Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #21
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There is plenty of information on the Internet about the advantage of 6v over 12v batteries when it comes to performance - they discharge slower, recharge faster might even last longer because of this. The tradeoffs are that 6v batteries can be more expensive, heavier and a different shape so installation may require some work. Cost is the main reason RVs are sold with 12v and not 6v.

Bob (Perry), with all the posts saying otherwise that would be a GREAT choice. Besides the 6v versus 12v having different discharge and recharge attributes and operational attributes, this alone should suggest they NOT be used at the same time. Forcing specific batteries to work with another type of battery is not a good idea except if it's an emergency and it's for a short time. Going to and living on the way to Alaska is NOT a good example of mixing batteries. For example, I wouldn't tape a C battery to a AA just because they have the same 1.5v ratings, because of their other attributes. Batteries have more than voltage as attributes.

Rather than carry extra weight to have two sets of batteries that do the same thing, such as two 12v batteries in parallel, or two 6v in series (plus two more 6v in series then connected in parallel to the other 6v set), just stick with one set of the same rating (and age) of batteries - all 12v or all 6v.

I had two 12v in parallel. Then one failed and I now have one 12v by itself. When it eventually fails, I will convert to the two 6v in series. If I used my rig more often I would also install another set of 6v batteriers. I hear that the average performance is that the 6v is better than 12v. For this reason I am willing to pay more for the 6v solution that should outperform the 12v solution as my next option for batteries.

I also carry dual Hondas for backup. I don't mind using gasoline for the gennys because it is plentiful and available everywhere. My experience with propane is you have to find it and it isn't always available at all hours of the day so this backup is a great alternative. I suppose if I had an installed genny I might change my mind or carry several large propane bottles and/or change to 40# tanks to increase runtime.

Whatever is done, just pay attention to all weight specifications especially if you are like me and must be careful of adding much weight. Heavier 6v batteries, one or two 12v batteries, two or four 6v batteries, battery boxes and venting, larger propane bottles, fuel for gennys; all these should be considered. Every ounce counts somewhere!

I am happy (and a little envious) that you are going to Alaska. Enjoy! Besides the coach batteries, get the best camera you can get, you'll be glad you have it!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #22
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
We replaced the original battery with 2 six volt AMG (sealed) batteries providing 300 amp hours of storage. In theroy the AGM batteries don't need to be vented but i built a box out of pine,vented it mostly to protect the batteries and connections. The key to battery life is to limit the discharge to 50% or less. The inverter will allow you to run the 110volt circuits off the batteries. Many of the inverters will provide a better converter to recharge the batteries and a monitor to see your usage and battery charge status. One 2000 watt generator will recharge the batteries and run the microwave and some 13500 air conditioners.

I have only heard great things about Alaska, the fishing is great. Enjoy you trip!
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote