Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Heat register in shower/toilet area

Since I am always up before the DW, on cold mornings I would turn the furnace up, turn the coffee on and close the pocket doors to isolate the toilet/shower area. By doing this all the heat was going into the bedroom making that area very warm and with the little round noisy register in the toilet area it did not warm up very quickly to have my shower.

Today I put a 2 ¼” X 10” register beside the tub, this spot uses the same ducting that feeds the bedroom register and works like a charm, the bedroom now does not overheat and the shower area warms quickly for when you get out. Total cost was $12.00 for the register. The register is out of the pathway and out of the way when you step out of the shower.

Tools required are a drill to make a 5/16 hole in the corners of the part you are cutting out and a saber saw, two #8 x ¾” machine screws and a Robertson screwdriver.

Time to install, about 15 min, time to consider what a mess it was going to be if I goofed in my measurements before making the first cut, quite a long time….

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Nice clean job Ed.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Nice work....
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Nice Job Edward, I will do the same in my 3402rl ...by the way looking at your shower do you have a problem with that shower head wand not locking in position mine just slides down so i just put a rubber hose clamp to keep mine up on the pole
Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

looking at your shower do you have a problem with that shower head wand not locking in position mine just slides down so i just put a rubber hose clamp to keep mine up on the pole
Someone posted a fix on here, had to put a shim behind the button. Lets see if WE can find that post....
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Well, I've just spent the last 20 minutes doing searches for the shower head fix and found nothing.

So, from memory, you have to pop the end caps off at the top and bottom support bars, and remove the screws that hold the bar on.

Slide the holder off and then you can take it apart.

I cut a plastic milk jug down to use as a shim(approx 1" square) to put behind the button that you push to let the wand slide up/down.

This worked great tighten up the wand.

Hope this helps.......
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thank you Tom for the info ,I will do that it's gotta look better than a hose clamp(jimmy-rigged)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
BigSkyJimmy wrote:
Quote:
quote:
Nice Job Edward, I will do the same in my 3402rl ...by the way looking at your shower do you have a problem with that shower head wand not locking in position mine just slides down so i just put a rubber hose clamp to keep mine up on the pole
Yup my shower head slides down as well, I just follow it down and usually wind up on my knees by the time I am finished....Just kidding.

Straw bales, rubber hose clamps, whoa man what next....

Will get on with the suggested fix on mine as well, getting ready to head out about the 26th or 27th. I just got finished my generator/storage box and have a couple more projects to complete before hauling down the I5.

By the way anyone who does the same mod and puts the register where I did, will find that the vent area between the alum floor studs was enclosed with galvanized sheet metal on the top and bottom. So you will be cutting through the top part as well as the floor, so don't panic just don't cut too deep.

Just because the Quality Control chappy might have been asleep when the duct work was done, make sure in the basement that the duct is the same one that carries on to feed the bedroom register and goes all the way back to the wall at the staircase. You will be just opposite where the shower drain goes through the floor. I would hate to have someone make the hole and find nothing underneath. So do your own QC because we know Keystone doesn't always do it.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thas right my man! hose clamps ,straw bales ,duct tape, super glue, whatever it takes I'm the king of JIMMY RIGGING!!! it aint always pretty but i make it work
Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Looking forward to splittin a mouse n fritters with you Jimmy, and of course a tour of the Jimmy Rigged mansion one day, have a good one buddy.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
If you are ever headed down our way Edward let us know I'll supply the Rat fritters you bring the Molsons, we live in a resort called Deep lake resort in Olympia right on the lake and next to the state park ..GREAT FISHING!!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Nice job!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

If you are ever headed down our way Edward let us know I'll supply the Rat fritters you bring the Molsons, we live in a resort called Deep lake resort in Olympia right on the lake and next to the state park ..GREAT FISHING!!
We usually Camp at Millersylvania at least once a year, And had thought about Deep Lake when we started Full timing, If you don't mind me asking whats the fees there and whats the policy on Dogs?

Thanks George and Karin
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Hi George, yea this Resort is one of a kind we are glad we found it and will never move ,it is 500.00 a month for lakeside spot and i think 475 for NON lake view that includes WI-FI garbage ,sewer, 100+ channel Comcast cable . They have a little marina for your small boat ,nice yards,BEAUTIFULL lansdcaping,Yes you can have dogs BUT they must be quiet and not tied up all day outside. .GO to WWW.deeplakervresort.com to get the rest of the info, ALSO it is a Gated community, very secure and private
Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Now that is familiar stumping grounds, I grew up at Grand Mound and remember riding my bicycle to Deep Lake and was always awstruck at the story I heard that it was called Deep Lake because they had never found the bottom, wrong... Years later we drilled a new water well for the State Park so I asked the ranger just how deep is this lake and he sure disappointed me by telling me it was like 10 or 12 feet deep at the most. It was still our favorite place back in the 50s and 60s. Our church had its youth camp at the West end for many many years, till it became pretty well, run down. Lovely place, always will hold many special memories, enjoy
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yea Chet you are right it use to be a public resort you could rent boats etc.... I think around the year 2000 they turned it to a private gated resort and redesiged it to only 22 spots ,I know it is funny thay call it deep lake the deepest part is 17 ft over by the state park but it is spring feed and really clear..GREAT FISHING! Also at the West end you are right the state park still rents out the ELC they call it to all sorts of groups, we walk or row our boat up there all the time it it is pretty nice and not run down anymore they have like 16 cabins there for people to sleep in... pretty cool!!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Nice mod. Thanks for sharing and especially the update. Should be perfect for our 3582.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote