch off the tank switch so neither I or DW turn the electric on inside accidentally without water in the tank. Hope this helped.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

Dmaxmountaineer -

I'm not sure about the new Mountaineer, but the newer Montanas have an activation switch on the heater for electric and switches inside to turn on both gas and/or electric. The older Montanas had the electric switch outside and the gas switch inside. The only danger is running electric without water in the tank - it will quickly burn out the element. So, if I'm draining my tank, I also switch off the tank switch so neither I or DW turn the electric on inside accidentally without water in the tank. Hope this helped.
i thought i read somewhere that the new ones have both switches. It must be just in the mountaineers that doesnt have them. Mines a 2010 so i figured they would throw it in. Guess not. Oh well, its not that big of a pain.
dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
I didn't realize the switch accessed outside thru the panel did not have to be turned on for the gas to work. I've always just assumed it was a master switch to kill the inside panel.
Kind of a safety back-up.
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
On our 3400rl, both the gas and electric function switches are located inside on the same panel that holds the tank sensor monitors. When we press the toggle switch for the water heater to be operated by electricity, the switch glows red and continues to do so until it is turned off...I have thought it was supposed to stay on to remind forgetful people like me to turn it off when moving from site to site (avoid powering up at new/next site under load), and especially when draining the tank so that we do not do something foolish, like rames14 suggested...and like I did a while back. Oh by the way, I guess our hot water heater also functions by gas...have not yet tried that. With the larger hot water tank, and what seems to me to be a very efficient electrical operation, we just have not been inclined to test the gas function...it would probably be a good idea to do so before the warranty expires???
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote